cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Houston, TX Best way through(west to east)

seadogjim
Explorer
Explorer
Will be going thru Houston on a Tuesday, about noon in a Class A motorhome, towing a car. Was told to take I-610-South, but 610-North looks to be shorter. Or, is staying all the way on I-10 just as good?
Appreciate any advice on best route, which lane to stay in, "tricky" areas of highway to look for, etc.

Thanks,
Jim
seadog
14 REPLIES 14

Kemahsabe
Explorer
Explorer
seadogjim wrote:
Thanks to all who've replied and offered much good advice. Only drove thru Houston once on I-10 and recall there were a couple of spots where it seemed easy to make a wrong turn because of not being in the correct lane. We usually try to drive in the right-hand lane, or the second lane in from the right, in any of the big cities that have heavy traffic congestion.
Is this a good strategy when traversing Houston?

Thanks,
Jim

Generally speaking the second lane is a good strategy. Starting in west Houston, at Beltway 8 there are exit-only lanes on the right. You may have to move left one lane. Watch the signs.

Again at I-610 there are exit-only lanes on the right. Watch the signs. After I-610 move back to the second-from-the-right lane.

At I-45 the left lane is exit-only going north on I-45 and the second to the left lane is exit-only going south on I-45. You should sail thru with no lane changes.

I rarely drive I-10 East, so I don't know the lanes as well. You'll go past US-59, I-610 and Beltway 8.

These are well marked with overhead signs well in advance of the interchange, as well as signs painted on each lane. You'll have no problem going thru at noon (barring accidents).

Have a good trip.

Kemahsabe
Explorer
Explorer
artguys wrote:
At the I-45 split/interchange you'll need to be in the left 2 lanes.

That's not going to work. The OP is going east all the way thru on I-10. The left lane is exit only going north on I-45 and the second to the left is exit only going south on I-45. This is well marked with overhead signs two miles prior to the interchange.

artguys
Explorer
Explorer
At the I-45 split/interchange you'll need to be in the left 2 lanes.

seadogjim
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all who've replied and offered much good advice. Only drove thru Houston once on I-10 and recall there were a couple of spots where it seemed easy to make a wrong turn because of not being in the correct lane. We usually try to drive in the right-hand lane, or the second lane in from the right, in any of the big cities that have heavy traffic congestion.
Is this a good strategy when traversing Houston?

Thanks,
Jim
seadog

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
When I moved to the east coast I took I-10 all the way across them I 95 straight up. I wish I could have had more time to see things, but I was on a tight schedule. I would tell you to avoid 95 north and bypass NY, and NJ all together. And if memory serves me..... I think Maryland had at least a tollbooth every mile! Thats something to think about when pulling a vehicle, alot of states if not all of them, charge per axle... And the motorhome costs more than a regular car too......
Proud father of a US Marine

southerngirl76
Explorer
Explorer
I-10

but dont get anywhere near Houston before 10AM or after 3PM......nightmare no matter which road you travel.

prichardson
Explorer
Explorer
Stay on I-10 and avoid the "rush hours". The loops are longer and can be more congested.

docj
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Texas Ez-tag and usually pay to go around Houston on the Sam Houston tollway. Sure, it's a cop-out, but IMHO the $25 is well worth it in stress reduction.
Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Kemahsabe
Explorer
Explorer
Ditto the previous advice to take I-10 between 9am and 2pm. Pay attention to the lane markers both overhead and painted on the lane to make sure you don't have to make a sudden lane change.

I highly recommend you check Houston Transtar for current traffic conditions. You can put their app on your phone for a last minute check. I don't go anywhere without checking it. You may want to watch it several days in advance to see when the rush hour subsides.

RVhiker
Explorer
Explorer
My favorite route through Houston is to avoid it all together by finding some alternative route (the same applies to Dallas); would this be a possibility for you? If not, I'd agree with the others that I-10 is the best route. Try to avoid AM and PM rush hour.
There's lots of advice and information in forums...
sometimes it is correct.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2008 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab; Duramax/Allison; Pullrite 14k Superglide Hitch

bobcouch
Explorer
Explorer
Your best bet is definitely to stay on I-10 straight through.
Coming toward Houston from the west, the left hand lane in some places is (or feeds into) an EZtag lane, so you would probably want to be at least one lane to the right of that. Once inside the beltway, the left or next-to-left lane is probably best.
Bob and Honey Couch
2008 Keystone Everest
2007 Dodge MegaCab w/ 5.9 Cummins
http://boggythicket.blogspot.com/

srx-6
Explorer
Explorer
Straight through on 10
JB & MB
2009 Monaco Camelot 42PDQ
2008 Jeep Wrangler

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've always gone straight through on I-10. The 610 Loop can get really blocked up at the major Interchanges.

I go through either between 10 AM and Noon, or after 8 PM.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

artguys
Explorer
Explorer
Mid-day I-10