cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Southern California to Iowa July 1st. 2019

emzee
Explorer
Explorer
Hi there! Our daughter has moved to Iowa and is having a baby the beginning of July. We would like to take the motorhome so we have the comforts of home. When we went in October of last year it was pretty windy in places. I wondered if anyone had any ideas on weather/wind conditions in June/July and what route you felt was a good one. Thanks so much!!!
8 REPLIES 8

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
Not always, but generally, you can expect a tailwind when eastbound and just the opposite on the return trip. Check the weather daily and watch the wind socks for crosswinds . . . . . especially on elevated roadways and bridges.

Chum lee

emzee
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you so much for you input it's appreciated!!!

NMDriver2
Explorer
Explorer
Check this web site the week before you leave. https://graphical.weather.gov/# They show expected wind for the week ahead and any other weather condition you care about. BTW: I would go up I-15 to I-70 to get some elevation and cooler weather for at least part of your trip.
Turret Class traveler

emzee
Explorer
Explorer
imgoing, thanks, have to agree. we are debating the car, wish I could fly but....hate that, so much quicker. With baby due, can't take time off for wind.

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
I think you need to watch weather reports in real time and allow yourself some extra time. Spring winds in NM and east as in the past several days are terrible. In the time frame you are talking about the winds should not be as bad or as frequent. However I laid up once in Kansas for a day and for three days in Texas because of wind in your travel time frame. Besides with the weather this year not sure the past will be a good indicator for this year.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
RVing shouldn’t bring anxiety. If the wind makes you uncomfortable pull off the road and wait.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

emzee
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you Dick! We aren't too concerned about the heat and humidity more about traveling in heavy winds. My husband isn't as anxious as I am, it does scare me.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Wind should not be a problem but it will be hot depending on where in Iowa. You can go to www.weather.com and get the averages for the town you are heading for plus 10 day forecasts.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)