cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

San Carlos MX

chucklesg
Explorer
Explorer
Living just south of Tucson in Sierra Vista, and having just bought a new Arctic Fox 5th wheel, i want to get dwn to San Carlos before it gets too hot.

Any and all suggestions on getting there and when the heat might beome unberable, would be greatly appreciated.

I forgot to add I'd be taking my 2 dogs and the RV is registered to my LLC, the truck to me. Not sure about the paperwork requiements for dogs and vehicles.
11 REPLIES 11

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Mexicowanderer:

But you are so old that was before climate change!!! San Carlos has almost the same weather as Kino. May and June are great. Cools off at night. The worst months are August and September when the humidity matches the temp. Unbearable.

Moisheh

daveB110
Explorer
Explorer
For San Carlos, you will need the FMM travel permits if staying longer than 3 days (72 hours).

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Jeez Moishe I've boiled there in late May. The weather is still changeable. In the Totonaka park in 1987, I recorded more than a dozen days in a row in mid June that reached 100 in the shade. July is even hotter, and around the end of July and the first of August the temperature goes down a little but steam-bath humidity rolls in. That time of year, shady parking is what I crave most.

Anyway, the sooner the better. You aren't going to find it cool there. The water temps might be a little on the brisk side but the sun will be bright and warm.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
RV's do not get a "free" pass in the no hassle zone. They are treated the same as in the Federal zone. His tow vehicle should be free but we have a MH so I am not sure. Our toad does not require a permit. Could it be more confusing?

Moisheh

RonYVickie
Explorer
Explorer
Just a question that may make my life simpler. Does he technically need a permit for either vehicle if he's only going to SC, which is within the "no hassle zone" in Sonora ? I'm specifically interested in the trailer. RYV

chucklesg
Explorer
Explorer
Where do you get permits online? And a 10 year permit for the RV trailer?

Thanks to all who have responded, and a Happy Easter to all.

tony_lee
Explorer
Explorer
We were specifically asked for the permission document because the registration was in the name of the LLC. It was just a bit of paper drawn up by myself as LLC member giving myself permission to take it across the border. Included a picture of the MH to make it look a bit fancier. Wasn't notarised, but without it we wouldn't have been cleared.

I've since changed the name of the LLC to our full names so the registration and title has our names on it but of course with "LLC" at the end - hoping to make it less of a hassle in Central and South America.
Tony
Lots of photos with comprehensive captions at MY PICASA Album
Spotwalla map of our travels - Our Travel map

Talleyho69
Get your vehicle permits on line. It's the same price, and easier.
Dogs? We also travel with two. Hate to disagree, but legally, the US can only ask for rabies certificates, nothing more. Cats? Nothing at all!

darbone85737
Explorer
Explorer
We live in Oro Valley and have stayed at Totonaka in SC for many years. Great place and Joseph, the owner, goes out of his way to make his guests happy. If you need anything just ask. It's like having a concierge at a hotel.

It's an easy 5 hour ride from Nogales. Stay on MX15 all the way and just watch for the signs, especially going through Hermosillo. Get your visas and permit for the trailer at the Immigration and Customs (Aduana)stop, 21km into Mexico. You should take enough pesos for the tolls going south. They no longer take dollars at he booths. You can use your ATM card to get additional pesos in San CArlos

We also travel with 2 dogs. You need to get a health certificate for them from their vet. We always just carried their shot records and had never been asked for a health certificate until this year. No problem entering Mexico but the US officers asked for the certificates coming back into the US.

Fill your vehicle with fuel before crossing the border. Fuel is now more expensive in Mexico.

San Carlos is a nice, easy introduction to Mexico. Relax, have fun and enjoy

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
No heat problems until July. There is only one CG in San Carlos, Totonaka. Nice spot. Your trailer needs a 10 year permit. If staying longer than 7 days you need a tourist permit. I think the truck gets in without a permit. You will also need Mexican insurance for both vehicles. The Trailer with the LLC requires a simple letter authorizing you to use the vehicle in Mexico.

Moisheh

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
Never been there this late in the season but others should reply soon. Nor can I answer about the LLC. I don't believe you need anything for the vehicle in your name as long as you don't go much farther south. We always have the full permits as we travel everywhere.

Dogs: Need to have their shots up to date. Note that Mexico does not recognise 2 or three year rabies vaccinations. Must be one year. You should also obtain an International Health Certificate from your vet. In 12 years we have never been asked for papers for the dogs southbound and only once going north into the USA. However we have heard from people being asked very time.