cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

road trip on I40 and back

mudhound
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are hitting the road next spring. We (SADLY) are not camping on this trip. We have 7-8 days to get to Tucson AZ, 4-5 days there and 6-7 days to make it back home to Bean Station TN.
I was hoping to get this sites input of must see stops. Granted, we are going to stop at the Grand Canyon (Full day), Petrified Forest, and the Painted Desert. We hope to travel a day and stop a day. Or, maybe see something in the morning and travel that afternoon.
This trip will be from Knoxville TN to Tucson AZ taking I40 going and the southern route back.
Thank for your input.
:C

God Bless
16 REPLIES 16

SuGar_Shack
Explorer
Explorer
We have traveled I-40 often, both directions, live just north of it on I-25. One of our favorite stops is La Posada in Winslow, AZ, possibly beyond where you turn south to go to Tucson. Historic hotel and great restaurant. Campground is Homolovi Ruins, couple of miles outside of town. Flying J right there at intersection. Other spots farther east, Overnite campground in Amarillo, TX also south of Amarillo, Palo Verde Canyon, a must see in our traveling opinion, and a good campground as well. And, there's a fairly good KOA at Lake Eufala in Oklahoma. Good luck, safe travels.
Gary & Susie
2006 Dynaquest Super M320
300 Cat 6 spd Allison
2010 Ford Edge Limited Toad

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I like to use Roadside America when traveling. Maybe you will find something interesting along your route.