cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

San Carlos-Nogales VFR Direct?

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
In a couple of weeks we'll head to the border. Think we're the last transient rig since we've seen none since Patzcurao. We'll turn the lights out until Fall. Thank you all for the advice that we've used this trip.

Wondering if doing a straight shot from San Carlos to Nogales is reasonably doable? Maps says it is 258 miles so at 40MPH that would be about 7 hours, but there are more check points etc. We normally do less than 5 and understand that you can't average a lot SOB. But, this would be mostly cuota so 40MPH is doable?

I wouldn't think about it except I don't see a reason to not press on. Moisheh isn't in Kino so we can't bug him and his bride. If we go to Santa Anna, might as well go (but it could be a Plan B). Thoughts?
Hickory, NC
2007 Fleetwood Discovery 40X
24 REPLIES 24

cross_country
Explorer
Explorer
we left Maz on the 7th of April and the cuota has never been better in 16 years. Left Maz at 5am and was at kilometer 21 just at sunset. There is always construction but nothing really that holds one up this year.

Mary and Tom '86 Crosscountry Sportscoach
2000 Foretravel U320 4210

cross_country
Explorer
Explorer
we left Maz on the 7th of April and the cuota has never been better in 16 years. Left Maz at 5am and was at kilometer 21 just at sunset. There is always construction but nothing really that holds one up this year.

Talleyho69
Here's another suggestion: Stop in Santa Ana at Edgar and Ana's place. That pretty much breaks your trip in half.

End of March, we thought the road from San Carlos to Lukeville was in pretty good condition.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
It is doable but we try not to stress our selves. You have to allow from 1/2 to 2 hours at the border. Usually one hour.

briansue
Explorer
Explorer
15 is not cuota all the way though it does show cuota on maps - it does go through a number of towns and there are topes - but it can be done in a day if you get up early. Hermosillo can slow you down a bit. We haven't traveled that route in a few years so cannot report on road conditions but have noticed a number of people on this forum saying 15 is in bad shape and there are construction areas - though I have no idea what conditions you will find north of San Carlos. We have always done that section in a day going both north and south.

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all. In my 3 trips, too often I see that it only "x" miles on the cuota and then it takes forever. I know you can go 50 or so on Cuotas but earlier this year there were posts about bad road surface on 15D plus the checkpoints.

That will be the plan. Thanks.
Hickory, NC
2007 Fleetwood Discovery 40X

Talleyho69
We drive San Carlos to Lukeville in one easy day, and that's further.

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Quotas can be driven at 50 to 60 miles per hour, only on the libres do you need to slow down for the towns and the topes.

navegator

cross_country
Explorer
Explorer
no problem at all. all things being normal you should be hooked up in Tucson by the pool long before dark. leave early in the morning like 6;30 or so and drive at at normal speed 50 to 60 the road was in very good shape a month ago.

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
258 miles on a flat desert highway, you must be kidding.

They will probably arrest you for slow driving if you go 40 MPH on quota #15 🙂