cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Savannah to Panama city beach- which road is best?

rnr07
Explorer
Explorer
My Question is - is it better to go down to I 10 or take the other way thru GA, the GOOG says from I 95 take GA 82 to GA 84 to Valdosta.

We normally take I-10 and stop in Lake city to visit family but this year we are trying to possibly get right to Panama City Beach from Skidaway Island.

Not looking for the scenic route- Just want to get to the beach and away from the rain here in maryland!!

We'll be making the drive on a tuesday.

Wondering if the roads are more than 1 or 2 lane, speed limits, lights??

Not sure if it will save us time, 1st option is 414 miles, 2nd is 374.

Thanks as always for any help...
5 REPLIES 5

BillMFl
Explorer
Explorer
Passin Thru wrote:
I10 will beat your kidneys out anyway.

Actually it is very smooth from Jax to I75. Just drove it last week. It is rough from New O to Texas.
Order is illusion. Chaos is reality. But right or wrong I'm still the captain. 🙂

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
I10 will beat your kidneys out anyway.

BillMFl
Explorer
Explorer
Not much scenery in South Georgia. I take the back roads when I have lots of time and want to avoid the Interstates. But all you will see is pine trees, cotton fields and onion fields if you get close to Vidalia. If you want a fast trip 95 to 10 is easy. Taking the back roads is cool and nostalgic passing thru older small towns where life looks like the "good old days". Don't be surprised if you encounter logging trucks and Ag equipment along the way.
Order is illusion. Chaos is reality. But right or wrong I'm still the captain. 🙂

rnr07
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the suggestion about going to rt 319...that looks like a nice direct route.

robsouth
Explorer
Explorer
I would go 82 to Waycross, 84 to Valdosta and then to Thomasville, then 319 S. to 98 and follow 98 to PC. A lot of it is 4 lane, some two lane, but good road. I-10 is a long and very boring ride with little or nothing to see.JMHO.
"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."