cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on frozen meat into Canada

Maurice45
Explorer
Explorer
I had my butcher package steaks and chops and freeze them for me in Cryo bags. He did not label each package. I now find that the regulation on the official website reads that each package is supposed to be labeled with contents. Can anyone tell me whether they actually look that closely into your rig to check package labels?
20 REPLIES 20

southernsky
Explorer
Explorer
I guess it all depends where you enter Canada. We've crossed into Ontario and into Alberta and was only asked the few usual questions. Gave short to the point answers and offered no more. Never been checked and passed right on through. Got drilled more coming back to the US.
2022 Renegade Super C
2020 Ford Ranger 4x4 Sport

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
You could always take a sharpie and label the meat. Beef Tips - 4/1/2016
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
If the law says..`must be labelled` and you want to take the chance? Go for it. But..why would anyone do that? If you leave your meat at home, you will for sure have it when you return. At the very least..if it is seized? Don't be cranky..its not like you didn't know.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with KoPit, if they can't tell what it is they will most likely remove it, and factory packaging is something they usually insist on. I also agree that sometime don't take stuff, but not always. I remember coming back into Canada with Weiners we had bought in the USA and by the time we hit the 49th they were just in a zip lock bag in the fridge when we came back to Canada ..... " they took em".... Guy said he can't tell what they were.... I gave him the stink eye..... And we left...

Soup
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

chris3403
Explorer
Explorer
I had a bunch of frozen stuff when I went into Canada last year. They spent 45 minutes going through my 5th wheel and never brought up the subject of my frozen meats which I had labeled.
I've been to all 50 States but my RV hasn't.

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
Well, my first thought is 'why try to take piles of food, why not sample local food?'

Yes, they can take food not safely packaged. & labelling correctly is part of that safe packaging. They don't always confiscate though.

I am more apt to take baked beans, stewed tomatoes or other vegetables I have grown myself, cooked myself and sealed in mason jars. With them the seal is visible to all.

Plastic packaging carries less safety via a visible closure.

:C
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006