Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travelling from Nevada to Alaska in the Middle of Winter

Pipsfc
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all!

New to this forum and quite excited! I did some searching of the internet in hopes of finding the answers I need and did find "some". At this point, I feel I just need to ask the experts.

My family and I will be moving back to Alaska from Nevada in February 2021. We have made the trip from Flordia to Alaska and Alaska to Nevada, but both times in mild conditions and both on the ALCAN. This will be our first time during the winter and with a travel trailer (Jayco Jay Flight 224BHW Baja Edition). We actually don't plan on staying in our trailer on the trip and instead plan on using any hotels/motels along the way. Also, I have never towed anything in the winter. I drive a 2018 3500HD Silverado (Diesel). Based on this information, here's what I need to figure out:

1) What are your recommendations for winterization (both trailer and truck)?

2) I have AT tires on the trailer - do you recommend changing them?

3) Do you recommend chains for the trailer and truck?

4) From those who have travelled the ALCAN with a trailer or RV during the winter months, what can we expect?

5) Anything else you can throw at me would be greatly apprecaited!
147 REPLIES 147

MORSNOW
Navigator
Navigator
Pipsfc wrote:
I'm on Military Orders and should not have issues... barring any COVID symptoms at the border.

They will let you through with Military orders.
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
One other question. The others who have traveled during the Coronacrud up there mentioned that campgrounds and parks were closed to them, with you saying you wont be trying to stay in the camper, ,,, will motels accept travellers from the US?

Pipsfc
Explorer
Explorer
MORSNOW wrote:
Pipsfc wrote:

While we're on that topic, were you forced to quarantine for 14 days or did you just have to be out of the country by the date on the "hang tag"?

We just had to provide the required documentation (no quarantine required) at the border and received what I called our "Scarlet Letter" that was placed on the dash for the entire transit (the reflection in the windshield was a hazard in itself), and were restricted to 5 days to cross. We did it in 3 long days crossing back into the US at 11:00pm and slept in the rest area next to the border. You have to process back out of Canada also which is confusing as the borders are not set up for anyone to stop on the Canadian side to turn in their documentation. The US agents helped us by letting us into the US and then we just walked back into Canada and turned in the paperwork and walked back through the building and into the US again.

Thank you for that! Makes me feel better about the travel with the whole quarantine stuff.

Pipsfc
Explorer
Explorer
jsummers72 wrote:
Better be sure the Canadians will let you thru the border. I have personally talked to 2 families that made it thru and two who were turned away. No reason no recourse. This is a bad time to bet on a friendly border agent.

I'm on Military Orders and should not have issues... barring any COVID symptoms at the border.

Pipsfc
Explorer
Explorer
SideHillSoup wrote:
First thing, you should be contacting Canadian Boarder Service ( CBSA)
***Link Removed***

And find out what you will need to do and or documents required for entering into Canada and for what your required to have with you for your transit through Canada.
Then you need to the correct tires on your truck while in BC.
The Yukon has it;s own requirements for transit you you had better red / call them as well to ensure you understand those requirements

***Link Removed***

***Link Removed***
Your not required to have chains for your truck, and I’ve pulled trailers all over BC in the mountains including 35ft 5th wheels and have never felt the need for them on the Hwy.

Also, your only going to be permitted to cross the land boarder at a few locations so that will be something to bring up with CBSA when you call them.

***Link Removed***

Theses links will give you some idea of what your looking at just for transit through Canada.

Good luck with your planing, and bring extra socks ( grin)
Soup.

Thank you for all this information! It's very helpful. The only issue I have been having is trying to contact CBSA. They don't return my emails and I cannot find a contact number. I think i get what is required for me but I just want make sure.

MORSNOW
Navigator
Navigator
Pipsfc wrote:

While we're on that topic, were you forced to quarantine for 14 days or did you just have to be out of the country by the date on the "hang tag"?

We just had to provide the required documentation (no quarantine required) at the border and received what I called our "Scarlet Letter" that was placed on the dash for the entire transit (the reflection in the windshield was a hazard in itself), and were restricted to 5 days to cross. We did it in 3 long days crossing back into the US at 11:00pm and slept in the rest area next to the border. You have to process back out of Canada also which is confusing as the borders are not set up for anyone to stop on the Canadian side to turn in their documentation. The US agents helped us by letting us into the US and then we just walked back into Canada and turned in the paperwork and walked back through the building and into the US again.
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB

Pipsfc
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:
Towing in the snow is harder than it sounds. You need to go practice first before committing to a trip that long. It might make sense to sell your trailer here.

My are wife and I are talking about selling it after discussing more yesterday.

jsummers72
Explorer
Explorer
Better be sure the Canadians will let you thru the border. I have personally talked to 2 families that made it thru and two who were turned away. No reason no recourse. This is a bad time to bet on a friendly border agent.

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
First thing, you should be contacting Canadian Boarder Service ( CBSA)
CBSA

And find out what you will need to do and or documents required for entering into Canada and for what your required to have with you for your transit through Canada.
Then you need to the correct tires on your truck while in BC.
The Yukon has it;s own requirements for transit you you had better red / call them as well to ensure you understand those requirements

Yukon transit

BC Winter Driving regs
Your not required to have chains for your truck, and I’ve pulled trailers all over BC in the mountains including 35ft 5th wheels and have never felt the need for them on the Hwy.

Also, your only going to be permitted to cross the land boarder at a few locations so that will be something to bring up with CBSA when you call them.

BC Hwy Cams

Theses links will give you some idea of what your looking at just for transit through Canada.

Good luck with your planing, and bring extra socks ( grin)
Soup.
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
“What are your recommendations...”.
“Also, I have never towed anything in the winter.”

Don’t do it even if Canada will let you pass. Yes, I carry cables for the truck and chains for the trailer.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Pipsfc
Explorer
Explorer
MORSNOW wrote:
Back in the winter of '03 I towed a 19' boat up from lower 48 to Eagle River, AK (retirement military move). I had good all-terrain tires and the truck and didn't have any issues other than -50 in the Yukon so plugged my truck in at night at the motels. The short daylight hours shortened up my daily distance versus summer travel. The trip was actually more enjoyable in the winter, less traffic and folks liked to visit at the roadhouses. Never saw a need for chains, roads were plowed and sanded. I did a return to the lower 48 trip this summer, COVID restrictions made it the least fun trip ever! Long travel days, no tourist stops, all provincial campgrounds were closed to Americans, with the only stops being for gasoline. We brought our own food and ate in the camper to have the least exposure with local Canadians. The RCMP will be watching you!

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Towing in the snow is harder than it sounds. You need to go practice first before committing to a trip that long. It might make sense to sell your trailer here.

MORSNOW
Navigator
Navigator
Back in the winter of '03 I towed a 19' boat up from lower 48 to Eagle River, AK (retirement military move). I had good all-terrain tires and the truck and didn't have any issues other than -50 in the Yukon so plugged my truck in at night at the motels. The short daylight hours shortened up my daily distance versus summer travel. The trip was actually more enjoyable in the winter, less traffic and folks liked to visit at the roadhouses. Never saw a need for chains, roads were plowed and sanded. I did a return to the lower 48 trip this summer, COVID restrictions made it the least fun trip ever! Long travel days, no tourist stops, all provincial campgrounds were closed to Americans, with the only stops being for gasoline. We brought our own food and ate in the camper to have the least exposure with local Canadians. The RCMP will be watching you!
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB