cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Roll Call Alaska 2015

trcgolf
Explorer
Explorer
I know its early but we have been planning for the past 3 months. I know its another 15 months at least till we leave but we are just going crazy...
So here is our very rough plan overview. Leave mid June from western NY; travel west up through Ill., Wis., Min., ND, into Canada.
Diagonally across Saskatch. and Alberta, BC, and YT...
Our first destination is Fairbanks, via Top of the World Highway... thinking of doing the Dempster to the Arctic Circle. I know there will many stops... some short, some long but all will be great.
Fairbanks to Homer with the obligatory Denali stop for a few days.
Homer to Portland Or; Oregon to San Fran; San Fran to home via the Northern US.

We have so much planning yet to do but reading all the Roll Call posts in 2013, and 2014 just keeps us going. Started to plan finances which brings us to the first major question.
I have heard all the diesel advantages and draw backs of the gas engines. We invested in a 32' fifth wheel and 2013 GMC 2500 HD with 6.0L Crew 4x4. The fiver weighs about 8K empty, I would guess 10,500 loaded. ( I will get that checked for sure)Brand new to Rving

The truck is my every dayer.... need the 4 wheel drive here in winter. The decision with gas was pure economics. A Cummins diesel and matching tranny was $9500 more. Doing the math it was going to take a bunch of miles to save enough in mileage to pay for the increase in price. About 100000 mile by my calculation. We not going to be full timers; one long trip a year to Florida.
Traveling around NY and Pa and maybe Florida, that all makes sense but going on a trip like this, I am not so sure gas was the way to go. So I am asking for those who used a truck like mine to haul a fifth wheel through Canada...Alaska...et al... What kind of mileage can I expect? Sorry for the novelette...I will get better at this.

Edited to add 'Alaska' within the title.
2013 GMC 2500 HD
6.0 L Crew 4x4
Crossroads Zinger
715 REPLIES 715

joe_b_
Explorer
Explorer
Bill, it won't let you in either way. As Terrax explained it is only for use in the Yukon, not set up for planning outside the local area.
joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2016 Fleetwood Flair 31 B Class A w/bunks
www.picturetrail.com/jbpacooper
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I called up the RVNORTH.COM sight it asked me if I would allow it to track my location. I said yes, and then like Joe, it wouldn't let me in. Maybe if I had ignored the location request it would have let me in?

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

terrax
Explorer
Explorer
joe b. wrote:
Terra's, what is with the message I keep getting telling me I am too far from the Yukon. Duh? Of course I am as I am in Florida. The app won't let me in to view what it has to offer. Did you get the map problems fixed that were in it last year?

The app is location aware and meant for use up here. So, if you are in Whitehorse you will discover all the RV parks, campgrounds, attractions etc around Whitehorse, if you are in Dawson City what is around there and so on.

If you and others are interested to see this data from your home location for trip planning purpose, please let me know.

I might be able to make this happen before you hit the road.
Stephan
rvnorth.com

joe_b_
Explorer
Explorer
Terra's, what is with the message I keep getting telling me I am too far from the Yukon. Duh? Of course I am as I am in Florida. The app won't let me in to view what it has to offer. Did you get the map problems fixed that were in it last year?
joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2016 Fleetwood Flair 31 B Class A w/bunks
www.picturetrail.com/jbpacooper
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".

racer4
Explorer
Explorer
terrax wrote:
In 2016 we will have a new version that works offline, where no data roaming charges incur.

I like that. Looking forward to it.

Thanks
Chris and Pat
2023 Ram 3500 Limited, Cummins, Aisin, dually, Auto Flex Rear Air Ride Suspension
2022 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2024 Winnebago Minnie 2327TB

terrax
Explorer
Explorer
If you are looking for
  • fuel prices
  • road conditions
  • exchange rates
  • wifi hotspots
  • dump stations
  • RV parks
  • campgrounds
  • attractions

along the Yukon part of the Alaska Highway, I just wanted to let you know that

RV North

is still around for use on your smart phone, tablet or laptop.

As you might know Canadian telco's charge you an arm and a leg for data roaming, so it is best to use this app mainly in a wifi hotspot ones you are up here.

In 2016 we will have a new version that works offline, where no data roaming charges incur.
Stephan
rvnorth.com

marsharini
Explorer
Explorer
Count us in on Roll Call 2015. We're entering Alberta on July 14 from Montana (Glacier NP) with no specific return date (well - definitely before the snow flies) ๐Ÿ™‚

Ed and Marsha

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
If it still possible for Missouri Bird and others planning to take the ferry this summer, try to include Sitka on your ferry route. Three reasons: 1) Sitka has the most beautiful setting and harbor in Alaska, 2) you won't see as many bald eagles in one place anywhere else in Alaska, including the bald eagle preserve near Haines (you can see dozens flying around the harbor at one time and they nest in the enormous Sitka spruce that cover all the tiny islets in the harbor), and 3) the trip through Peril Strait is one that no cruise ship can take (too narrow) and is an absolutely thrilling ride (ever seen a 408' ship fish-tail? You will on the ferry through Peril Strait!).

It's just a suggestion because you'll have a great time whether you go to Sitka or not. Yes, I've been to Valdez, Seward, Homer, Whittier, Juneau, Haines, Skagway, Talkeetna, and Denali multiple times and even to non-RV locations like Kodiak, Nome, Kotzebue, the Kobuk Valley, and the Aleutians. All are scenic and all have their fans, but Sitka is still my favorite town in the "Last Frontier."
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
MissouriBird wrote:
We confirmed our reservations for the Northbound Alaska Ferry departing from Port Rupert on July 2nd. Will make numerous stops on the way, (Ketchikan, Petersburg, Skagway, and Juneau) leaving the ferry in Haines on July 16th. Can hardly wait--it is beginning to seem real at this point.

Fantastic - That's the trip I want to take.

We worked very hard to get a site at the only CG in Haines that is right on the water! Had to be on the waiting list etc but got it done. Look it up AND there were several rigs that over nighted between the CG and ferry terminal at the pull offs, so check that out.

BTW Momma bear and cub put on a good show North of the ferry terminal. One motor cycle dude got between momma and cub and she almost got him!
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Prairie_Wandere
Explorer
Explorer
Please add us to this years list. We will be leaving from southwestern Minnesota about the last week in June and be going up through Montana. Last year was our first RV trip to Alaska to be present for the birth of our first grandchild. Now we have an excuse to go every year to celebrate his birthday. Plan on returning in late September via Oregon to visit another son. See you on the road. Mark & Zee

tmuckenfuss
Explorer
Explorer
Add us to the list. We will leave Tuscaloosa AL May 23rd headed north.
Returning home by Aug 10th. Been reading and planning for months. Looking forward to getting started. Wish it was time to leave!!!

trcgolf
Explorer
Explorer
MissouriBird wrote:
Reservations Confirmed--Ready to Roll!!

We confirmed our reservations for the Northbound Alaska Ferry departing from Port Rupert on July 2nd. Will make numerous stops on the way, (Ketchikan, Petersburg, Skagway, and Juneau) leaving the ferry in Haines on July 16th. Can hardly wait--it is beginning to seem real at this point.

I will be seeking recommendations for camping at any of these spots and/or things to be sure to see and do in each of these ports. Advice and suggestions are welcomed.

I retire on May 18th--what a way to start off retirement.

Hope to see some of you along the way.

North to Alaska---can't get much better than this.

May last day is May 21st and we have been planning for 15 months. very close now....
2013 GMC 2500 HD
6.0 L Crew 4x4
Crossroads Zinger

Fl_Gator
Explorer
Explorer
Please add us to the 2015 Roll Call list.
We retired in 2013 and have been dragging a 5th wheel around for 20 years. Since retiring two years ago, we have been putting a lot of miles on our truck and unit, so we have moved down to a small C class, it's more touring than sitting for long camping weekend or for vacations taken for 1-2 weeks. Have been reading this site and everything we can, prepping for our Alaskan trip for the past year. We are leaving May 1 from Jax. Fl. plan on taking a couple of weeks working our way to the US/Canada border (crossing at Sweetgrass - does anyone know the best place to stop overnight before crossing at Sweetgrass?). Heading up to the Canadian Rockies. Did the C/R in 2013 what a beautiful place. Then we plan to take a couple weeks up to the Alaskan border. We plan to be on the road 3+ months.

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe I'll see some of you along the way up here.
Keep your eyes open for a little grey Honda Fit on the Alaska Highway.
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

MissouriBird
Explorer
Explorer
Reservations Confirmed--Ready to Roll!!

I will be seeking recommendations for camping at any of these spots and/or things to be sure to see and do in each of these ports. Advice and suggestions are welcomed.

I retire on May 18th--what a way to start off retirement.

Hope to see some of you along the way.

North to Alaska---can't get much better than this.
Nomads at heart