cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RT 17 north from GA to VA

ontheroad101
Explorer
Explorer
Planning on traveling north from GA to VA on route 17. Any input on traveling with a MH and a small car. Any advice, or areas to avoid. Thanks in advance.
Super Wife Linda, me Bob &
(Blazer & Lilly's ashes on board)
2014 Forester Class C, our Blog http://www.bobandlindasrvtravels.blogspot.com/

Sea Eagle Fishermen & Kayak
4 REPLIES 4

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
I've traveled the entire length and would have no problems with your rig if you aren't in a hurry.

For Charleston, make sure to grab I526 towards Mt Pleasant. If you really want to avoid the traffic lights in Mt Pleasant, take the 2nd exit after crossing the first big bridge on I526, this is the Cainhoy exit to the north. Follow that until you see a horse area with pond and then bear left afterwards which will take you to Half Way Creek. Follow it and take a right at the stop sign (about 6 miles), turn right on Steed Creek Road. This will drop you back on 17 way outside the city. Half Way Creek isn't the smoothest road but you have to pay some price to avoid all the Mt Pleasant traffic.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

Chrisatthebeach
Explorer
Explorer
johnhicks wrote:
If you're passing through pick up I-95 just before Richmond Hill to avoid Savannah and rejoin US-17 at Hardeeville. Then you'll be back on I-95 north of Ridgeland and back on US-17 south of Yemassee. I've gone as far north as Huntington Beach SP and it was a good drive. Looks like the cutoff around Myrtle Beach on the Carolina Bays Parkway (SR-31) would be good.

At Ridgeland where 17 dumps you back on I95 turn left, you will stay on the old 17 to Yemassee and off of I95. This past week with everyone going home from Florida to do taxes I95 north has been a parking lot. 95 goes from 3 lanes in GA to 2 lanes in SC and it is a headache. Staying on 17 will keep you out of it for 33 miles.
Chris & Dianne
Jayco Designer 3110 SOLD 6-11-2016, looking for the next one.
F250 PSD 4x4 Crew Cab

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
If you're passing through pick up I-95 just before Richmond Hill to avoid Savannah and rejoin US-17 at Hardeeville. Then you'll be back on I-95 north of Ridgeland and back on US-17 south of Yemassee. I've gone as far north as Huntington Beach SP and it was a good drive. Looks like the cutoff around Myrtle Beach on the Carolina Bays Parkway (SR-31) would be good.
-jbh-

trailertraveler
Explorer
Explorer
We use US-17 from just North of the Georgia/South Carolina border coming South and going North every year. There are bypasses around most of the major populated areas. To bypass most of Myrtle Beach take SC-544 to SC-31 to SC-9 back to US-17 North.
Safe travels!
Trailertraveler