cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

SE BC Provincial Parks help

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
This summer, we're planning on leaving the Banff/Jasper area and heading down though the Kootenays. In the past, we've headed west through Glacier and Mt. Revelstoke to Vancouver but want to explore new areas. I'm looking for recommendation on which route you would recommend and which Provincial Parks you like.

I see several possible routes: 93/95 to Cranbrook, 23/6 south to Castlegar, 23/31/3A to Castlegar. Comments on these routes or any others come to mind?

We like to do short to moderate hikes. We'll also have our mountain bikes -- we're intermediate-type bikers. Any recommendations on these activities might steer us in one direction or another. We'll have several days to a week in the area.

For camping, we have a tent trailer and don't need any hookups, but I earn points with the wife when we camp where there are flush toilets. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)
6 REPLIES 6

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Regarding hikes with parks (and nearby) in this area:
- Redstreak (Kootenay NP) - you can make a look to the hot springs, and back via the creek from the campground (2-3 hrs)
- Premier Lake PP - good loop within the park, plus much longer hike up the mountain to the east
- Kokanee Ck - enough hiking within the park for after supper. Lots more if you take the road up the mountain to the wilderness park
- Blanket Ck - another with a good after supper hike

Get the Backroads Mapbook for the area. Lists lots of hikes.

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, thanks for all the suggestions. I hadn't thought about the municipal park angle. And it looks like we've got loads of biking options.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

crosscheck
Explorer
Explorer
Nelson has good MTB. Check with the local bike shop. Camp at Kokanee creek PP, drop off the trailer, drive up to Kokanee glacier PP for good hiking.

Another option from what SideHill has suggested is to drive to New Denver from Nelson, camp at the municipal CG and drive to the hiking areas in the Valhalla PP. Do a search for hiking trails on the BCParks website.

Drive to the Arrow Lakes(too bad you don,t have your canoe) and cross at Fauquier. Continue onto Vernon where there are a number of PP CG locally.

MTB Kalamalka Lake PP and Ellison PP. Good flowy biking. This area can get busy and hot during the summer but there are plenty of lakes to cool off.

Drive to Kelowna. Get a trail map for Smith Creek trails for MTB in the West Kelowna area. Lots of trails.

Lots of camping in the area but can be busy in summer.

Drive to Penticton and get directions to 3 Blind Mice MTB area.

After you are totally thrashed from riding, hopefully not too much blood is spilt, drive to Princeton and then to the EC Manning PP for some great hiking. There are camping areas around at various PP. From Here, Vancouver is only a 3 hour drive.

Have a nice summer.

Dave.
2016 F350 Diesel 4X4 CC SRW SB,
2016 Creekside 23RKS, 490W solar, 2000W Xantrex Freedom 2012 inverter, 4 6V GC-2 (450AH)
2006 F350 CC 4X4 sold
2011 Outfitter 9.5' sold
Some Of Our Fun:http://daveincoldstream.blogspot.ca/

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Ken
I live in the West Kootenays
Once you leave the East Kootenays there is a lot to choose from.
Small provincial campgrounds up the west are of Kootenay lake around Kaslo are beUtiful some you can reserve some are first come first serve so pick your sites carefully and if possible pay the extra and reserve when you can as the campgrounds around the lakes in the west Kootenays are usually full for sure on long weekends and more than likely on most weekend during the summer months. In saying that here are some great choices.
For a beautiful, mountain ride along the old rail bed between Castlegar and Christina lake. The issue is it is up hill to approx mid point so what most people on the Christina lake side is get the outfit that does bike rentals on that side of the mountain do is they take you in a buss to the summit and you ride back to the Lake. The Castlegar side where you ride high above the lake, I don't know of a company that do the same thing on this side. Campgrounds at Christina lake are full so you have to reserve. Syringa Creek is on the Arrow Lakes and you can get a site, but very iffy with out a res. New Denver up the Slocan valley has a small community campground on Slocan lake beautiful spot. Summit Lake provincial campground just 15 km south of Nakusp can ride the rail bed down into Nakusp. I have my unit parked at three island resort so I could pick you up in town if you need a ride back up the mountains. MacDonald Creek provincial campground on the arrow lakes in beautiful, this spot is south of Nakusp 10 km. Another 40 km south of that campground is Burton and they have a beautiful community campground right on the arrow lakes as well.
Send me a message and I can fill you in a more details and more campgrounds if you like there are lots to choose from and not enough room on this page.
Soup.
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

Powder_pig
Explorer
Explorer
4runnwer guy;

I live in the East Kootenay and think you could spend weeks in our area hiking/biking. I suggest you go West to Golden and spend a couple of days there (go to the local bike/sporting goods shop for suggestions) and stay in their municipal campground for flush toilets. Then head south to Radium. Stay in the Redstreak campground and count on a week or so of activities including a drive into the Bugaboo area (you will pass the sign coming south from Golden). I don't know what you can bike up there but you can certainly do some nice hikes including that to the Conrad Kain climber's hut or the one from near the lodge to the ridge on the way to Cobalt lake. Lake of the Hanging Glaciers hike west of Radium on the Horsethief creek road is another must do for you. Bike the road section then hike the trail from there. By driving into Kootenay National Park you can access some wonderful hikes like Floe lake, and the Stanley Glacier trails. Now head south to the Whiteswan lake provincial park and hike/bike the Top of the World provincial park. The Alpine lookout trail offers outstanding views there though I wouldn't bike it. Now head to Kimberley (Riverside campground) and consult the Janice Strong hiking guide book for a huge variety of hikes. Go to Kootenay Mountain works in Kimberley for biking advice. Many, many hikes here. Send me a message (I sometimes forget to check this so be patient) for personal advice on hiking around Kimberley.

There you go. Your holiday is ready for you! The West Kootenays (Revelostoke south to Nakusp, New Denver, Kaslo, and Nelson) offers outstanding camping, hiking, and biking as well but I don't know the trails as well over there so leave that to others.

GaryKH
Explorer
Explorer
Going down, through Cranbrook & then over to Castlegar is very nice! Make sure you do a slight detour & go up to Ainsworth Hotsprings (on Kootenay Lake). You won't regret it.