cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Shaw Satellite Coverage Changes

islandvagabonds
Explorer
Explorer
hello all, Shaw Direct has launched their new G1 satellite that is supposely to provide more HD capability. It is focused on Canada only with very little coverage into the Nortern States. Shaw still has two other satellites in play. Has anyone in Mex been affected in terms of lost channels etc?
25 REPLIES 25

crandle
Explorer
Explorer
switzerland wrote:
We were just told a few minutes ago, that we would no longer have services from Shaw in the US/Mexico!

And what do they mean by "services"? Support or signal?

Gadget_Guy1
Explorer
Explorer
switzerland wrote:
We were just told a few minutes ago, that we would no longer have services from Shaw in the US/Mexico!

Who told you? Lots of rumours and not all Shaw people know what is going on. If you talk to a Shaw person get their name and ID number for reference.

switzerland
Explorer
Explorer
2006 KZ Escalade 36'
2003 Jeep Rubicon (Wrangler)
Romeo, our big white dog (Italian Maremma)

Bounder_Lew
Explorer
Explorer
Yes good news from Maz forum thanks for sharing. but\ I dont know how they can determine who is an existing customer as they cant tell who is receiving their signal unless you tell them. And about making changes, does it mean that existing customers in Canada cannot make changes? However obviously they realize they have a lot of revenue to lose if they change the old satellite footprint.
An ex Class A with towed. Now Bungalow in Melaque.

Gadget_Guy1
Explorer
Explorer
That is good news, status quo for me is good and that basically has been what has been told to me by Shaw reps all along as well as by email. Now we just have to hope that they will continue to use people in Canada for there phone service. It is always great to talk to someone from Canada that actually know something than someone from India that are clueless.

fugawibill
Explorer
Explorer
Posting from Mazatlan forum:

"Hi Everyone....I just got off the phone with a Shaw Direct employee (named Janice, with ID # 2044)....She told Me that, thanks to the hundreds of emails they received. (including five from Me), they were able to get permission from the Regulators that :

1. Everyone who ALREADY has service in Mexico (& the USA) will be allowed to keep their EXISTING service.

2. No changes will be allowed...You will NOT be allowed to change/add channels, or switch HD in any way....no Films, NO NOTHING !

Evidently they received over 500 complaints, from Mexico & the USA, & thanks to the
Nasty Nature of the complaints, they did do some good !!"

almcc
Explorer
Explorer
One other detail that may help to confirm that Shaw will be holding on to the two sats for a while that cover the US and farther south is that the older Shaw receivers are not able to be configured to get the new satellite, I'm sure Shaw's older customers would be upset if they have to upgrade to the 600 series receivers.

daveB110
Explorer
Explorer
We've so far enjoyed the Shaw Direct satellite experience and coverage. Yes we'd heard rumours about Bell's Expressview service and of course went with Shaw in case we'd return to Mexico. One year our box stopped working in Arizona, and the Shaw people directed us to a used one in Yuma and offered to pay a refund for that one once it was returned to Shaw.

In Mexico we've run an entire gamut over a decade, first trying to keep up with news on short wave radio, then with Sirius Satellite radio, and last winter with Shaw Direct. Now its like we've never left home, with local tv coming in from our home area. But we tend to dislike the morning city traffic reports, except when there is a surprise snowfall.

Gadget_Guy1
Explorer
Explorer
Macktee wrote:
Kind of ironic isn't it. When Bell started all the ramblings about changing thebfoot print a lot of the shaw direct people were saying how bad bell was for doing that and tha shaw would never do it. Well a lot of us have seiches to shaw and it looks like the same thing all over again. JMHO Macktee

Only if HD is important to you, for us it is not, the regular signal off the old satellites will be just fine.

Macktee
Explorer
Explorer
Kind of ironic isn't it. When Bell started all the ramblings about changing thebfoot print a lot of the shaw direct people were saying how bad bell was for doing that and tha shaw would never do it. Well a lot of us have seiches to shaw and it looks like the same thing all over again. JMHO Macktee
04 Monaco Dynasty Diamond 1V ( Homer II)
2012 Ram 1500 4X4 Quad Cab towed
2013 Cargo Mate 28ft enclosed car hauler
2013 Hyundai Elantra GT
2010 Club Car Golf Car

Gadget_Guy1
Explorer
Explorer
robatthelake wrote:
As long as You have an Internet connection You can reach Shaw Direct and Troubleshoot most problems.You can also do a Signal Refresh , and if necessary learn how to do a factory reset!

It is seldom really necessary to speak to a real person!

If the Box is actually broken then yes You are screwed!

As a post script to Crandle ....If You use Skype. .....the Number is really screwed Up!

You are correct and for years I always carried an extra receiver with me and never needed it except this last winter I forgot to take an extra one with me and yes this last winter I had a receiver go bad on me and after a lot of tech support that would not work for long we just finally gave up and used only one receiver. Even after most of the winter DW still did not enjoy watching hockey near as much as I do. This year I will have an extra one with me again. It will save a lot of discussion on what we will watch.

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer
As long as You have an Internet connection You can reach Shaw Direct and Troubleshoot most problems.You can also do a Signal Refresh , and if necessary learn how to do a factory reset!

It is seldom really necessary to speak to a real person!

If the Box is actually broken then yes You are screwed!

As a post script to Crandle ....If You use Skype. .....the Number is really screwed Up!
Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

Gadget_Guy1
Explorer
Explorer
crandle wrote:
Nothing should change for us who use our receivers in the USA or Mexico. They currently do not have the technology to "see" where we are so the only way they can find out is if we tell them. We could do this by a) calling for support from out of the country or b) ordering pay per view from outside the country. In either of these cases, they can see the number we are calling from.

I guess I will be in trouble although I never order pay per view but I do call for support on my US Verizon phone with my North American plan because I will NOT under any circumstances ever get another cell phone from the Canadian Cell Crooks/companies. I use this phone at our house in Calgary as well as anytime I travel. Till now it has never been a problem, so I hope it will not be in the future.

crandle
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing should change for us who use our receivers in the USA or Mexico. They currently do not have the technology to "see" where we are so the only way they can find out is if we tell them. We could do this by a) calling for support from out of the country or b) ordering pay per view from outside the country. In either of these cases, they can see the number we are calling from.