cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Question about turning in active 10 year permit?

Lou_Morris
Explorer
Explorer
I have an active 10 yr permit that belongs to an RV I'm selling. I'm now planning to purchase a new trailer and get a new 10 year permit for it. Since I'll still be using the same passport to enter Mexico and can only have one vehicle attached to it, I believe I need to turn in the old permit before getting a new one. But where do I turn it in? I'll be crossing at Nogales. Can I turn that old permit in at the same Banjercito at the Aduana where I get the new permit??
'07 Winne View
Jetta TDI
10 REPLIES 10

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
The best way is to take the vehicle to a border. Any decent Mexican border with a Banjercito. But if not it would be better if you still own the vehicle. This is why some people turn in the 10 year permit every time they leave Mexico. When I had that problem I could have saved myself the hassle. I had sold the motorhome subject to the buyer doing an inspection in Tucson. I was still in Mexico. I could have turned in the permit on the trip to Tucson or I could have returned to Nonages after it was sold with the MH. Cancelled the permit and driven back to Tucson. Hindsight is always 20/20.

Moisheh

Talleyho69
Yes, you can add the tow vehicle to your current passport because you only have the one 10 year permit on it. Technically you could get an entire year for the tow vehicle by changing names. There are a few details, however. You have to have the TIP delivered to an address out of Mexico, or turn one in at the border, then pick up another. Either way, it really doesn't extend your time in Mexico.

If you are going to attempt to turn in the current 10 year permit without going to the border to do it, it is better to attempt it before you sell the vehicle. Remember, there is no guarantee that you will be successful.

Lou_Morris
Explorer
Explorer
Moisheh, it sounds like in regards to cancelling the current permit (for the RV I am selling) that I should do it BEFORE it sells, correct? Perhaps I'll try sending to Mex City now.

Navegator, I like that approach. Though I have a 10 year permit on my pass it sounds like I can add the tow vehicle as well, and rotate that with my wife to make it a full year if we desire.
'07 Winne View
Jetta TDI

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
We should have โ€œstolenโ€ Canada too. 54...40 or fight.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
If you sell the unit before canceling the permit: Welcome to Hell. I did it but the process was like an Abbot and Costello Who is on First. I had the proper forms and all the required info. Sent it from HMO to Mexico City via Estafeta. Next day the driver called me. he could not deliver it as the woman whose name was on the address no longer worked at that location. They sent it back to HMO. I called and got the proper address and name. Again sent it by Estafeta. 2 weeks later they called me in Canada and said more info was required!!!! They wanted the Secretary of State to sign something. I insisted that we do not have anyone like that in canada to do documents. After battling them for a month they finally agreed that a notarized statement from the new owner was OK. Luckily the wife of the fellow that bought my unit was a Notary. I sent it via DHL from Canada and within 3 weeks they sent me stamped paper saying all is good. I think it cost me over $140.00 in shipping! I speak enough Spanish to get through to them . I also learned to get angry in Spanish and insisted on speaking to a supervisor. She spoke perfect English. I still think they do this on purpose. It is a way of getting even for the USA stealing California from Mexico. But wait: I am not an American!

Moisheh

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
I have the RV on a 10 year permit and the toad on a 180 day permit at the same time, when we go back to the us we turn the toads permit in and go to my brothers in San Antonio for a acouple of weeks, then my wife puts the toad on her passport for another 180 days, then when we go back to the US we again turn the todas permit in, I then place the toad on my passport for the next 180 days, it works out so that I have the toad for 180 days in one year and she has it for 180 days for same year more or less, except that we both end up having the vehicle in Mexico for most of the same year but do not exceede the one 180 day permit per one year for one person, the RV can go back and forth as many times as we want.

navegator

Talleyho69
Yes, you can get a 180 day vehicle permit for your tow vehicle and have a 10 year permit for the trailer/RV in the same name.

Sounds like you are covered!

tony_lee
Explorer
Explorer
Fairly sure you could (always?) get one 10 year and one 6 month entry in the same name
Tony
Lots of photos with comprehensive captions at MY PICASA Album
Spotwalla map of our travels - Our Travel map

Lou_Morris
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info. I was just reading on a Mexico insurance site that 1 driver can now get permits for both the RV and the tow car. Is that true? We thought the rule was 1 vehicle permit per person, so In the past my wife would get the tow car permit, and I would get the 10 year RV one. But if she can now get both, that would solve our problem.
'07 Winne View
Jetta TDI

Talleyho69
At Nogales, you turn it in at Km 21 where you can get your FMM and new TIP.

However, it must still be attached to the vehicle when you do it.

You can get the new TIP on line and not have to do it at the border.

You may have a couple of issues: Turning in the TIP you have at the border. You won't be able to get another TIP until the one you have is turned in. Another way around this is by either putting it in someone else's name (spouse, another owner on the registration) or renewing your passport. Once you do that, you'll have a new passport number and can get another TIP issued in your name.

There is a way to turn in your current TIP by sending it to Mexico City. Use the search bar and you will find the steps explained. It takes a while and seems to work only part of the time. We were unable to make it work for us, so we put the new vehicle in my name instead of his.

Good Luck, please keep us posted.