cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Route 30

HDrider44
Explorer
Explorer
We are in Bedford Pa now and are going to Gettysburg next week. Anyone driven Route 30 or should I take the Turnpike?
Dave & Diane and Jack (Our Golden)
2007 Tiffin Phaeton 40QSH
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

http://daveanddiane.wordpress.com/
16 REPLIES 16

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
Mike and Terry Ann wrote:
rt 30 is bad for rv ( hills) and the turnpike is very expensive for rv. Might want to try going south on 70 in Breezewood to 81N in Hagerstown and get off in Chamberburg(rt 30).
I've been over Town Hill many times. Think I'd go either the turnpike or 30.
โ€œAll journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.โ€

HDrider44
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all of the information and I wanted to check back in. We ended up going to Breezewood and took 70 south and then 81 north up to 30 and then into Gettysburg.
I see someone just suggested the same thing. That ended up being a very easy route.
Thanks again

Mike_and_Terry_
Explorer
Explorer
rt 30 is bad for rv ( hills) and the turnpike is very expensive for rv. Might want to try going south on 70 in Breezewood to 81N in Hagerstown and get off in Chamberburg(rt 30).

Richert
Explorer
Explorer
follow Mike24's advice, we travel the PA Turnpike a lot, unfortunately it is the easiest way to travel east and west in PA. If there were an easier way we would use it. The PA Turnpike is improving, from Bedford over there are 1 or 2 construction areas with no problems, weekends sometimes there are back-ups.
Blake
2019 Sunseeker
2012 Jeep Wrangler Toad
Wife in passenger seat.

HDrider44
Explorer
Explorer
LOL!!! I'd do that but we are from Oregon and just traveling so after Gettysburg we won't be headed back this way I'm afraid.
I even considered going back down 220 and catching the freeway in from that way. I think it's another 25 miles farther than doing the turnpike.

JimFromJersey
Explorer
Explorer
So it's 5 to 2 in favor of the PA Turnpike. Either way, the real slow part will be between H'burg and Gettysburg. 30 around Gettysburg is usually very congested, if memory serves. Last time I was there was 1984. Here's a thought - if you're headed back home after, split the difference - TP there, and 30 home. And then report back here on experiences and warnings. ๐Ÿ™‚
Always remember, you're a unique individual. Just like the other 7 billion people on the planet...

mike24
Explorer
Explorer
Take the turn pike to willow hill exit get off on rt. 75 take that to rt30 then go east 30mi to Gettysburg. I do this all the time I live in Chambersburg.

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
HDrider44 wrote:
We are in Bedford Pa now and are going to Gettysburg next week. Anyone driven Route 30 or should I take the Turnpike?

It's 80 miles take 30 and save the money.

Pa Turnpike aint all that great anyway, very narrow in places and always under construction.

mdamerell
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at what you are driving, I'd suggest follow the trucks and take the turnpike.

Something to ponder. There is a reason people and trucking companies (known to be tight wads) are willing to pay to take the turnpike. If there was a good 2 or 4 lane alternative to the $161 EZpass ($204 cash) a semi pays to take the turnpike across PA they would.
2012 Sundance 3100RB w/Reese Goose Box
2004 Ford F350 6.0 L PSD, CC, DRW, long bed, B&W drop ball hitch, Firestone Ride-rite air bags.

Tom_N
Explorer
Explorer
You'll receive a ticket when you get on. You give that ticket to the toll taker when you get off. You'll pay when you get off.

I often get on the pike at Bedford. Careful pulling into the toll gate. It's narrow so I just creep in.

You'll drive over scales in the road way just before entering the tool gate. This will indicate what your toll weight class is.

From Bedford to the Gettysburg exit looks like your toll will be Class-5 Ticket Toll: $27.10. The PA turnpike is an expensive toll road and the rates are going up in a month or two.

As I stated, if it were me, I'd take the more adventurous route 30.

-Tom
Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA ยท W3TLN ยท FMCA 335149 ยท Mystic Knights of the Sea
2005 Suncruiser 38R ยท W24 chassis, no chassis mods needed ยท 2013 Honda Accord EX-L ยท 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L

HDrider44
Explorer
Explorer
OK,, stupid question to some I'm sure but I have never driven on a tool road before. Where do you pay?? At the onramp,, someplace along the road?? LOL!!! Not even sure where it is but I know it goes by here.
Oopppps double post

HDrider44
Explorer
Explorer
OK,, stupid question to some I'm sure but I have never driven on a tool road before. Where do you pay?? At the onramp,, someplace along the road?? LOL!!! Not even sure where it is but I know it goes by here.

PaYahoo101
Explorer
Explorer
TP

Tom_N
Explorer
Explorer
The pike won't take you to Gettysburg. It'll take you to Harrisburg. Harrisburg is about 35 miles north of Gettysburg. If you do take the pike you'll go through 2 long tunnels. If you take 30 you'd go over Tuscarora Mountain. I haven't driven 30 in the area in 40 years. I have been on 30 from Bedford to Breezewood in the last few years and that section is mostly new 4 lanes with not many grades. The climb starts east of Breezwood. I think the hills have passing lanes.

I'm adventurous. I would probably take 30. The increase in fuel costs would easily be offset my saving the turnpike fees.

-Tom
Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA ยท W3TLN ยท FMCA 335149 ยท Mystic Knights of the Sea
2005 Suncruiser 38R ยท W24 chassis, no chassis mods needed ยท 2013 Honda Accord EX-L ยท 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L