cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

San Fran to Glacier

hobbssb
Explorer
Explorer
We'll be traveling from SF to Glacier the middle of May and would welcome suggestions on scenic routes to and from. We did the Oregon coast last year, so are looking to go inland. We just have a 22' Sprinter, so curves and grades are not a big issue. Thanks.
7 REPLIES 7

hobbssb
Explorer
Explorer
And now that we have read more about Glacier - Because most of the Going-to-the-Sun Road in Glacier will still be closed, we've decided to just go to Yellowstone/Grand Teton on this trip. Thanks, everybody, for your input.

hobbssb
Explorer
Explorer
paulj wrote:
There are lots of choices - almost too many.

Agreed! We're into mountains and scenery more than cities or towns. Thanks for your suggestions in helping us wade thru the choices.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Mountain Directory West for the route. A Google search for `______ tourism' with get you ideas of where to stop. Put the city, state, area, or whatever in the blank space.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are lots of choices - almost too many. Roughly you could choose anything within a box bounded by:

I80 and I15 on the south and east
I5 (or US101) on the west, and WA20/US2 on the north (or even Hwy3 in Canada).

In between you could take I90 to Montana, or I84/US395 to Spokane. Or US12 across Idaho to US93, and then north.

You can pickup US93 in Nevada, or take any of US97, US395, US95 north.

Instead of routes, you might think about significant geographical features (and towns), and whether you want to cross them or skip them.

the Sierra Nevadas, Nevada deserts, Oregon Cascades, Oregon Outback, Washington Cascades, Columbia Gorge, Snake River, Idaho mountains, northern Rockies are major geographic features.

Towns include Portland, Seattle/Tacoma, Spokane, Missoula.

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
welcome. but since you are so far south, I might be a pretty ride up on east side of sierra through Bishop all the way north. great campgrounds on way.
what are you pulling or driving
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife ๐Ÿ™‚

hobbssb
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks B Baker. It's nice to know about 80. We look forward to hearing from you later. Thanks for your response!

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
we have been about 6 times.
went 80 only once. nothing to see.
we go to Redding and then head east. end up in Oregon, Idaho Montana.
we had snow even in July
beautiful trip
not home right now, will try to get exact routes, and BLM campgrounds we stayed at.
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife ๐Ÿ™‚