Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Motohome route PA to CT

iggyAZ
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,
I'm planning a trip this summer from Arizona to Bangor Maine and the Maritime area.
I have never driven my motorhome and toad in this area and wanted to know where and what restrictions I may have.

My questions are...
1. What is the best motorhome route across the Tappan Zee Bridge to Watertown CT

2. Is the Tappan Zee Bridge OK for motorhomes?

3. Is their a better route?

4. Any weird restrictions I need to know about in PA, NJ, NY and CT?

Thank you in advance.

John
Arizona
2012 Forest River Georgetown XL 378TS
9 REPLIES 9

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
If you have never driven in the Northeast, you are in for a surprise.
Congestion like you've not seen.

Do you need to get to watertown or did you just pick it arbitrarily? If you don't, read below.

I would suggest I84 and get off in Newburgh, pop onto the NYS thruway and get off at I90 going east to Mass Pike, 495 around BOSTON to 95 in maine.

We left Hudson valley area in NY (near Kingston) at 7:30 in the morning (stopped at chipotle along the way for lunch) and arrived in Bangor around 6:30 pm (with stops for cheapest gas along the way). It was a smooth ride the whole way and we didn't hit any nasty rush hour stuff at all. I hate traffic!

Fuel up at the corner of NJ off route 84. Gasbuddy.com check the heat map. Gas is pricey in NY!!!! Parts of MASS are cheap on gas and so is NH. Ge propane before you go over to NS as it can be hard to find (as per someone who lives there but he had an onboard tank, not refillable).

ct1964ups
Explorer
Explorer
iggyAZ wrote:
Hi All,
I'm planning a trip this summer from Arizona to Bangor Maine and the Maritime area.
I have never driven my motorhome and toad in this area and wanted to know where and what restrictions I may have.
My questions are...
1. What is the best motorhome route across the Tappan Zee Bridge to Watertown CT
2. Is the Tappan Zee Bridge OK for motorhomes?
3. Is their a better route?
4. Any weird restrictions I need to know about in PA, NJ, NY and CT?
Thank you in advance.
John
Arizona

To answers your questions..2) you can go over the tappen zee..but you don't have to or want to....1) to go to Watertown,Ct..you want to be on I-84.....so not knownng where in Pa you are coming from....get on I-84 cross the Hudson @ Newburgh,NY..cheaper and much less traffic,,,stay on 84 all the way to Ct rt 8....15min to Watertown
3)...stay on interstates you are ok...no Parkways in Ct...no Freeways in NY...
any other questions fire way...Chuck
2017 Newmar Mountain Aire Seville on a Freightliner/2015 Granite Grand Cherokee Limited
2012 American Tradition Merlot>>SOLD
Keep The Rubber On The Road
GO NOLES

jchonroad
Explorer
Explorer
We travel with MH & toad from Maine to Lancaster County, PA several times a year. Plan on crossing the Hudson at Newburgh, on I-84. Less traffic and the toll is cheaper than anything that I ever paid on the Tappan Zee. The other major thing you need to know is that the price of gas/diesel in NY and CT is the highest in the northeast. Fuel up in NJ, and you should be able to make it to NH/southern Maine. Once you're on I-84, stay on it to the Mass Turnpike in Sturbridge. Go east one exit, and take I-290 to I-495 to I-95. Traffic in Hartford, CT. can be slow going during rush hour, but is easily doable.
Hope this helps. Enjoy your trip.
John '46
Joyce '46 (DW)
GOOD SAM LIFE MEMBERS
Heidie '00 (#1 Guard Dog, 11 lbs), Reggie '09 (#2 Guard Dog, 14 lbs) & Lady '12 (#3 Guard dog, 13 Lbs.)
'05 Winnebago Voyage 35A, Workhorse W22
'12 Malibu Toad w/Sterling Aluminum Tow Bar & Brake Buddy

slay
Explorer II
Explorer II
Unless you have a reason to travel through New Jersey or lower New York state, I would suggest taking I-84 and crossing the Hudson River at Newburgh. Nothing wrong with the Tappen Zee Bridge but the traffic will be heavier getting through the White Plains, N.Y. area and into Connecticut. More hills on I-84 but far less traffic.
Steve and Vivian
2013 Winnebago Vista 35F
2016 Ford Fiesta pushing from behind
Coffee is the sustenance of life

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
John,

The Tappen Zee is just fine, but consider your approach roads. Someone mentioned I-90. That is a toll road and unless you get the special dispensation form NYThruway, the tolls will cost more than you spend on fuel. If you get their approval, the tolls will be a little bit cheaper than the fuel. Go some other way.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
We always take I80 to I81 to I84 when visiting the inlaws in CT. Much easier drive (way less traffic) although parts of I84 are not in the best of shape. We are also hitting Maine on our trip this summer. Will be at the KOA Bar Harbor Oceanside on July 21st for 6 nights. Also spending a few weeks in NH/VT/ and upper NY.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

MickeyBrennan
Explorer
Explorer
Why not consider taking I-90 across northern NY state and missing the NY City metro area all together? ๐Ÿ™‚

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think there are any restrictions. In fact, the tapanzee bridge website lists pricing for motor homes. We went over it with a TT a couple of years ago with no problem. What part of NJ are you going through?

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
can't help with Tappan Zee Bridge because we didn't take our RV there. We stayed in Newburgh NY at the KOA and took the train and their tour bus into the city.
Before we left FL, we obtained 2 Illinois IPASS toll transponders. We shielded one in the toad and mounted the other in the RV. Worked like a charm all over the northeast! When we went in the toad, we unshielded the transponder there.
http://www.nysegov.com/citguide.cfm?superCat=219&cat=23&content=main
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi