cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Colorado Springs RV Parks and Hy 160 from Alamosa to Durango

Whaler
Explorer
Explorer
Planning a Sept trip on Hwy 50 to attend a reunion. Have looked online for RV Parks but would like personal recommendations for Colorado Springs area. Have checked sites about travels on Hwy 50 which is close by and found some good info. We plan to spend additional time in Utah and New Mexico after the reunion. Would like to know about the passes on Hwy 160, grades and elevations. Have done lots of passes and would prefer not to do any I can avoid.
7 REPLIES 7

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
If you have time I would recommend the Cumbres & Toltec Steam Railway. Great scenic trip.
If you should do it, I recommend taking the train from Antonito to Chama and the bus back. Or take the bus from Chama to Antonito and the train back. The route from Antonito starts in the semi arid valley, climbs into the mountains, over passes, than down into the mountain town of Chama. Quite a dramatic change in scenery as you go along. I think it would be a little anticlimatic the other direction.

Whaler
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the information. Other than Colorado Springs, we have no specific time frame nor place to be or route to take. Plan to take our time and take in the sights. That is the reason for taking Hyw 50 west from Indiana even if it doesn't actually go directly to Colorado Springs.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
From Colorado Springs area, to avoid passes I would take US 50 west from Pueblo to Poncha Springs, south on US 285 to US 160. You do go over Poncha Pass but it is nothing to worry about. And it misses La Veta Pass. La Veta Pass is not bad, but going west bound the climb is a little longer and harder than east bound.
Going west on 160 you would cross Wolf Creek Pass. As mentioned above going west bound is the easier direction. The climb up the east side is not bad. The descent down the west side is steep and long. But the highway is very good 2 lanes each way all the way down so you can go as slow as you want.
If you would really rather avoid it altogether, you can take CO 17 where it splits off from US 285 and go straight down to Alamosa. From Alamosa pick up US 285 again and continue south to US 64, take it west all the way up to Pagosa Springs. That bypasses Wolf Creek Pass altogether. Adds around 80 miles or so, but may be worth it to you.
I would add that US 160 is a virtual RV pipeline during the summer months with RVs of all shapes and sizes constantly going both directions. Generally no problem unless you are at your weight/power limits.

padredw
Nomad
Nomad

It all depends on where you want to go from Colorado Springs. If west on US 50 there is Salida/Buena Vista

Quoting myself here. Just want to agree with 4runner above about CO 115 from Colorado Springs. Certainly no reason to go down to Pueblo, especially if you are so fortunate as to stay in Cheyenne Mountain. You would pick up US 50 near Canyon City.

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
I can't tell exactly what route you are taking??? US 50 goes through Pueblo, not Colorado Springs, so when you say you are planning a trip on US 50, I don't know which direction you are going. US 24 goes through Colorado Springs.

As noted, by heading west on US 160 over Wolf Creek Pass, you'll be climbing the easier side of the pass. Do watch your speed on the descent on the west side.

If Durango is your destination, US 160 is the most direct route. You can find lower passes (and a lot more mileage) heading south into NM and entering Durango from the south. If your ultimate destination is Utah, the easiest route from Colorado Springs might be CO 115 south to US 50 west to US 285. If you're really wanting to avoid high passes like Monarch, head south over easy Poncha Pass to CO 114 which goes over North Pass and back to US 50 west (an extra 50 miles though!). We just stay on US 50 all the way to Grand Junction and hook up with I-70 there. Once you've explored Utah, you can return via Durango by way of US 491 or US 160, depending on where you are in Colorado. After your time in the Durango area, then head south on US 550 into NM and plan your route home based on what you want to see there.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
First choice for Colorado Springs: Cheyenne Mountain State Park. BUT . . . it may be hard to get reservations. It certainly is worth a try. I always use the Colorado State Park Web site.

As for US 160: LaVeta is one of the easier passes in Colorado. I never even think about it. Wolf Creek, (past South Fork) is considered a major pass. I have towed fifth-wheels over it several times and would not even hesitate, but it is a major pass.

It all depends on where you want to go from Colorado Springs. If west on US 50 there is Salida/Buena Vista, then Monarch Pass (which I find just a bit easier than Wolf Creek--but then I've towed over Monarch many more times) and the Gunnison Area.

If on 160 South Fork and Creede, then over Wolf Creek to Pagosa Springs and then the Durango area, then Mesa Verde and on to Utah.

IDman
Explorer
Explorer
1) Cheyenne Mountain State Park is the only place in Co.Springs that I would stay. It is only 3 years old, FHU, clean, wildlife, and views. 2) Hiway 50 is excellent hwy but you would have Monarch Pass west of Salida. 3) Hiway 160 is excellent also but from Alamosa to Durango you will descend west side of Wolf Creek Pass. Don't be afraid of mtn passes, as that is where the best scenery usually is!