cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tappan Zee Bridge and 9 west heading south..

nancyjerry
Explorer
Explorer
Leaving Ct on Saturday morning to head to Outer Banks, N.C.
Going around NYC on Saturday we thought of using Tappan Zee Bridge then 9.
Using N.J. turnpike to 195, then 295/40 into Delawre.
Then 95 to Cabelas in Wilmington,Delaware for the night.
Never done this, any help?
18 REPLIES 18

nancyjerry
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you so much. Will re-look at your suggestions! Planning to stop 2 nights. We only drive 4 or so hours a day.

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
Our route to OBX last year was TZ Bridge to 287 to 80 to 81. You could also do 287-78-81.

From 81, we picked up US50 in Winchester VA to US17 to re-connect to I95 in Fredricksburg, I95-I295-I64 to 168 to 158 to 12 from there.

We did stop for the night twice on the way down. I don't know if you're planning on straight thru in one hop.

Tunnels through Norfolk require you to stop and show that your propane is turned off.
X2 the extra fuel more than pays for the tolls
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our route to OBX last year was TZ Bridge to 287 to 80 to 81. You could also do 287-78-81.

From 81, we picked up US50 in Winchester VA to US17 to re-connect to I95 in Fredricksburg, I95-I295-I64 to 168 to 158 to 12 from there.

We did stop for the night twice on the way down. I don't know if you're planning on straight thru in one hop.

Tunnels through Norfolk require you to stop and show that your propane is turned off.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

weathershak
Explorer
Explorer
nancyjerry wrote:
Leaving Ct on Saturday morning to head to Outer Banks, N.C.
Going around NYC on Saturday we thought of using Tappan Zee Bridge then 9.
Using N.J. turnpike to 195, then 295/40 into Delawre.
Then 95 to Cabelas in Wilmington,Delaware for the night.
Never done this, any help?

Personally, I would take the Tappan Zee bridge to Rt 287 South to the Garden State Parkway South, to the NJTP South to Delaware, follow signs to Dover and Rt 1 South, then get onto Rt 13 South which will take you South to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. Follow Rt 13 South to Rt 64 East. Take 64 East to Exit 291B, Rt 168 South to Rt 158 South, which will take you to the OBX.

When you get in Delaware, there are plenty of places to stop for a rest. Lums Pond is a nice CG. You can also stop at the rest area north of Smyrna Rt1
Cabellas is located by a Mall and is a very congested area. It may be a PITA if you want to spend the night there.
Full timing it since July 2012