cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Salt Lake to Albuquerque on a 40 Pusher then to Florida.

shft22
Explorer
Explorer
I am picking up a new to me 40ft pusher in Salt Lake City and driving it to South Florida.
One route option, is to head south on US-191 to Monticello, UT, then US-491 to Shiprock, NM, then US-64/550 to Albuquerque, NM connect to I-40 and work my way East. This is about an 8/9 hour drive just to get to Albuquerque.Plan then would be to overnight somewhere in Albuquerque.

For what I have been able to gather these are good quality roads, so I am not to worry about that part of it. My concern is around security if we have to stop for any reason, I have heard, on other sites, that crime in this area can be a problem. Also it looks like these roads are very desolated, are they well traveled? Is there help in case I have mechanical issues, how about fuel.

Are rest stops/truck stops safe on I-40 for overnight?

My other option is to go east on I-70 to Denver and continue east, but this may not be a good option do to weather.
45 REPLIES 45

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I'd avoid New Mexico. Between the Governor shutting the state down, and the recent history of the Native American's shutting the Reservations down, it wouldn't be my first choice to go that way.

If the weather is good, I80 to Laramie to 287 to I25 would be better than I70 across. Lots of choices on how to proceed once you get to Denver.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

shft22
Explorer
Explorer
The is trip is this week, the plan is to start driving Thursday.
So far it looks like the weather will cooperate, if it holds I may stay on I-70 all the way to St. Louis, then work my way south on I-24 picking up I-75 in Chattanooga. Of course I have to be conscious of Atlanta traffic, timing here will be critical.
Thank you everyone, you guys have provided lots of insight and details.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
shft22 wrote:
Yes out primary option is actually I-70 to Denver. The South route is a backup plan in case the high passes to Denver have bad weather. So far the weather forecasts looks good in Salt Lake, Denver and ST. Louis, so we may be heading east first then south.

We have FMCA Road emergency service, as well as my insurance suppose to reimburse. To add more fuel to this fire, I think NM governor just closed the state, so another reason to try and not go that way. At the end Weather will make the decision, hopefully not but most likely t will.

BTW, I was not referring to Native Americans when I was asking about crime, some other site mention that law enforcement on NM roads was not the most reliable, this is why I was asking.

Great Grandmother Was a Cherokee from Georgia, She was just another American, we all see it differently, IMHO the area is one of the Safer areas in the Southwest, so I would not worry if you were to go South. I'd also look at locating open CG's along you routes

Couple more notes on your Route - Look also at I-80 if the weather is good it might just be easier to navigate and Faster as while it may appear to be more northern it might just make sense.

Out of Denver look at I-70 to Limon then South to Amarillo on RT 287 then through Paris to Texarkana then on your way to Southern Florida. Just a Suggestion as to what might just be the Easy way in the Late Fall/Winter, Been there done that, in winter of 2007 or 8 on our way to Florida one Year.

Hope this is of some Help,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

dedmiston
I didn't see exactly when you're going, but a lot of the tribal territories in NM are currently blocked off because of covid.

They're having a lot of trouble in New Mexico. Hopefully you'll be fully stocked before you get there so you won't need to go out for supplies. They'll appreciate it of you keep rolling through their state as quickly as possible. It's a gorgeous place to visit, but now isn't the time.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Stock up on supplies, fill the tanks, pick a weather window, and hit the road.

The Florida wether is the worst part of the trip this week.

and the road conditions on I-10 is horrible

good luck
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

shft22
Explorer
Explorer
Yes out primary option is actually I-70 to Denver. The South route is a backup plan in case the high passes to Denver have bad weather. So far the weather forecasts looks good in Salt Lake, Denver and ST. Louis, so we may be heading east first then south.

We have FMCA Road emergency service, as well as my insurance suppose to reimburse. To add more fuel to this fire, I think NM governor just closed the state, so another reason to try and not go that way. At the end Weather will make the decision, hopefully not but most likely t will.

BTW, I was not referring to Native Americans when I was asking about crime, some other site mention that law enforcement on NM roads was not the most reliable, this is why I was asking.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
stickdog wrote:
smarty wrote:
azdryheat wrote:
Don't sweat the indians. I'd be more concerned about the NM Gov. closing down everything, which she just did. Avoid NM at all cost.

They are termed native americans not indians

How can they be native Americans when there was no America. I prefer first nation peoples though that is a misnomer as well.
just to yank some one chain,
It is more fun to play cowboy's and Indians.

and anyone that gets PO'ed over that can kiss my grits..

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
We transit Oak Harbor - San Antonio yearly our best/shortest route is 90-82-84-80-25 (detour Las Vegas - Santa Rosa) and back to 40. east. but use OKC and south. (all good roads)
It can get nasty in OKC.

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
shft22 wrote:
OK, now I am confuse, is 491 or 550 a more traveled road south of Shiprock.
I'll defer to the guy who has a lot more experience there than I. I admit, it is a long time since I drove 550, but 491 seemed good for me about 2 years back.
I expect they're all just fine now.
Main comment I agree with: "weather, weather, weather"!

NMDriver2
Explorer
Explorer

Officially it is the Bureau of Indian Affairs not the Bureau of Native American Affairs or Indigenous Peoples, etc. Individually they are Navaho, Ute, Zuni, Hopi, Sandia, Laguna, etc. As a group they are Indians. Just as a group we are listed as White, Black, Hispanic, Pacific Islander, etc.
Turret Class traveler

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
shft22 wrote:
I am picking up a new to me 40ft pusher in Salt Lake City and driving it to South Florida.
One route option, is to head south on US-191 to Monticello, UT, then US-491 to Shiprock, NM, then US-64/550 to Albuquerque, NM connect to I-40 and work my way East. This is about an 8/9 hour drive just to get to Albuquerque.Plan then would be to overnight somewhere in Albuquerque.

For what I have been able to gather these are good quality roads, so I am not to worry about that part of it. My concern is around security if we have to stop for any reason, I have heard, on other sites, that crime in this area can be a problem. Also it looks like these roads are very desolated, are they well traveled? Is there help in case I have mechanical issues, how about fuel.

Are rest stops/truck stops safe on I-40 for overnight?

My other option is to go east on I-70 to Denver and continue east, but this may not be a good option do to weather.

Having driven to Colorado from the East and Back during almost every month of the Year the Main Concern is Weather The second concern is possible Emergency Service - New to You - Meaning you really know nothing about the reliability of your new to you Coach - So you need to be able to be sure you are on a route that will allow you to get Service if it's Needed!!!!!

IMHO you need to stay on the I's as much as Possible - you need to get as far South and as Low in Altitude as Possible - as Quick as Possible. Winter has already been through Denver I think about three times already, while it will melt quickly it is not advisable to be driving in the Freezing weather Period.

Now that said - you are right on the Edge of the time when Winter settes in on the Southwest, so again just be aware of the weather.

Once you can get into Texas, you will be fine - and the drive home will be a Breeze. 🙂

One more note - I have often driven I-70 in November and Early December with no issue so you are likely not to have an Issue - but just be prepared and Be aware that it and a break down should be your major concerns - Have some sort of Roadside service for this drive just in Case I just had a Tow this Summer and it was $1100 dollars so roadside service is critical for this drive - once you get this Baby into your own routine things will go much more smoothly.

Keep your Fuel both Diesel and Propane FULL as possible as if you need to hold up a few days you need to be Prepared.

Best of Luck, and let us know how how you do.
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

NMDriver2
Explorer
Explorer
shft22 wrote:
OK, now I am confuse, is 491 or 550 a more traveled road south of Shiprock.

550 for normal traffic going east. If you live on the reservation south of Shiprock you use 491 to go north or south to Gallup. If you live on the reservation south east of Shiprock you use 550. If you live on the reservation west of Shiprock you use US64

To add to the picture look at 371 from Farmington to Thoreau 😉

I always use 550, but 64 from Shiprock to Chama then south via 64 and 84 is also a good road.

It all depends on the weather.

Do a google maps street view of 491 halfway and of 550 halfway.
Turret Class traveler

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
smarty wrote:
azdryheat wrote:
Don't sweat the indians. I'd be more concerned about the NM Gov. closing down everything, which she just did. Avoid NM at all cost.

How can they be native Americans when there was no America. I prefer first nation peoples though that is a misnomer as well.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Tom/Barb wrote:
Remember ALTITUDE. Flag Staff is 7000' high, winter comes early there.

Get off the high county as soon as you can.

STL-Denver- and south east is the quickest way off the high county

Actually, thinking about it...if the weather across I-70 to Denver looks good, that might be a better option.

Once you hit Denver, multiple options open up and you can choose a route based on weather. From there on, pretty much everywhere is more developed, so if you have issues, you can get assistance more easily.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

smarty
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote: