cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Through or around San Francisco

G7ARYM
Explorer
Explorer
Planning on going south across the Golden Gate late morning Sunday 12/23. My choice is to stay on Hwy 1 or follow 101 through the city until they reach a freeway. Or do I go around the east bay to get south to the 101 to Paso Robles? I am a Super C 36’ long with a car on a tow dolly. Thanks.
17 REPLIES 17

older_fossil
Explorer
Explorer
Our usual route 101 southbound is to take the 37 eastbound around San Pablo Bay to I-80. Then take I-80 south to the I-780. Then I-780 east to the I-680. Take I-680 across the Benicia-Martinez Bridge (free direction) and down past Walnut Creek and Pleasanton to rejoin the 101 in San Jose. Of course, take care to try and avoid rush hours as much as possible.
Art & Barbara
2016 Tiffin AB 37AP
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
DarkSkySeeker,

80 goes to the Bay Bridge and SF and ends in SF where it meets 101, the route you described. 80 does not go to San Jose.

I thinking you meant 880 which does go down the Easy Bay to San Jose.

Well, yes, perhaps I was sloppy with the description. Thanks for pointing that out.

Just past Berkeley, when the Bay Bridge is an option, you can choose to head to San Jose on 880. I think you must be in the 3rd lane from the left.
There is something special about camping in an RV.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
DarkSkySeeker,

80 goes to the Bay Bridge and SF and ends in SF where it meets 101, the route you described. 80 does not go to San Jose.

I thinking you meant 880 which does go down the Easy Bay to San Jose.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:

Interesting route - You would cross back to SF and take 101 down the West Bay side? I would likely take 880 down the East Bay. And with that you travel through Berkley, Emeryville, Oakland and towns to the south and then San Jose.

No, I'd take 80 south all the way to San Jose and then switch to 101 south.

There is a toll on the GG bridge, but not on the route I outlined before.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
DarkSkySeeker wrote:
G7ARYM wrote:
Or do I go around the east bay to get south to the 101 to Paso Robles?

I've lived in that area all my life. I live near Santa Rosa, which sounds like where you may be traveling through on your way.

If I was pulling my 27 foot TT south to Paso Robles, I'd go East Bay for sure.

101 south to 580
580 east to 80
80 south to 101
101 south to PR

Southbound 101 over the Golden Gate Bridge dumps you onto 19th avenue - 3 lanes - very narrow.
Interesting route - You would cross back to SF and take 101 down the West Bay side? I would likely take 880 down the East Bay. And with that you travel through Berkley, Emeryville, Oakland and towns to the south and then San Jose.

Or if bound and determined to head to SF and pay the Bay Bridge toll consider 101, 280, 85, 101.

I've never had a problem on 19th Ave with my 42' MH towing a car, but I'm aware that it's not popular.

The simple truth is that there is no easy/best route through the bay area.

Bob

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
G7ARYM wrote:
Or do I go around the east bay to get south to the 101 to Paso Robles?

I've lived in that area all my life. I live near Santa Rosa, which sounds like where you may be traveling through on your way.

If I was pulling my 27 foot TT south to Paso Robles, I'd go East Bay for sure.

101 south to 580
580 east to 80
80 south to 101
101 south to PR

Southbound 101 over the Golden Gate Bridge dumps you onto 19th avenue - 3 lanes - very narrow.

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
Sad point is the view points were closed to everyone but the sightseeing buses.

That is standard procedure these days on holidays (and even normal summer weekends at times, I think) because the lots are too small and would cause a nightmare traffic situation on the bridge as people block the right lane waiting to enter the lot.

They've done a similar thing at Muir Woods, I don't think you can even drive to the main lot anymore. You have to park remotely and take a shuttle in. Just too many people.
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

G7ARYM
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, the FasTrak transponder works in both north and south toll systems.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Do not take a RV on 101 through SF. Golden Gate, 19th Ave/US1 to 280 is very doable with a RV. South bound the exit (right) to 19th ave is very short. Stay in the center lane on 19th Ave when 3 lanes are available. Avoid rush hour.

North bound no bridge toll. South bound has a toll but no toll collectors and you DO NOT STOP. Pre or post pay. Locals have a FasTrak device. Not sure if S CA devices work.

Since the toll is based on the number of axles suggest you get online a few days later and pay. DO NOT IGNORE the toll as they will bill you and fines start if you don't pay in a few weeks. It's your problem if you're not home to get the bill. Google FasTrak.

For SFO with a car I'd take 280 to 380. But the SF bay tourist area is east of 101.

Bob

G7ARYM
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all. We are staying in Petaluma for a week doing wineries so the run south is just passing through. I will pick up family from SFO a few days prior so will be able to take a good look at the route. It looks like 1 straight through the city should be good. I have done the east bay several times. The roads suck and there are some really strange freeway transitions. Being from SoCal traffic is a given and expected.

brianpearce
Explorer
Explorer
Stay on the 1 to 280S, then take 380 to the 101S or stay on 280S to 85S which runs into the 101S at the South end of the Bay Area past San Jose.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Granddaughter was with us on Memorial Day and she wanted to cross the Golden Gate Bridge. My trailer and truck are about 58' long. We came up from the south on the 1 and made the crossing without incident. The city streets seemed to have very narrow lanes. Being it was a holiday the traffic was a mess, cars and people everywhere. Sad point is the view points were closed to everyone but the sightseeing buses.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
camperdave wrote:
I see people doing 19th ave in large motorhomes (and city busses of course) all the time, but it's not for me! I'd probably come in from the North, find somewhere in Marin to spend the night, and take the toad into the city for the day. Then come back and cross over 580 and go down the East Bay the next day.

If you must just pass though, I'd do 101 over the bridge, then 19th ave (Hwy 1) to 280. Following signs to 101 from the GG bridge would take you downtown in a way you really don't want to be in a motorhome...

Could not agree with you more!! You could also ride the ferry from Marin to Fishermen's Wharf for a great day of sight seeing. Be sure to stop at the famous Buena Vista Irish coffee bar:)

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
rr2254545 wrote:
G7ARYM wrote:
Planning on going south across the Golden Gate late morning Sunday 12/23. My choice is to stay on Hwy 1 or follow 101 through the city until they reach a freeway. Or do I go around the east bay to get south to the 101 to Paso Robles? I am a Super C 36’ long with a car on a tow dolly. Thanks.

I asked the same question and people told me to go through town and across the Golden Gate bridge in my 37 ft MH towing the Jeep
I did it this past April - it was not too bad but note the route takes you on city streets - I stuck to the outside lane and it was a little tight as cars were parked along the road on my right

If there is a next time I might go around and avoid that area

X1, I did the golden gate 101 to 1 ONE time!!! never again. Go south to South to Pass Robles. If you want to visit San Francisco area, I would leave your RV in a RV park in the Paso Robles and just drive back up Hwy 1 to San Francisco and do a hotel/motel for as many days as you need to see all the sights.