cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV title or registration

Hpymils
Explorer
Explorer
In the past we have all ways used our RV title for entry to Mexico. Can we use vehicle registration instead of the title?
20 REPLIES 20

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
One year when we were paying for our fm3 the bank would not accept the form as I signed it with a different colored pen than the rest of the paperwork. Mexico is the queen of bureaucracy

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
robatthelake wrote:
Canadian Rainbirds wrote:
Interesting. British Columbia, and I believe it is true of all Canadian Provinces and Territories, doesn't have titles for motor vehicles or trailers. Just the registration document which comes from a printer. Hard to tell original from copy.

We'll see what happens this year.

Mexico recognizes that Canadian Registration documents are the Title!

If You are making a photocopy of the registration be sure to do a two sided copy!

Thanks Rob! Buy you a margarita at El Manglar!

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer
Canadian Rainbirds wrote:
Interesting. British Columbia, and I believe it is true of all Canadian Provinces and Territories, doesn't have titles for motor vehicles or trailers. Just the registration document which comes from a printer. Hard to tell original from copy.

Mexico recognizes that Canadian Registration documents are the Title!

If You are making a photocopy of the registration be sure to do a two sided copy!
Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
'"We actually have a family lawyer that is doing the paperwork for us for free,...". That's your first issue. Family Law and Probate/Trust work are quite different. Get a P/T attorney. What have you done for this attorney for free?

"in California it may take a couple of hours to transfer a home title with an escrow agent and that is it." No it doesn't and no they don't. Title is "transferred" in California for instance upon signing of a deed then recoding for notice to others (not parties) not by an escrow agent. If the owner is deceased and has a trust, it is much easier.

With a will or no estate planning document in California, a probate proceeding is usually required when the real property is valued by a referee below a very small amount. Decedent's bills all paid? MediCal paid for her and any predeceased husband? Cleared by Franchise Tax Board? IRS? Your "advice" is valueless.

The Republic of Mexico has their procedures as they should. It's their country, not ours.

"every young person in Mexico has a dream of becoming a lawyer and possibly run for president or a Hueso (bone) in the government, there are more lawyers per capita than regular citizens." Untrue, nasty, inaccurate, shameful commentary.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
No hearsay no BS 28 months and counting you said it inheriting time between 6 to 9 months in the USA, I am currently in Mexico working with a lawyer of more than 50 years of practice in Mexico, I stick to the facts.

Lived, worked and studied in Mexico and done business for about 50 years both importing and exporting machinery and artesanias, I am Mexican by birth, American by marriage and Swedish by my father, I know Mexico a lot better that than some of you!

What you say about the US is the same in Mexico only that it takes a lot longer because of the burocratas and the inept clerks that can not pay attention to names, dates, addresses ETC. and it is not a one time, former wife inherited her parents house so I know how that goes too.

navegator

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
I guess you have never inherited property or an estate in the U.S. In the U.S. the process includes the following; opening probate, inventory and valuations, creditor deadlines, and tax deadlines.

The expected wait time is between 6 and 9 months.

The U.S. system of law is not an express system and is also classified as a bureaucrats nightmare thanks to greedy federal and state laws and lawyers who would charge far more than any lawyer doing probate work in Mexico.

Let's stick to the facts, not hearsay or a one-time personal experience. On every thread in the last several months Mexico has been ripped to shreds. Tired.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
O.K. here goes:

Two years ago we started the process of transferring the house that my mother in law left my brother in law and my wife in Ciudad Satelite in the suburbs of Mexico City, first verifying that the will is authentic and that Mama is actually dead and is the correct person that is dead, that took four months and it took us about two months to get all the paper work together, birth certificates and coroners reports ETC, then we returned to the USA since the 180 days on the toad and my visa were up, we now left the toad and RV in Texas with my brother.

Returned by plane in a bucket seat, I am to tall for those miniature seats, I ask for the isle seat always.

Then we had to prove that my brother in law and my wife are the same person that the will stipulates that in itself was a big headache, all paper work was denied by the courts, wife's name is Erika with a K and the idiots at the court wrote it as Erica with a C, we had to get a new birth certificate that took two weeks to get and resubmit every scrap of paper, then came the third step and that is with Hacienda the equivalent of the IRS.

We had to prove that the property is the same as in the will and that all taxes and any lean is satisfied, that took a mountain of paperwork, we still had to prove that the address is correct and that every one involved is who they claim to be and that the will was correct and actually current and that all the birth certificates are current they can not be more than three month old so we had to get new ones for Hacienda (IRS equivalent) they only accept originals no copies and paid all the prediales (property taxes) owed and verified paid.

Now comes the transfer of title, so we submitted all the mountain of paperwork to the appropriate agency four months ago, and last week we were told that the judge misread one document so we have to submit every document again with new birth certificates since the time has passed and all the forms for the house and will and every document imaginable.

We actually have a family lawyer that is doing the paperwork for us for free, her son is going to inherit the house with is wife my niece, I can not imagine the amount of money that we would have spent on a law firm, every young person in Mexico has a dream of becoming a lawyer and possibly run for president or a Hueso (bone) in the government, there are more lawyers per capita than regular citizens.

Two years and four months, in California it may take a couple of hours to transfer a home title with an escrow agent and that is it.

So have at least six copies of every document that you can think off that you may need even the cats and dogs vaccine and birth certificate just in case, make sure that front and back are copied and together and if they are in color even better.

Mexico is a bureaucrats dream and a nightmare for the average citizen, the Aduanero or Immigration officers or for that matter Banjersito can just about make up any arcane law, and lo and behold it exists in the Diario Oficial de la Federacion

navegator

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
Hpymils wrote:
Thanks to all for the information. As JerBear said, we will be taking the registration and title this year.

In my experience the more paperwork you have the better. I saw one couple asked for their marriage license

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Moishes, I recommend the reading of a book

Fire & Ice

It's the history of Mexico and clearly shows that the pinnacle of employment was not to become a doctor or scientist or engineer. It was (and is) to become a bureaucrat. Government being the ultimate. It's a tradition from Spain.

It would not raise one eyebrow to learn Mexico has two to three THOUSAND more federal laws than the USA. I believe Navegator, can inform the forum about TRAMITES.

Creating and enforcing a new law appeals to a bureaucrat like a new Kalashnikov appeals to a sicario (hit man). Selective enforcement of a veritable tsunami of laws and regulations infuriates Mexicans. A cop can almost invent what he is sure to be a new infraccion but in reality somewhere lost in an overstuffed file cabinet a similar law exists.

I have had too many Aduaneros tell me A LASER COLOR COPY (both sides) is sufficient to believe that a genuine copy is needed. On the signature for the release of title Print NO CAMBIO. In effect, VOID for transfer but keep in mind this is a copy not the original. One sargento in Lazaro Cardenas asked for the ownership certificate as I had stupidly reorganized the cab and had left the transparent pouch at home.

"Why is this a copy" he asked while rubbing his finger across the NO CAMBIO.

"It is because I wish no one to question that I have illegal intentions of selling the vehicle down here". Of course! That made perfect sense. He smiled and handed the certificate copy back to me.

Taking the original is only risky if it is with held or lost. In California at least it is a hassle getting a copy and the replacement is clearly marked DUPLICATE. Now THAT DID raise eyebrows everywhere I presented it.

I am trying my best to offer tips for a smooth border crossing. My personal opinion of Yecalandia's tips and information is that he is right on target.

Matamoros to El Pazo, is a world apart. So are the three cities across the border from California. These guys have been ------ ever since I started coming to Mexico. It seems like the only thing that keeps Tijuana from completely jumping the rails is the immense amount of money tourists bring to the border area.

WHEN is all of Sonora and south of Ensenada going to become a mandatory TIP region? Good question. The last time Mexico bureaucrats tried to monkey with the machinery (this is no joke), the state of Baja California told gobernacion it was considering a referendum and a vote to succeed from Mexico and join the USA.

I can only hope this explanation serves to clarify why the government of Mexico acts so goofy.

Hpymils
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all for the information. As JerBear said, we will be taking the registration and title this year.

JerBear
Explorer
Explorer
Mountaineer42 wrote:
Mountaineer42 wrote:

~ As in the past, Aduana officials recognize that Canadians do not get vdhicle titles, so their provinceโ€™s registration papers are sufficient to get a TIP.
"

In Nova Scotia we have a vehicle registration that we carry in the vehicle but we are also issued a Certificate of Registration that is to be kept in a safe place. These are issued for all plated vehicles be it a car,truck, rv,boat or utility trailer. We used to take this with us but the last few crossings we did not and just used our vehicle registration. Something tells me we will be taking both this year ๐Ÿ˜‰
2007 CITATION Supreme 10'8" Truck Camper,Torklift Fastguns, Torklift Tiedowns,Torklift Superhitch,Reese Front Hitch, Honda EU2000i Generator, 2x100 Watt Solar Panel /MPPT Controller, 2500 Watt Inverter.
2006 GMC 3500HD DRW Ex. Cab Truck, Duramax/Allison

Mountaineer42
Explorer
Explorer
Mountaineer42 wrote:

~ As in the past, Aduana officials recognize that Canadians do not get vdhicle titles, so their provinceโ€™s registration papers are sufficient to get a TIP.
"

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
One has to wonder why they are being so strict. The TIP program has been around for a long time. Maybe more than 15 years. Is it retaliation? Personally I would not blame Mexico if that is correct. In the past when these problems arose it was due to lobbying by the Auto Dealer Association. There are plenty of rules they are not enforcing. For awhile residents who were importing vehicles permanently needed a current smog test. The same problem occurred for anyone requiring a pass to enter the CDMX area that requires odd or even plates. As has been stated Aduaneros have the right to refuse entry for any reason. A friends had 12 bags of used clothing to donate. He was told they must be fumigated before allowed entry. Of course the Aduanero said you could just leave them at the border. My neighbor had 3 green treated poles to construct a lean to. They sent him to some place where spray was applied.

Moisheh