cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

route from Las Vegas to Panguitch Lake in Utah

Leonandlisa
Explorer
Explorer
In car mode the GPS takes me out of Cedar City up the 14 to the 148 to the 143.

in RV mode it wants me to pass Cedar City and go route 143 out of Parawon up past Brian Head.

I have been up to Brian Head skiing and I know that route is very steep and has some tight switchbacks.

On google Maps the 14 has a set of switchbacks but they don't appear to be as tight as the ones on the 143.

I can not find anything saying that trailers are not allowed on the 14, I have a 34' fifth wheel with a total length of 51'.

With those that have traveled that route what would you suggest?

Thanks
13 REPLIES 13

Leonandlisa
Explorer
Explorer
Well we just got back from a great trip, we ended up taking the 14 out of Cedar City to the 148 over to the 143 which took us to Panguitch Lake. It was a very scenic route and we had no issues going up and on the way down was able to lock it in 2nd gear and occasionally use the brakes as we maintained speeds of 30-45. This is by far the steepest grade I have encountered so far as the engine usually holds it back without brakes.

Thanks again for all the advice, when we go again this will be the route we take.

johnna
Explorer
Explorer
North on US-89 to UT-20 then west to I-15 south to LV

:C
2004 Ford 350 Super Duty 2W Dirve Long Bed PU
2008 327RLT Montana Mountaineer 35 ft. 5th wheel
2005 Alaska and other Trip Logs

JJnLilly
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting. In early September we will be making a trip from Cheyene, WY to Las Vegas and were planning on gong through Panguitch (the town) to stay a few days and visit both Bryce Canyon and Zion NP's. Will be pulling a 33' 5th wheel and being from the midwest not a lot of mountain driving. Not sure of the best way to get from Panguitch to Vegas.
2007 Ram 2500 QC CTD
2020 Passport GT 2210

billkaufmann
Explorer
Explorer
billkaufmann wrote:
CloudDriver wrote:
We have not done either of the routes you mention, but we have used route 59 out of Hurricane to Fredonia then 89 north to Panguitch. From there you can take route 143 west to the lake. Routes 59 and 89 have no steep grades or switchbacks. Don't know about 143 between Panguitch and the lake.

X2 Going there withe our ATV club in September

Mistake. Did not mean to double post. Sorry

billkaufmann
Explorer
Explorer
CloudDriver wrote:
We have not done either of the routes you mention, but we have used route 59 out of Hurricane to Fredonia then 89 north to Panguitch. From there you can take route 143 west to the lake. Routes 59 and 89 have no steep grades or switchbacks. Don't know about 143 between Panguitch and the lake.

billkaufmann
Explorer
Explorer
CloudDriver wrote:

JohnG3
Explorer
Explorer
We tow our 38' fiver through Hurricane and Colorado City to Freedonia and Kanab on 89. Only steep grade is the first one out of Virgin/Hurricane and that is only a couple miles long. Never had any issues with it.
John and Elaine. Furry ones, Bubba, Buddy, Barney and Miss Chevious
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 SP
Know guns, know safety, know peace. No guns, no safety, no peace.

johnna
Explorer
Explorer
The last time I traveled 143 from Parawan there was sign stating "Not recommended for RVs". I recommend 14 over 143 but would take 59 out of Hurricane myself.

:C
2004 Ford 350 Super Duty 2W Dirve Long Bed PU
2008 327RLT Montana Mountaineer 35 ft. 5th wheel
2005 Alaska and other Trip Logs

Leonandlisa
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the replies, I will probably take the 143 since I am more familar with that road as I have been skiing at Brian Head several times. I was just worried about the tight switchbacks with a 5th wheel compared to my old bumper pull.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Leon

boogie_4wheel
Explorer
Explorer
14 is a steep climb. I haven't been up it since the road repair a few years ago, but there was a nice long passing lane. The switchback turns are not as tight as they are on 143. After the switchbacks, there isn't much for passing on up to the 148 turnoff, and it will be hard to get your speed back up till you finish the climb. 148 is a pretty drive, but is a hilly and winding road.

143 is also steep near the top, but is a shorter climb. After you pass Brian Head you will climb some more.

Loaded heavy I would do 143 (Parowan). With a lighter trailer or just a truck/car I would take 14.
2005 2500 Cummins/48RE/3.73, QCLB, 4wd, BigHorn, Edge Juice w/ CTS + Turbo Timer,Transgo Shift Kit ISSPro Oil and LP pressure gauges, GDP 20/2 filters, Custom Diesel Steering Box Brace
'10 Forest River Shockwave Toy Hauler 21'
Honda EU3000I Genny

harley-dave
Explorer
Explorer
or possibly up I-15 to 20, across to 89, back to Panguitch. That climb from Parawon is a 13%. 143 to the lake is an easy run./

Dave
2005 Winnebago-Itasca Sundancer 31C
2010 Harley-Davidson Soft tail Deluxe
2014 Harley-Davidson Street Glide Special
1999 Chevrolet Tracker 4X4
SKP # 121272

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Las+Vegas,+NV&daddr=Panguitch+Lake&ll=37.592626,-112.900525&spn=0...
this is the tightest curve that I can find on 14 on the climb to the turn off to Cedar Breaks.

Compare that to the switchback right below the ski resort on 143
http://goo.gl/maps/v38sC

The only realistic alternative to 14 is 59 to 89 to Panguitch.

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450๐Ÿ™‚