cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Shore Fishing

DeanRIowa
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone done any shore fishing while in Mexico?

If so, any rod/reel, lures, bait or other suggestions?

Will be in the Manzanillo area this summer, not camping though. ๐Ÿ˜ž

thanks,
Dean
2015 Summerland 2820 BHGS
2016 Silverado
DW Esmeralda, DS Mathew, DD Natalie
5 REPLIES 5

DeanRIowa
Explorer
Explorer
clarkster wrote:
Seven foot, one piece spinning rod (or casting rod if you're savvy to using a casting reel) Line rated for 12# to 20# is ok.
Reel loaded with the same.

No wire leader. Tie the lure straight to the monofilament line.
Use the split ring or welded ring on the lure for line attachment.
Do not use any other swivel or snap.

Squid strips 1/2" wide by 1" 2" or 3" long is good.
Shrimp tails shelled is fine but it will cost you, whereas squid is cheap.
No 3 way swivel. Use a 1/2 oz to 3/4" oz egg sinker. Run the line through the sinker and tie on a swivel of appropriate size.....to this tie on a leader of about 18" 24" and a hook on the end of that.
Use size 1 or 1/0 single hook.

Wade out into the surf to knee high.....toss the lure as far as you can. Let sink for a count of 3 and then a slow retrieve so the lure wobbles rather than spins.
For bait, same thing except let sink to the bottom, reel in the slack, raise rod tip slightly so you're dragging and hopping the bait along the bottom with small twitches of the rod tip....stop.....let it set a couple of seconds.....repeat all the way back in.
Game fish like the bait to move rather than soak on the bottom.

A biter will often feel like a tap tap on the rod tip....set the hook when you feel that.

Look for sandy areas that are near some rocks....much better chances there than pure flat sandy bottom.
All fish like some sort of structure to hide around.....find that structure and you will find the fish.
This could be quick drop off, a trench, a raised sand bar that drops into deeper water, weeds, rocks and kelp or seaweed.
Look for an area that the receding water makes rips or fast flow back into the open water.....fish along those edges.

Sorry I don't know the specific fish species for Manzanillo.
Best to ask a local you happen to come across.

Good luck to you..no better way to relax and lull away a morning.

Thank you very much for your detailed descriptions. I sure it will be very helpfully.

thanks,
Dean
2016 Silverado

clarkster
Explorer
Explorer
Seven foot, one piece spinning rod (or casting rod if you're savvy to using a casting reel) Line rated for 12# to 20# is ok.
Reel loaded with the same.

No wire leader. Tie the lure straight to the monofilament line.
Use the split ring or welded ring on the lure for line attachment.
Do not use any other swivel or snap.

Squid strips 1/2" wide by 1" 2" or 3" long is good.
Shrimp tails shelled is fine but it will cost you, whereas squid is cheap.
No 3 way swivel. Use a 1/2 oz to 3/4" oz egg sinker. Run the line through the sinker and tie on a swivel of appropriate size.....to this tie on a leader of about 18" 24" and a hook on the end of that.
Use size 1 or 1/0 single hook.

Wade out into the surf to knee high.....toss the lure as far as you can. Let sink for a count of 3 and then a slow retrieve so the lure wobbles rather than spins.
For bait, same thing except let sink to the bottom, reel in the slack, raise rod tip slightly so you're dragging and hopping the bait along the bottom with small twitches of the rod tip....stop.....let it set a couple of seconds.....repeat all the way back in.
Game fish like the bait to move rather than soak on the bottom.

A biter will often feel like a tap tap on the rod tip....set the hook when you feel that.

Look for sandy areas that are near some rocks....much better chances there than pure flat sandy bottom.
All fish like some sort of structure to hide around.....find that structure and you will find the fish.
This could be quick drop off, a trench, a raised sand bar that drops into deeper water, weeds, rocks and kelp or seaweed.
Look for an area that the receding water makes rips or fast flow back into the open water.....fish along those edges.

Sorry I don't know the specific fish species for Manzanillo.
Best to ask a local you happen to come across.

Good luck to you..no better way to relax and lull away a morning.
2006 Dodge 2500 4x4 Laramie crew CTD
2017 Jayco Flight SLX Baja package

DeanRIowa
Explorer
Explorer
clarkster wrote:
1.5 oz Krocodile in chrome/prism tape.
It's all you need.
7' spinning rod w/reel spooled with 12#/15# test line.
Cast as far as you can, let flutter down for a 3 count, retrieve slowly so the lure wobbles and does not spin.

I have only been shore fishing a couple of times with people, who didn't catch much. I got a couple of question:
  • What would be the setup for using that lure?
  • Do I need a metal leader?
  • Should I do a threeway with some weight?
  • If I decide to use bait, any recommendations, such as shrimp, cut bait,..?
  • In the Manzanillo surf what would be some fish I might have a chance of catching?

Thanks,

Dean
2016 Silverado

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just got back from PV yesterday. Saw several locals fishing from the beach with spinning set-ups on long poles and catching a few fish. The surf was running high. I can't tell you what they they were using for bait or lures.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

clarkster
Explorer
Explorer
1.5 oz Krocodile in chrome/prism tape.
It's all you need.
7' spinning rod w/reel spooled with 12#/15# test line.
Cast as far as you can, let flutter down for a 3 count, retrieve slowly so the lure wobbles and does not spin.
2006 Dodge 2500 4x4 Laramie crew CTD
2017 Jayco Flight SLX Baja package