cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Renewing Ontario license plate stickers just got harder

gitane59
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well I tried renewing my F350 dually TV's license plate sticker today and ran into a new bureaucratic stumbling block.
Seems Service Ontario just got a new computer system a couple weeks ago. This new system has a default that locks out the agent from proceeding if the RGW is over 4500kgs without first entering a CVOR number.
Unfortunately I also ran into an agent that knew nothing about CVOR regulations or exemptions and was curt and belligerent when I tried to explain I was exempt and had been for the past 5 years and I knew no reg's or laws had changed this past year.
When I pushed her she shutdown and walk away leaving me fuming. I demanded to speak to a supervisor who finally explain the new computer system and the issue.
Previous years we were not even questioned at all about the CVOR but now the computer system has tied the CVOR regulations requirement into the sticker renewal computer program.
The supervisor gave me a new document on which you have to declare and sign stating that you meet one of the exemptions and this must be filed with the Service Ontario sticker renewal paperwork.
Now comes the bizarre part. I had gone to one of the privatized small rural Service Ontario offices and the supervisor said that even if I signed the exemption declaration that particular office I was at did not know how to bypass in the computer system the CVOR number field in the program and that I had to take all my paperwork to a large regional Service Ontario office for processing.
I then left and called the CVOR office and this was all confirmed by a representative at the CVOR office who told me many o fthe small rural office do not yet know how to handle CVOR exemptions.
2014 Landmark Savannah, Mor-Ryde IS with Dexter disc brakes, 17.5 wheels with Sumitomo skins,
2010 Ford F350 Lariat CC LB DRW 6.4L Diesel, Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
39 REPLIES 39

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
PackerBacker wrote:
Just my opinion but I think it's only a matter of time before we see road inspections popping up across both Canada and the US to include RV's along with the truck ones we see.

In NY state yesterday along I87 we saw two 'Open' inspection stations on our trip home from SC. This is where I envision RV's being included at some point.

I agree whole-heartedly. It doesn't take too many 'bad apples' to cause problems for everyone else. First it was wheels coming off big trucks, soon it will be the rash of broken down trailers on the side of the highways that will raise the ire of the authorities.

Not long ago I was pulled off the highway in one of my company F550's, while I passed muster with flying colour, but another guy didn't. The officer told me the other driver had basically told him to 'F'off and go hassle some truckers'. The officer told me that there was enough issues with both the truck & (RV) trailer that he wasn't going to allow EITHER one to continue on down the road!

CoMoCo
Explorer
Explorer
Eric - I thought BC already did inspections on the highways due to the mountains? I won't be surprised to see it happen either.

Gitane59 - I am starting to look for a new truck and I will probably eliminate Ford due to its GVWR.

On a relayed note I was pulled over in Milton, ON this morning as there is a "safety blitz" checking yellow stickers. I have one and it is current but it is still unnerving when the lights come on behind you for no apparent reason. They are watching us already!
'23 Silverado High Country 3500 SRW LB D/A; '22 Cedar Creek 345IK

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Just my opinion but I think it's only a matter of time before we see road inspections popping up across both Canada and the US to include RV's along with the truck ones we see.

In NY state yesterday along I87 we saw two 'Open' inspection stations on our trip home from SC. This is where I envision RV's being included at some point.

gitane59
Explorer III
Explorer III
`There's the rub. My door sticker states 13000lbs/5897KG. When I trade in a couple years I wanted to consider another F350 dually or F450 but I guess the Ontario guberment does not want to promote safer large recreational vehicle towing as both the 2015 F350 and F450 are stickered at about 6300KG.
I would like to hear from a new F350 owners what his experience will be trying to get the exemption.
I'll tell ya I smell a fight coming with a bureaucrat.
2014 Landmark Savannah, Mor-Ryde IS with Dexter disc brakes, 17.5 wheels with Sumitomo skins,
2010 Ford F350 Lariat CC LB DRW 6.4L Diesel, Firestone Ride Rite Airbags

CoMoCo
Explorer
Explorer
6,000 kgs is about 13,228 pounds. The newer (I don't know what year it starts)Ford F350s have a GVWR of 14,000 pounds. Does that mean they are NOT exempt?

The newer GMs are 13,025 so they are exempt based on Pipeman's explanation.
'23 Silverado High Country 3500 SRW LB D/A; '22 Cedar Creek 345IK

Pipeman
Explorer
Explorer
I just got back from a visit to Service Ontario on another matter. I asked about the CVOR exemption. They didn't have a clue but did give me the phone number for MOT. I got the skinny from them.Go to your dually, open the drivers' door and get the GVWR. If it's under 6000 kilos you can get the exemption.Now go to Service Ontario when you get your sticker and ask for the Vehicle Registration Form. The section for CVOR is on the back of the form, 3rd down. Fill it out with the GVWR of your truck and hand it in. Apparently this will be a yearly occurrence. That's what they told me to do. They weren't impressed with Service Ontario and the lady I talked to said she was going to get her boss to call the Service Ontario place I went to and give them what for. ๐Ÿ™‚
Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
35 year Fire Fighter(retired)
VE3PJF

cvbdsl
Explorer
Explorer
Pipeman wrote:
Hone Eagle, I don't believe it's gone. It was the weight of the trailer that will govern whether or not you need an AR.It used to be 10000 lbs and you need an AR but now I think its 11000 kilos(24,600Lbs) total weight of tow vehicle and trailer. What I meant was that it was taken off the books for anyone under the 11000 kilo weight. What got my dander up was that they lumped anyone over the 10 grand mark into the same category as a commercial driver and therefore had to get a medical, do a written test and a driving test every year. Sorry for not making it clearer and just to be on the safe side go to the MOT's web site and get the right info from them as I could have it wrong. I know I don't need the AR anymore.

I agree with some of the requirements to ensure drivers know what they are doing, but I also think that it's ridiculous that I have to get a class"D" license for a class A that also requires a medical every five years and a retesting of my "Z" the same as a commercial truck driver. Funny thing, my MH is registered as a passenger car.

I won't mind a written and driving test (plus "Z" endorsement) once to prove I can handle the vehicle (same as for a car), but the medical etc for non-commercial just doesn't makes sense. Also I've found they don't believe your doctor - I had a medical issue in 2009 which was identified on the medical (4 years before I applied for the "D") and my doctor stated it was not an issue any more. I was told that it had to be reviewed by "their" doctor and it would take six to eight weeks to determine if I would even be allowed to take the test.

When I did get clearance I found out that the computer records had not been updated and that it was nearly impossible to get them overridden with the update (three phone calls from Service ON in Cornwall to Toronto and two hours) before someone could provide the update - total time to be legal to drive the class A was over 4 months!
Just think I have to do this again in a couple of years!

Rant Over!:M

Chris
2008 Holiday Rambler Scepter 42 PDQ
2018 Ford Edge SEL- Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar/Blue Ox Base plate/Patriot Brake System
Retired Canadian Army WO (1971-2000)

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:
hone eagle wrote:
JaxDad wrote:
hone eagle wrote:
My Volvo is reg a motorhome,in Alberta it was a private truck.
I wish it could be called a pt in ontario so as not have to do a end around arbitrary limits.

Pipeman you mean the Restricted 'A' is gone or superseded ?
I have not kept up.

So your Volvo has a sink, toilet and fridge or stove? That's gotta a be a cozy sleeper.

yup -eating cooking cleaning , real fridge and 2 bunks , small closet and the topper for the wife, a shoe cubby, but no head ,only 4 of the 7 'items' are nessesary to qualify.
Surprisingly roomy can't touch the ceiling standing on the lower bunk,we have 'camped' in it for as long as 3 days

I'm not sure where the '4 of 7' comes from, but in Ontario the definitions is clear, not toilet, no Motorhome.

Nope , four of seven - pick any four.
The volvo has 3 stock, I added only shore power. (110V)
pota potty is a no problem ,butt I would never use it in such a confined space.
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
Pipeman wrote:
Hone Eagle, I don't believe it's gone. It was the weight of the trailer that will govern whether or not you need an AR.It used to be 10000 lbs and you need an AR but now I think its 11000 kilos(24,600Lbs) total weight of tow vehicle and trailer. What I meant was that it was taken off the books for anyone under the 11000 kilo weight. What got my dander up was that they lumped anyone over the 10 grand mark into the same category as a commercial driver and therefore had to get a medical, do a written test and a driving test every year. Sorry for not making it clearer and just to be on the safe side go to the MOT's web site and get the right info from them as I could have it wrong. I know I don't need the AR anymore.

OK but I looked on the site and its a 404 error on anything having to do with the A-R
I will keep looking.
Thanks
Newmar 34rsks 2008

Pipeman
Explorer
Explorer
Ask that question in the HDT web site. They'll give you the answer for the States Bumpy.
Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
VE3PJF

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I thought in the states it was required to have a bath, sleeping area, and kitchen to qualify as a second (or first) home? but this post raises the question I wonder if anybody in the states has claimed and passed an audit of deducting a unit that does not have a toilet/or porta-potty?
bumpy

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
hone eagle wrote:
JaxDad wrote:
hone eagle wrote:
I wish it could be called a pt in ontario so as not have to do a end around arbitrary limits.

I have not kept up.

So your Volvo has a sink, toilet and fridge or stove? That's gotta a be a cozy sleeper.

yup -eating cooking cleaning , real fridge and 2 bunks , small closet and the topper for the wife, a shoe cubby, but no head ,only 4 of the 7 'items' are nessesary to qualify.
Surprisingly roomy can't touch the ceiling standing on the lower bunk,we have 'camped' in it for as long as 3 days

I'm not sure where the '4 of 7' comes from, but in Ontario the definitions is clear, not toilet, no Motorhome.

Pipeman
Explorer
Explorer
Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
VE3PJF

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:
hone eagle wrote:

I have not kept up.

Newmar 34rsks 2008

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
hone eagle wrote:

I have not kept up.