cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Phoenix to Albuquerque

HPYHILM
Explorer
Explorer
What is the best and easiest route in the fall. All you snowbirds give me your opinion. Thanks.
Hpyhilm
NW Washington
2008 Monaco Knight 38PDQ
14 REPLIES 14

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
For the record I first encountered the poor road conditions in the immediate Flagstaff area last April on our way to Utah. Once was quite enough thank you very much. :S
Since we were bound for Moab by way of Tuba City skipping Flagstaff was not adoption.

On the return trip, again passing through Tuba City, I managed to avoid all but 2 miles of I-40 and all of I-17 by taking Lake Mary Road south for 60 miles to 87 and then south down through Strawberry, Pine and Payson. I shared this as an alternate route in my earlier post.

On my recent trip to the Flagstaff area {last week}, I deliberately skipped I-17/I-40 in the RV and was focused on a lot of quality time on my bike. Dodging potholes from the back of a Harley is a challenging but satisfying riding skill and enabled us to see a lot of fine sites - Meteror Crater, Snowbowl, Williams and Camp Verde {to name just a few}.

Between my Class C, Harley and car I drive about 40,000+ miles a year and am always happy to share what have learned with others. Comments like yours, inferring foolishness on my part, are not particularly well received especially when I was just trying to help out the OP with good, current information.

:C

RE_Todd
Explorer
Explorer
Desert Captain wrote:
RE_Todd wrote:
If it's that bad, stop going there ๐Ÿ™‚
Desert Captain wrote:
IMHO: AVOID Flagstaff at all costs. I-17 and I-40 anywhere near Flagstaff are two of the worst interstates in the country. Potholes are everywhere and many that they have attempted to fill with uneven concrete patches are worse. On both, the closer you get to Flagstaff the worse it gets but the last 10 - 20 miles are ridiculous.

I have been through Flagstaff 3 times this year as recently as last week. These roads will beat your rig to death. Once you get east of Flagstaff I-40 is fine. West all the way to Williams is terrible and I-17 from Camp Verde north is probably the worst of all.

Sharing useful information with others is basically what this Forum is all about. Having first hand knowledge of the terrible road conditions I shared that info in answer to the OP's original query. It's too bad you fail to grasp the concept.

:R
I grasped it, hence the smiley face. Thanks for the share, we all appreciate it :B :B
TinBenders
2002 Jeep Wrangler
39.5's, Atlas, D60's.

2014 Thor Chateau 35SK.
BTW, It's a Super C!!

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
brooks379 wrote:
For me the best route is through Globe, Show Low, Socorro and up I 25. A lot less traffic and you get to see beautiful Salt River Canyon.

For those coming from the east valley that is the shorter route. For most in the north valley the Payson route is often preferred.

For me, I prefer the drive up the rim from Payson. Greatly improved since they widened much of the highway to 4 lanes. Either way works, just depends on where you're coming from.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

brooks379
Explorer
Explorer
For me the best route is through Globe, Show Low, Socorro and up I 25. A lot less traffic and you get to see beautiful Salt River Canyon.

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
RE_Todd wrote:
Desert Captain wrote:
IMHO: AVOID Flagstaff at all costs. I-17 and I-40 anywhere near Flagstaff are two of the worst interstates in the country. Potholes are everywhere and many that they have attempted to fill with uneven concrete patches are worse. On both, the closer you get to Flagstaff the worse it gets but the last 10 - 20 miles are ridiculous.

I have been through Flagstaff 3 times this year as recently as last week. These roads will beat your rig to death. Once you get east of Flagstaff I-40 is fine. West all the way to Williams is terrible and I-17 from Camp Verde north is probably the worst of all.

Sharing useful information with others is basically what this Forum is all about. Having first hand knowledge of the terrible road conditions I shared that info in answer to the OP's original query. It's too bad you fail to grasp the concept.

:R

RE_Todd
Explorer
Explorer
Desert Captain wrote:

TinBenders
2002 Jeep Wrangler
39.5's, Atlas, D60's.

2014 Thor Chateau 35SK.
BTW, It's a Super C!!

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
Love the Payson, Heber, Holbrook route. One notable downhill grade south of Sunflower and two uphill grades. First starts 11 miles south of Payson all the way into Payson, second is a 10 mile grade from approximately Christopher Creek to Woods Canyon Lake turn off. From Payson to Heber is very scenic thru forests climbing to the top of the Mogollon Rim. From the top the view is spectacular looking over the valley below.

87, 260 and 377 are all good roads.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

eichacsj
Explorer
Explorer
Expyinflight wrote:
87 to Payson...260 to Heber...377 to Holbrook...40 to Albuquerque.
Lighter traffic during the week, and you move right along.

Avoiding I17 and Flagstaff is always a good thing.:)

Do this a couple of times a year, the shortest, easiest, least traffic, scenic.
2014 Arctic Fox 30U
2001 Silverado 2500 HD, 4WD
8.1 Vortec / 4.10 gears / ATS Stage 2 Allison Transmission with Co-Pilot
Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Reece Class 5 Hitch with 1700lb bars

Expyinflight
Explorer
Explorer
87 to Payson...260 to Heber...377 to Holbrook...40 to Albuquerque.
Lighter traffic during the week, and you move right along.

Avoiding I17 and Flagstaff is always a good thing.:)
2017 Winnebago Spirit 25b

dalenoel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the 87 trip through Payson. We will hopefully be doing this in a couple weeks. Did not like I-40 around Flagstaff or I-17 North out of Phoenix.
03 Monaco Neptune 36PBD DP - 18 Focus Toad
Wife, myself, and Oreo the Malshi

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
87 through Payson and then through to Winslow
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III

Going up through Show Low is probably your best bet and don't be intimidated by the Salt River Canyon as the road is excellent. Taking 87 north out of Payson all the way to Holbrook is another good choice if you are in no particular hurry as much of this route is 50 - 55. Both of these routes have spectacular scenery and while shoulders are few and far between anything but a very large rig will do just fine.

As always.... Opinions and YMMV

JFNM
Explorer
Explorer
I suspect 'easy" means different things to different people. However; staying on the Interstate is pretty easy. I-10 to I-25 thru Tucson and Los Cruces is easy and rarely are there snow/weather issues. I-17 to I-40 thru Flagstaff and Gallup is also easy but involves the big climb to Flagstaff and a much more significant chance of snow in the winter months.

The most scenic, in my opinion, is US-60 thru Globe, Show Low, Springerville, and Soccoro. However; I would not call the Salt River Canyon climb/descent "easy".
JD - Full timer out west
1998 MCI 102-EL3 Revolution | 2010 Wrangler (daJeep) | 1.7kW Solar - 10kWh Lithium
My Adventures

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
Where in Phoenix? It makes a difference.
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen