cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Drive to the Arctic Ocean and visit Tuktoyaktuk

FishHaggis
Explorer
Explorer
http://spectacularnwt.com/story/to-tuktoyaktuk-scenic-way?utm_source=social&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=tukhighway

Highway will be open next fall.
2013 StarCraft Autumn Ridge 289BHS
2012 Ram 2500 Laramie Power Wagon, quad cab
11 REPLIES 11

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
Trackrig wrote:
Tripalot wrote:
We have driven to Inuvik and flown up to Tuk - would love to drive there some day.
Sure looks interesting. I wonder what the road surface will be ?

It's got to be gravel which is a lot easier and cheaper to maintain. Some of the best parts of the AlCan were the gravel sections where they could just run a blade over it and a compactor. When the frost heaves get into the pavement there's nothing you can do unless you're going to tear it out and repave.

Bill

Yes, I think gravel is the way to go as compared to asphalt. Having driven to Yukon/Alaska 6 times, as well as to Inuvik and Yellowknife - we have experienced it all.

FYI - The Alcan name no longer applies - The Alaska Hwy. is considered the proper name now.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
FishHaggis wrote:
All season and gravel surface. Like the Dempster. Brand new though so expect a few spots that may be an interesting drive. There is a Pingo just outside of Tuk and there is a nice pullout nearby with a great view of it. I will be looking for a tour of Husky Lakes and look for Belugas. I hear the Lake Trout there taste like Arctic Char. And of course try and find a tour of the Beaufort Sea.

Of course you have to walk in the Arctic Ocean. It really isn't very cold, as expected, as the water is relatively shallow and gets plenty of long hours of summer sunshine to warm it.

When we flew to Tuk, we had a female pilot that was as excited by belugas as the passengers. There were probably about 50 - 100 whales in the area and our pilot did several figure 8's so everyone could get a good luck at them. It really was amazing and made the (expensive) cost of the flight worthwhile.

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer

FishHaggis
Explorer
Explorer
All season and gravel surface. Like the Dempster. Brand new though so expect a few spots that may be an interesting drive. There is a Pingo just outside of Tuk and there is a nice pullout nearby with a great view of it. I will be looking for a tour of Husky Lakes and look for Belugas. I hear the Lake Trout there taste like Arctic Char. And of course try and find a tour of the Beaufort Sea.
2013 StarCraft Autumn Ridge 289BHS
2012 Ram 2500 Laramie Power Wagon, quad cab

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tripalot wrote:
We have driven to Inuvik and flown up to Tuk - would love to drive there some day.

It's got to be gravel which is a lot easier and cheaper to maintain. Some of the best parts of the AlCan were the gravel sections where they could just run a blade over it and a compactor. When the frost heaves get into the pavement there's nothing you can do unless you're going to tear it out and repave.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer

2lazy4U
Explorer
Explorer
Wonder how long before it sinks into the melting permafrost? Better go while you can.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
How cool is that??? Would LOVE to drive it someday. Let's just hope they don't start lining it with MickeeD's and stuff.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

cewillis
Explorer
Explorer
Will that be an all season road, or only winter?
Cal

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
That will be a cool trip. Thanks for posting.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Clicky

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.