cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Route 12, Calf Creek, Kodachrome, Escalante in Utah

Harold_Fairbank
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone. I have a 30ft motorhome and am planning a trip to Route 12 in Utah, spending about 2 weeks there. I am planning to see the less popular areas but I plan on seeing Bryce and Capitol Reef as well. I know what to expect there.

But, I was looking at Calf Creek, Kodachrome, and Escalante for camping. Those areas seem beautiful. Could I get a 30ft motorhome in these campgrounds? From what I read Calf Creek and Escalante are tight fits.

If anyone has been here with a larger motorhome please let me know. I will be towing a small TOAD but I can unhitch that.

Also I see there is an Airstream campground there in a nice area, but I don't know if they allow non-Airstream campers there.

Thanks all.
16 REPLIES 16

jgrimes
Explorer
Explorer
I have caped at Escalante with my 30 ft 5er. No problem. I have hiked at Calf Creek twice. Each time I looked at the campground and decided I wouldn't fit. Kodachrome did an upgrade to their campground several years ago and now has quite a few FHU sites. It's a great park with fun hiking trails. All paved roads to the campground. Be sure to check out the slot canyons while in the area. We really enjoyed Willis canyon. And there are many others off the Burr trail. We love that part of Utah.

Harold_Fairbank
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone, I'd really like to get into Calf Creek. Also going to look at Singletree now.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
If you're worried about the size of the sites, Singletree's photos and review on Campendium would be my pick. With our FW, we could easily go there with no problem. Thanks for the person who posted the information.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
There is a campground in the town of Escalante not far away. Don't forget Burr Trail road while in that area.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
donkeydew wrote:
why do they put a sign out saying 25 foot limit ? just the stupid state wasting money i guess.

I deduce from the mention of the 25ft limit that it was posted by the campground operator, BLM. This isn't a sign on the state highway. Campground operators routinely specify a length limit, often for specific sites. A 30 ft RV probably has a long enough tail overhang, and short enough wheelbase, that it can handle the turns - if driven with care.

That initial turn off of 12 will probably scare off the really big RVs.

trailertraveler
Explorer
Explorer
donkeydew wrote:
why do they put a sign out saying 25 foot limit ? just the stupid state wasting money i guess.
Liability. Many warning signs are to warn and also as a pre-emptive measure against lawsuits for damages. If they didn't have a sign and somebody with a 45' RV got it stuck between two trees they would likely get sued.
Safe travels!
Trailertraveler

Harold_Fairbank
Explorer
Explorer
donkeydew wrote:

The state knows all. Do not question the state.

donkeydew
Explorer
Explorer

Harold_Fairbank
Explorer
Explorer
trailertraveler wrote:
Take a look at ***Link Removed*** and ***Link Removed***.

Singletree looks beautiful. I didn't realize such a difference in terrain was so close to Calf Creek. I'd like to stop in both but I'm still skeptical about getting my motorhome in Calf Creek.

BarryG20
Explorer
Explorer
I have camped there several times in a tent years back. It is a tight campground. There are only about a dozen sites. I do believe a 30 footer could fit in a few of the sites and by few I mean 2 or 3. They don't or at least didn't used to take reservations. Since it is small and scenic it fills up quickly.
2016 Jayco 28.5 RLTS

Harold_Fairbank
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replies. Calf Creek looks really nice. Has anyone ever got a 30ft motorhome in the campground?

trailertraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look at Singletree and Pleasant Creek.
Safe travels!
Trailertraveler

Rangerman40
Explorer
Explorer
Enjoy the hogback on the way down!

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Calf Creek is a canyon bottom. I stopped by in an SUV to hike some years ago, but only glanced at the camp sites. My overall impression was that the access road and sites would be tight for a large RV.

Google Maps has a streetview of the turn off from 12 - coming from Boulder. IT's a sharp 180. Anything with a trailer could have problems. Parking in the dayuse area could be tight for you; it's even limited for cars.

I found a video of the sites:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtgqE5RXIws

One site is even a pull through. It's a little hard to identify the 13 sites on the Google maps Sat view.

We camped that night a little further on, at Escalante SP, which is more open.

dayuse parking