cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Renewing Ontario license plate stickers just got harder

gitane59
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well I tried renewing my F350 dually TV's license plate sticker today and ran into a new bureaucratic stumbling block.
Seems Service Ontario just got a new computer system a couple weeks ago. This new system has a default that locks out the agent from proceeding if the RGW is over 4500kgs without first entering a CVOR number.
Unfortunately I also ran into an agent that knew nothing about CVOR regulations or exemptions and was curt and belligerent when I tried to explain I was exempt and had been for the past 5 years and I knew no reg's or laws had changed this past year.
When I pushed her she shutdown and walk away leaving me fuming. I demanded to speak to a supervisor who finally explain the new computer system and the issue.
Previous years we were not even questioned at all about the CVOR but now the computer system has tied the CVOR regulations requirement into the sticker renewal computer program.
The supervisor gave me a new document on which you have to declare and sign stating that you meet one of the exemptions and this must be filed with the Service Ontario sticker renewal paperwork.
Now comes the bizarre part. I had gone to one of the privatized small rural Service Ontario offices and the supervisor said that even if I signed the exemption declaration that particular office I was at did not know how to bypass in the computer system the CVOR number field in the program and that I had to take all my paperwork to a large regional Service Ontario office for processing.
I then left and called the CVOR office and this was all confirmed by a representative at the CVOR office who told me many o fthe small rural office do not yet know how to handle CVOR exemptions.
2014 Landmark Savannah, Mor-Ryde IS with Dexter disc brakes, 17.5 wheels with Sumitomo skins,
2010 Ford F350 Lariat CC LB DRW 6.4L Diesel, Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
39 REPLIES 39

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
My Volvo is reg a motorhome,in Alberta it was a private truck.
I wish it could be called a pt in ontario so as not have to do a end around arbitrary limits.

Pipeman you mean the Restricted 'A' is gone or superseded ?
I have not kept up.
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
I for one was very happy to see the introduction of the AR class licence.

Prior to that a class A licence required you to show up for a drivers test with a full-on tractor trailer and I doubt you'd be able to find a truck driver training school that would let you use their truck if you didn't take their course. This meant almost nobody did it.

The result was a 55 year old person with the best part of 40 years driving experience but never drove anything than a sedan nor pulled so much as a 4' x 8' box trailer could go out and buy a diesel dually and a 40' fifth wheel that weighs 14,000 pounds and head out without anyone bothering to check he's qualified to do so. I'm not very comfortable with that.

BTW, the above 'guy' is my neighbour and really did just that.

Ontario is notorious for allowing the most ludicrous things to be registered without asking any questions let alone saying no. Case in point, I looked at a Volvo tractor with a custom totter body on it a few years back, ownership was in it, the truck was registered at 4,500 KG as if it was a pickup. That truck weighed likely close to double that.

Nobody at the MTO thought maybe a tractor weighed a titch over that?

Pipeman
Explorer
Explorer
I wrote email to the then Minister Of Transportation regarding having to get a class AR license, when they shoved that down our throats. I was not kind in my mail but to my surprise after stating that I didn't figure that the Minister would get the email, I received an email direct from the Minister. After having to get qualified for a class AR ticket and 3 days away from having to do it all over again the law was changed. So get the email address form on line and write direct to the Minister, unless they changed that as well. I guess I will find out what a problem it will be when I go to raise my weight rating in May.
Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
35 year Fire Fighter(retired)
VE3PJF

gitane59
Explorer III
Explorer III
Got my sticker today without any further issues from the regional office in Stratford.
They were fully versed on the exemption process and were a pleasure to deal with.
For Ontario dually owners just be prepared to ask for the exemption form if not offered to you to claim your personal use pickup exemption from the CVOR and go to a larger regional office.

I have included a link to the announcement of the computer program change that introduced the CVOR registration hard stop for an applicant's CVOR number January 1 2015.
CVOR registration process hard stop
2014 Landmark Savannah, Mor-Ryde IS with Dexter disc brakes, 17.5 wheels with Sumitomo skins,
2010 Ford F350 Lariat CC LB DRW 6.4L Diesel, Firestone Ride Rite Airbags

CoMoCo
Explorer
Explorer
And our annual sticker renewal price has been increasing significantly too. I renewed last October and I think I paid around $250 - almost triple from 3 years ago.

Hopefully they work out the bugs before I renew in the fall as I am registered over 4500 kgs as well.
'23 Silverado High Country 3500 SRW LB D/A; '22 Cedar Creek 345IK

63-Coupe
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure that you also complain to Steven Del Duca, Minister of Transportation and copy your local MPP. It is probably true that it won't make any difference and your reply will be in doublespeak but if they don't hear from us they just go on in their smug little world thinking everything their government initiates is wonderful. If nothing else at least you will rattle their chain a little, especially if your MPP is a member of an opposition party.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Bumpyroad wrote:
We Cant Wait wrote:
Nothing like rolling out a new system before ANYONE knows how to operate/enter registration info.

yep, that certainly wouldn't happen here in the states.
bumpy

:B. :B

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've been told my an inspector there is also a push for roadside enforcement of this. Since CVOR numbers have to be on the side of the truck any truck, dually or bigger, is fair game if it has no numbers.

Yellow annual safety inspection stickers are on the hit list too.

I guess they figure this is one way to get the Province out of bankruptcy.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
We Cant Wait wrote:
Nothing like rolling out a new system before ANYONE knows how to operate/enter registration info.

yep, that certainly wouldn't happen here in the states.
bumpy

We_Cant_Wait
Explorer
Explorer