cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roll Call 2015 On The Road

Ol_coot
Explorer
Explorer
Figured since we have limited WiFi would due kind of an up-date on our movement North.
Went from Ft Macleod, AB to Edmonton AB, then on over to Dawson Creek BC. Mile Post "O". Spent today seeing some really interesting things about how they built this road. Won't go into details since most of you have been through here many times. Took our picture at Zero "O" mile, saw the Alaskan Road House and the curving bridge. Will move on toward Ft Nelson tomorrow.
Fuel price around $1.10 here (Gas). Staying at Mile "0" RV park. $37.00 per-night full hookups. Lots of sites.
Not seen any Roll Call 2015 signs so everyone must be ahead of us already because we are not driving that fast. But we are watching for them.
Be safe, enjoy your trip, honk if you do pass us.

Dave/Lynn
35 REPLIES 35

Chiefelectusn
Explorer
Explorer
Drove the parks highway today south fron Denali Motel &RV park to Talkeetna.
Lots of road construction: and between the Denali Park entrance and 15 miles south of Cantwell be on the look out for dips, heaves, bumps that are unmarked. There is a 22.5 mile stretch that is being paved with 20- 30 minute waits.

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
A quick heads up tonight...the Parks Highway north of Anchorage (to Fairbanks) is CLOSED at mile 71 to mile 77 due to a wildfire. It has burned 500 acres and possibly up to 1,000 acres. It jumped the highway.

If you're planning to head from Anchorage to Fairbanks tomorrow (Monday, June 15), maybe rethink that plan.

If you're on facebook, keep up-to-date here Matanuska-Susitna Borough facebook page.

You can also check in with the Alaska State Troopers.

I expect this might put a crunch on the RV parks in the area too as many residents are having to evacuate.
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

Uma___Papa
Explorer
Explorer
Stopped for the night at Haines Junction....Lucky they have WiFi and a great view of snow covered mountains.......we have yet to see anyone with a sign for 2015 either. If all goes well we will cross into Alaska tomorrow:B

trcgolf
Explorer
Explorer
Doing laundry in Whitehorse.hi country rv park.
Klondike trail tomorrow
Really like Whitehorse
2013 GMC 2500 HD
6.0 L Crew 4x4
Crossroads Zinger

2lazy4U
Explorer
Explorer
I was able to book a last minute place at Whitehorse (a B&B) - literally an hour before arrival. I'd decided I needed a shower (have been camping). I asked why it was empty (a very nice place) and they told me the price of gas had really hurt their business. Their prices were reasonable. I mentioned I thought gas was cheaper than last year, but they said it was still too high. When I got to AK, I asked the same Q at a similar place and they said biz was good (yet I was also able to book it last minute). I didn't see as many vehicles on the highways as I expected, but maybe it's normal to go many miles w/o seeing anyone else. Anyone see anything to report re. tourism numbers?

beeman1
Explorer
Explorer
On my way from New Hampshire this morning. Hope to meet up with a few other wondering travelers.:B

Dog_Up
Explorer
Explorer
My opinion as well. And that's about where the traffic ends as well for the most part. I tend to hurry to FT Nelson, then slow down and enjoy the trip.

2lazy4U
Explorer
Explorer
IMO, the trip really doesn't get really good until you hit Pink Mountain or even Stone Mtn. I mean, it's beautiful up to there and very interesting, but that's when the magnitude of the whole Northern Rockies starts to hit.

trcgolf
Explorer
Explorer
we underestimated the effect on limited connectivity would have on us.... keeping the family in the loop has been challenging.... we are outside Grand Prairie heading for Dawson Creek tomorrow. It will be a short drive day. Probably will only stay one night as we'll have a day and half to see the sights plus we can catch it on the return.
It is an unbelievable trip.... hopefully continues to get better.
2013 GMC 2500 HD
6.0 L Crew 4x4
Crossroads Zinger

2lazy4U
Explorer
Explorer
I crossed at Sweetgrass a few days ago, a woman border agent. She asked where I was going and for how long, when I had last been in Canada, and asked to see my vet papers. Took all of three minutes, but I only have two dogs.

EmersonTT
Explorer
Explorer
The Klondike highway from White Horse to Dawson is in good shape, with only a few frost heaves (but slow down for them !!!). The Dempster as far as Tombstone was really excellent for a gravel road, lots of dust (and mud when we hit rain), but no flying rocks large enough to hurt anything.

Darryl_Rita
Explorer
Explorer
trcgolf wrote:
Can anyone report what the roads thru Banff and Icefields parkway is ?

Few frost heaves, plenty of potholes. Consider it a warm-up for further North. It's a reduced speed stretch of road, so take your time, and enjoy the sights.
***UPDATE 2006 3500 SRW MegaCab pulling a 2007 fleetwood 5'er

prstlk
Explorer
Explorer
Chopper,

If you're at the Walmart in Whitehourse this morning, June 5, I'm right down the line from you. Holiday Rambler Ambassador with white Ranger - Idaho Plates.

Which way are you going up? We decided last night to take the Klondike loop. Have heard lots of bad reports on the road around Destruction Bay. Will take it when coming down hoping it will be better.

Jim
2007 Keystone Challenger 5th wheel, Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Diesel, Short Bed, 2 dogs and the cat and rolling down the road full time since May 2014

trcgolf
Explorer
Explorer
Can anyone report what the roads thru Banff and Icefields parkway is ?
2013 GMC 2500 HD
6.0 L Crew 4x4
Crossroads Zinger