cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Route from Edmonton Alberta to Southern States in December

Birdie123
Explorer
Explorer
We will be travelling from Edmonton Alberta to New Mexico then up the California coast the first two weeks of December. Travelling in a 26ft Ford Motorhome. We will be winterizing the motorhome till we get down south to warmer weather. Any suggestions what route to take that is the safest at that time of year and fastest to get to first warm place to start using our motorhome with water etc. We would like to avoid as many mountain passes as possible. And any suggestions on what routes NOT to take for sure? We are new at this motorhome travelling and its the only time we can take time off. So off we go slow and steady! Any ideas and suggestions are greatly appreciated. Tips, laws, weather, roads, best rest areas etc. Thanks
4 REPLIES 4

mayo30
Explorer
Explorer
Well consider the first four days as being winterized and at least the last 3 days as being winterized,pretty much any route you take on your circle trip,slow and easy.You had better make sure your posterior parts are comfortable being horizontal for 2 weeks,long trip in the winter.Enjoy.

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would guess that it's a tossup between the eastern route of I90/25 and a western one using I15 into Utah.

On I15 I think the highest pass is Monida on the MT/ID border -6800ft. The highest on I25 is Ratton - 7800ft. Ratton is quite a bit further south. Neither is known for its grades.

Another comparison would be Denver v Salt Lake City. Denver is a bit higher. Which is colder and/or snowier in December?

But once you are in New Mexico or Arizona, there's the question of altitudes and possible snow along I40, from Flagstaff to Gallup.

alfredmay
Explorer
Explorer
Cross into the US at Sweetgrass, Montana / Coutts, Alberta
Follow Interstae 15 south to Helena, MT
In Helena take US 287 south to Interstate 90 East
Follow I-90 East to the Buffalo, Wyoming and then take I-25 South
Follow I-25 into New Mexico.

This is the route with the lowest elevations and keeps you on the east side of the Rocky Mountains. Depending on when you leave you will most likely have freezing temps at night during much of the trip.

Here is a relief map of the US showing elevations.
http://www.learnnc.org/lp/media/maps/usa_toporelief_1968_l.jpg
Alfred May
2005 Excursion V10 4.30 4x4
2002 Cedar Creek 30RBS TT by Forest River
Reese Dual Cam
Tekonsha Prodigy

Moved from Forum Technical Support