cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Route from the South to Glacier Natl Park

bobber4
Explorer
Explorer
We are taking a trip to Glacier National Park from Oklahoma. We are pulling a 34ft 5th wheel.
we will be coming up through Wyoming. What is the best route to get Columbia Fall?
Is highway 83 decent---or is it faster to go up 93 or 93 to 35? Thanks in advance for the help!

Gayle
Gayle Andrews
6 REPLIES 6

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have done the route from Missoula north. I believe it is 93 up to the west side of Flathead Lake. We were towing in a 36 ft Itascal Horizon. Not a bad road back then, but pretty crooked if you are trying to make time. Road follows the lake shore pretty much all the way past the lake.
In Kalispell we went US 2 through Hungry Horse. We stayed a few days in West Glacier and did day trips across the top to the east side of the park. In August there was still a lot of snow around the visitors center. Streams were full and running fast.
I believe the Going to the Sun Road has been re-done since we were there, adding width and some barriers in places.
I might call the pakr and make sure the GttS Road is open if that is one of your objectives. There is a length limit but we were OK in the Honda we were towing at the time. The Red Buses were running, but I preferred my own driving rather than riding with some guy I didn't know or how well he handled a loaded truck
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
No buses or shuttles this year!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Ed_Gee
Explorer II
Explorer II
bobber4 wrote:
We are going Sept 19-23---hopefully everything will be open!

The Blackfoot indian reservation has closed eastern access to .glacier Nat. park through October.....at least.
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

bobber4
Explorer
Explorer
We are going Sept 19-23---hopefully everything will be open!
Gayle Andrews

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
Right now, Glacier NP has 3 zones. Eastern 3rd is completely closed. Middle third is only open for hikers and bikers. Western third is open.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I have used both. Prefer MT 83, 35, and 206. It is straighter but slightly narrower.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker