Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Traveling thru Memphis

WRsowbug
Explorer
Explorer
I will be going thru Memphis soon east to west. I usually go
72 to 385 to 55. Lots of traffic and needing re paving.
Could go 72 to 302 to 55. How is traffic on 302?
12 REPLIES 12

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
If Memphis is not the destination, and not a mandatory stop on the trip, I will work pretty hard to avoid it. The problem is not really Memphis, but all that is going on with merged traffic and never finished construction west of Memphis, where I-55 and I-40 run together.

Then, for east-west traffic, there is still the problem of I-40 being rebuilt between Hazen and Brinkley. From Little Rock to Gulf Coast there is the US-65 option, going a short distance east on something (I-20 works, not ideal) to reconnect to I-55 if going to NOLA, or using US-49 from Jackson if going to Biloxi.

Nashville to NOLA there is the I-65/I-20 option, or Natchez Trace Parkway for a leisurely non-commercial drive.

NOLA to St Louis or Chicago, you are sort of stuck. Suck it in, stay on I-55 through W Memphis. All those big trucks get through that bottle neck eventually, it just make me impatient, and a bit nervous when they try squeezing into my lane.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

GraciesDaddy
Explorer
Explorer
This is one of those "You can't get there from here" situations. edm3rd's suggestion of U.S. 65 is a good one. U.S. 65 to Tallulah, across the Mississippi at Vicksburg on I-20; east to Jackson and south on I-55 to The Big Easy.

Of course, a much more scenic and historic route would be to stay on U.S. 65 to Ferriday, LA, cross the river at Natchez and you have a choice to go directly east to I-55 via U.S. 84 & U.S. 98 OR take U.S. 61, a.k.a. "The Great River Road" & "The Blues Highway" all the way into N'Awlinz... or you can bail at I-10 in Baton Rouge. WHO Dat?!

Full Disclosure: This is the perspective of someone who is retired, doesn't punch a timeclock, who travels *with* the dogs & cat (no boarding) and can "plan" to leave the house for a week but can extend it to two weeks -- or THREE! -- without breaking a sweat. Your mileage may vary. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Watch your tail swing... Keep the greasy side down and keep it 'tweeeeeeeeen the ditches, Y'all!

John E. Baker, III & Sally Baker - The Traveling Siblings!
Co-pilots: Llasah Lilly, Brown Daschie Chloe and Tuxedo Foots

jtovosr
Explorer
Explorer
edm3rd,
Good suggestion, I'll start a new thread asking for road conditions on US 65 .
Thanks

edm3rd
Explorer
Explorer
MapQuest says you can save 90 miles by going US-65 out of Little Rock to I-20 east to I-55 south at Jackson MS. (New Orleans 530 miles via Memphis, 440 via US-65).

I will let others comment on road conditions.

jtovosr
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, I meant going East from Little Rock thru Memphis.

jtovosr
Explorer
Explorer
GraciesDaddy,
I'm going west thru Memphis from Little Rock on I-40 then south on I-55 to New Orleans.
Any recommendations on getting thru MEMPHIS ?

GraciesDaddy
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I have 3 minutes before you leave, hope I make it.

*I* would take the 385 to 240 West and stay on it until I-40 west. The I-40 bridge across the River is newer, wider and in much better condition than the I-55 bridge. Plus, you don't have to contend with that awful interchange at I-55 & Crump Blvd. (where trucks catch fire!).

Keep th' greasy side down and keep it tweeeeeen th' ditches, Shugah!
Watch your tail swing... Keep the greasy side down and keep it 'tweeeeeeeeen the ditches, Y'all!

John E. Baker, III & Sally Baker - The Traveling Siblings!
Co-pilots: Llasah Lilly, Brown Daschie Chloe and Tuxedo Foots

WRsowbug
Explorer
Explorer
It will be a Sat morning before noon, going north

WRsowbug
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the rasponse. Will be a Sat. morning, going North

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
I use 302 from US-78 to I-55. Lot of lights on the Southhaven end, a few in the middle and in Olive Branch.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are going South on 55 then think about taking the Natchez trace to Jackson, MS and catching 55 there. Virtually no traffic. Commercial vehicles prohibited. National Park Service route. 2 lane 35-40 MPH
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

linnemj
Explorer
Explorer
Right this moment??
Jim & Nicky
2012 Forest River XLR MBV 29
2010 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
Motorcycles!