cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tire chains in Califdrnia

dennych1
Explorer
Explorer
After 2023 truck camper rally in February I will travel and explore California. I will be towing my Jeep behind my truck camper. Do I need to carry snow chains for truck and Jeep which are 4wd. Are they mandatory in certain area. I could use some info on this.
Thanks
Dennis
21 REPLIES 21

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
dennych1 wrote:
So even though I have 4wd I might need chains

If you are towing, yes. If you can disconnect and drive them separately, then no. But you still legally need to carry the chains with you even though you won't need to install them.

In my experience, the major roads in Ca go from R2 (2wd with chains, or 4WD with snow tires) direct to closed. I don't think I've ever seen an R3 (everything needs chains) situation.

But I'm a very occasional snow goer, I live on the coast.
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
dennych1 wrote:
Yes.
The likely hood depends on where you are going and if the trip can be delayed a few days after a storm.

If you must get to Lake Tahoe while it is snowing there is a great chance chains are required. If near the coast or central valley very unlikely to ever need chains. The interstate passes are usually cleared and melting within a few days.

CA snow is often the heavy wet sloppy stuff that makes any hill difficult. Very different from the crisp dry snow in other areas.

dennych1
Explorer
Explorer

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have heard some flatlanders bought chains before going into area where might be needed, carried for while, than returned to get most of money back (Sounds like a rent thing to me). But all I talked to where running 22.5 or 24.5 wheels, might not be available in your size or area. Might look into it though.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
afaik if towing and chains are required at any level you will be required to chain a drive axle of the pulling vehicle and one axle of the vehicle behind. If you have two drivers it is possible to separate and continue in the 4WD OK conditions.

There will be a sign or check point when required. You can continue past the sign subject to a citation depending on conditions. A check point will not allow you to continue until vehicle equipment is in compliance.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Likely the Jeep will require brakes. Plus chains when required. Perhaps for other states also.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Here is information from Cal Trans
Read through them for yourself. I would say you have to carry them plus install depending on level of requirement.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker