cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seattle area to Casa Grande I-5 or 93?

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Trying to do some route planning using the Good Sam planner and the route it serves up from Black Diamond, Wa. to Casa Grande Az., takes me over into Idaho and then down 93 through Nevada. I would have expected it to take me down I-5 through Oregon and California.
I-5 is of course a major freeway but I am unsure about 93. Can anyone tell me what 93 is like driving through Nevada? I will be heading that way in a couple weeks.
Thanks
22 REPLIES 22

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
I have run both routes many times in a 40' Eagle Bus and a pickup/5'er.

If weather permits and you are mindful of services then I would recommend the Hwy-93 route. The quiet easy travel on the remote roads of Hwy-93 are much easier travel for me than dealing with the I-5 traffic & drivers.

However.... In the winter months you will find me on I-5. You are much more likely to see bad roads on Hwy-93 in the winter and, if you have trouble, help is not nearly as available.

Safe Travels.

S.
2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's
2002 Forest River 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico veteran & headed back)
2002 "faux" Wanderlodge 40' My new toy....

missourijan
Explorer
Explorer
There actually is a small truck stop on 318 just as you turn off 93. We went that way last year. 318 is no more remote than 93, just make sure you fill up when you can. There are fuel stations in Twin Falls, Jackpot, Wells, Ely and on 318. Just 2 lane highways but in good shape. I would avoid I 5 like the plague.

bigmurf
Explorer
Explorer
Fuel in Jackpot and Wells
Fulltimers
2004 Montana 3655FL, Trailair pinbox and Center Pivot air ride, Disc Brakes
2004.5 Dodge 3500 Dually, 6spd, Edge Juice, RS9000, Pressure Pro System, AFE, Jake Brake, Balance Masters, Mag-Hytec, Oil Guard bypass filter.

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
rjdlooking wrote:
Have done both ways. The last time I forgot to fill u in twin falls dumb move no fuel till u get to Ely. Poor truck was on fumes so it wouldn't hurt to carry a extra 5 gal. I did like 93 the best but I5 has more fuel stops.
You must have been asleep when you went through Jackpot, Wells and a couple more smaller towns. They all have fuel, especially Wells, which has 3 MAJOR truck stops on US-93.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

rjdlooking
Explorer
Explorer
Have done both ways. The last time I forgot to fill u in twin falls dumb move no fuel till u get to Ely. Poor truck was on fumes so it wouldn't hurt to carry a extra 5 gal. I did like 93 the best but I5 has more fuel stops.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Not left field at all.
We are actually talking about doing just that.

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
Here comes left field.
Add 200 miles to the trip and take the 101 to I 10. It is still hot in the desert 105 in Phoenix tomorrow. Take a leisurely trip down the coast where it is cooler and IMHO a whole lot better scenery. We do not push it going to or coming from Washington we take eight days with the longest day being 307 miles. In eight days we hopefully will cool off to the 90s.
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

brooks379
Explorer
Explorer
No I'm not but I am implying there are millions more CRAZY drivers in the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia.

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
brooks379 wrote:
... better than the high speed, crazy drivers on I 5 especially in crazy Kalifornia,....

Are you implying there isn't crazy driving on the empty roads of Cansas? 🙂

brooks379
Explorer
Explorer
93 for me... I like the empty road even though it is mostly 2 lane, but a nice 2 lane... better than the high speed, crazy drivers on I 5 especially in crazy Kalifornia, although there is some extremely fast driving on 93 just not as crowed.

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
US-93 and NV-318 will have lots of traffic southbound this time of year and northbound in the spring. It is a preferred route to and from the PNW and Phoenix/Yuma. We leave Cascade in the morning, overnight in Ely NV and are at our place in Wellton, east of Yuma by mid afternoon the next day. These are easy days, not a marathon drive. We plan it so we hit Las Vegas around 11am and the traffic is a breeze. there is a nice stop for food and fuel on 318 in Alamo, at the Sinclair station.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
Depends.

I've driven Eastern WA to Mesa many times in two days, both via US93 and US89/Page. But not in an RV. With a home at the other end of the trip you can finish up late in the evening of Day 2.

But now at a "riper" age, in less of a contest with the road, it is for me a 3 day trip, Day 3 being nice and short. What's the rush?

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I figured it would be more like 4 or 5 days for me.

dtappy3353
Explorer
Explorer
Folks:

WA to Casa Grande is more than a 2 day trip.

Someone must be using "propjet" fuel and a heavy foot.

Tried to do 3 days and that left us exhausted when we got there.

Good Luck!