cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scenic Byway to RNMP and Estes Park, Colorado

mcmills
Explorer
Explorer
We're going to be headed to Yellowstone after passing through Denver, and I would like to drive through RMNP and Estes. I'm looking at taking Hwy 119/72/7 from an overnight in Idaho Springs to Estes Park, then Hwy 34 out the west side of RNMP. Is this feasible in a 40' diesel pusher and toad without overworking myself and the rig? If it's do-able, any suggestions for overnights in the parks?

Mike M.
2006 Phaeton 40 QDH
2009 HHR Toad
Mike & Sandy
2006 Phaeton 40 QDH
2009 HHR Toad
4 REPLIES 4

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II

mcmills
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks much; your remarks were very helpful!
Mike & Sandy
2006 Phaeton 40 QDH
2009 HHR Toad

Engineer_Guy
Explorer
Explorer
What 'Son of Norway' said twice...

Highway 34 through RMNP is the sort of Road that needs the Signage: 'Vehicles Over 35' to Kingpin Are Not Advised'. The turns around Rock cuts can be tight, so I recommend disconnecting the Toad. Touristas do some really goofy things, like stop partway in the Road to 'get that picture'. There's Turnouts where Road Engineers could put them.

At the stunning Alpine Vistor's Center at the Summit, you're just shy of 12,000' elevation. Air is ~25% less dense there, and this affects Engine Cooling; especially when stopped. On a peak Summer Weekend day, the ample Parking up there can be tough for a Big Rig. This, too, will be easier w/o the Toad connected, as will be the parking at various Turnouts. However, Big Rigs are expected, and parking is 'friendly'.

Late every Spring, the Road Crews attach these 'Rotomills' on the front of huge Tractors, and have to Snowplow through 12' Snow Drifts. It's a big deal every year IF Trail Ridge Road (Hwy 34) opens by Memorial Day. Sometimes, it doesn't. So, check the Links below first. Late Snowstorms and a late thaw this year = more Snow up there than 'usual'.

When I've hauled Int'l Biz Visitors up to RMNP, I very occasionally have been stuck behind a big RV that died. But, it's rare. About every Turnout has stunning views, so pull over and enjoy while the Rig cools IF that's an issue. It clouds up here about every Summer afternoon and cools down; especially at those elevations.

On Google Earth, you can invoke 'Street View' and 'drive' Hwy 34 as seen by the Google Car that drove that route and stored all the Video of it. You can also invoke 'Panaramio' on the Google Earth Webpage left side and see lots of Pictures that Visitors have uploaded. Last, by putting the Cursor on the Road while still in Satellite View from above, you can read out Road elevations and get a sense of Road Grade and see tight curves in advance for yourself.

There's lot of Big Rigs up there in the Summer, so no need to be spooked by that Route. It's a stunner... The RMNP Staff linked below will have helpful advice.

Rocky Mountain National Park Info

Colorado Road Conditions

Son_of_Norway
Explorer
Explorer
You will have no problems on the peak-to-peak highway. It's a beautiful route through some of the best scenery in the state. Just let your family enjoy the scenery while you keep your eyes on the road. Trail Ridge Road is a little more problematic with a rig the size of yours. When are you coming through? I would do it at a time when there will be less traffic, like a weekday morning. Having someone drive the toad separately will make the sharp curves less of a worry for you. And there are some very narrow sharp curves that are complicated by rock faces, cliff edges, rocks in the road, oncoming traffic, tourists stopping and parking and walking anywhere and everywhere, wildlife, snow, etc. Just take it slow.

As to overnights, we stay at campgrounds in the national forest and RMNP, so I would defer to other members that are more familiar with the RV parks in Estes Park. I hope you have a great trip.

Miles
Miles and Darcey
1989 Holiday Rambler Crown Imperial
Denver, CO