cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

route 191S vs 491S

RV_daytrader
Explorer
Explorer
I plan on going to Sitgreaves nation forest in AZ from Durango CO....I will take either 191S in AZ or 491S in NM down to I40...which is the easier drive for my underpowered Yoda??? ...tia
YODA...our lil Toyota!
1989 Toyota Seabreeze
2 REPLIES 2

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Both US191 and US491 stay out of the mountains as they head south to I40. In this area the mountains are a NS range right along the state border.

You'll encounter more mountains as you enter the National Forest. In this part of the country, forests cover the mountains. The open country between the mountains is too hot and dry to grow trees.

DesertHawk
Explorer
Explorer
In 2010, we used US 491 to get from the Cortez area to Show Low. After Shiprock there wasn't any hard climbs at all. From Cortez down, it was mainly descent all the way. We started in Durango, overnighted in Mesa Verde.

I've driven part of US 191, but not all of it down to the I-40 (only from Gando) but it has been many a year. Can't remember much about it. Don't think there was anything major on the route. Pretty flat but hilly at times.

In 2010, we took 191 S from the 40 to St. Johns. No climbs to speak of. Road was a little rough at the time.

US 191 (I have heard) gets pretty twisty & perhaps steep in places between Alpine & Morenci, but I have not driven it. Was going to come up from Morenci one Spring Break, but they had the road closed due to snow.

Google Maps routes using US 491, but not via Cortez. They have using CO 140/ NM 170 to reach Farmington. Then US 64 to Shiprock & 491 South. Might have used part of that route in '86 to reach Durango from Bloomfield. But not sure.

Think it would mostly be down slope from CO down, but can't say.

Can't remember any bad climbs getting to Cortez from Durango.

Google Maps didn't give an option to take US 191.

This was a neat place to camp and visit (have not been to in it many years), even with a museum nearby, all close to Gallup at Red Rock/Churchrock just off of I-40 east of town. It was a state park when we used it.
http://www.campingroadtrip.com/campgrounds/campground/campground/11212/new-mexico/red-rock-state-par...

Off US 191, Canyon de Chelly by Chinle is neat with a Navajo Trip campground. Been there when it was a free campground years ago. Hubbell Trading Post NHS is off 191 as well, maybe a small detour to get to it. Interesting.

Navajo National Monument is located at the end of State Highway 564 off of US Highway 160. Which connects with US 191, north of Chinle. We have not been to this one, but sounds very interesting. Two campgrounds, one open all year, somewhat isolated but no fees are charged. Navajo Nat'l Mon't

If you get to the Show Low area: Near the Mogollon Rim, Show Low has a Community Campground ( ShowLowLake ) off AZ 260 (turn by the Wal-Mart, if my memory is right)...a small lake, & flooded creek, should be fishable. There's a state park near there as well, more north of Show Low, I believe Fool Hollow. Nat'l Forest campground along Route 269 Pinetop-Lakeside area. We used it to overnight there in 2010.

We ate at a BBQ joint called Porky's (I Think?). It had a Big Pink Pig on the roof. Good BBQ. It's between Show Low & Pinetop. Maybe before the Walmart.
:CDesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
*2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper, Dinette Slide
160 watt Solar Panel/GoPower! Solar Controller
*2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
*Previously~ 2005 16' Scamp