cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions for 2016 Trip

flyfishing48
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning a trip to return to Alaska. We last traveled to Alaska in 2006. We travel with a 5th wheel. On our last trip we went up and back on the Alaska Hwy. This time we are interested in taking the ferry either to Alaksa or on the return trip. We would use the Alaska Highway for the opposite travel.
We are thinking of leaving Michigan mid June, return home in August.
I would imagine some things have changed since 2006. But my first question is about the ferry. I seem to recall that when we were planing our trip in 2006 , one could get on the ferry with the 5th wheel then get off at various ports along the route. Sort of hopscotching the route. Is that the case?

Second question is regarding the timing of the travel. Would it be better to go to Alaska on the ferry and return on the road or vice versa?

I have sent for literature but is very slow in coming. I just reordered it in case my original order was misplaced. I will be getting the Milepost once the new edition becomes available.
Gloria & Tom::R
Chevy 2500 Crew Cab Duramax
Cougar 24 RDS
B&W Companion Hitch
6 REPLIES 6

EEWally
Explorer
Explorer
We took 2 weeks with 5 layovers to ferry from Prince Rupert (departed May 17 last year) to Haines. I think the mountains just got better and better.

First, the mountains from the ferries. Very nice.
Then, the Haines Highway. Wow.
Then, the Denali Highway. Wowee!
Then, Denali itself on two consecutive days. Double wowee!!

It was a crescendo of mountain views. Just got better and better.

We had another 6 weeks and came back the Cassier highway. We liked the strategy and will do it again.

Our 2014 trip journal.
1997 Lance Squire 5000, 10-foot camper
2001 Dodge Ram, Cummins, Ext. Cab, 2WD
Our Trip Journal

William_B
Explorer
Explorer
We did that last year with our motorhome and toad. I would definitely suggest ferry up and drive back. That way you can keep your schedule open and not worry about meeting an exact obligation for the ferry leaving. The ferry is expensive, but we felt when you consider the wear and tear on the roads and the fuel it wasn't so bad. We took it out of Bellingham last year and for our trip in 2005 we left out of Prince Rupert. Both were great. You can get off and on several times although with our large rig we only got off in Juneau and then back on to Haines and drove the rest.
Full timing since 2004
2007 Holiday Rambler Navigator 45' DD Series 60
2019 Dodge Ram 1500 Limited

Our Blog

fishhogg
Explorer
Explorer
Call Alaska Marine Hiways 1-800-642-0066. Remember they charge by the foot, and 2 years ago just a car from Prince Rupert B.C. To Haines was $372.00. This summer we came northbound from Seattle to Wasilla Alaska driving up a new pickup and T.T. 25 ft and only spent $600.00. Exchange rate is in your favor thru Canada. We have made the trip many times.

olygene
Explorer
Explorer
I would boat up and drive back. When we planned our trip last year, we decided to drive up and boat back but on further thought, we realize we had to be at the AK Marine terminal outside of Anchorage by a certain time and date which meant we had to plan our trip by distance, time and location to insure we would be at the terminal by the departure date. This, unfortunately, did not leave a lot of time for unplanned sightseeing, spur of the moment activities. By boating up, you can take however many days you want to drive back and make as many stops as you want without worrying about making it to the marine terminal in time to catch the boat back to Bellingham. Anyway, whichever way you decide to go, have a wonderful and safe trip.

Rbertalotto
Explorer
Explorer
I would absolutely drive up and boat back....The best part of the trip is in Alberta and British Columbia. Better to do this while you are fresh and full of anticipation. Banff to Jasper is magnificent! Not to be missed and then over to the Cassier Highway....

I can't imagine what it will cost to take your rig on the ferry. We were going to come back by ferry on a motorcyle trip I took up there, but the cost was so high we rode back.

We did 11000 miles in 5.5 weeks and camped out in tents for all but a dozen nights. Fantastic trip

You can read all about it here if you like

www.motoalaska.blogspot.com
RoyB
Dartmouth, MA
2021 RAM 2500 4X4 6.4L
2011 Forest River Grey Wolf Cherokee 19RR
520 w solar-200ah Renogy Li-Epever MPPT

fishhogg
Explorer
Explorer
Call Alaska marine Hiway soon if your planing a trip in 2016. They cut 3 ferries out of service, and reduced service on the rest of the runs. Budget cuts