cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travelling from Waco Texas to Galveston Island

psurich
Explorer
Explorer
I'm traveling in a truck pulling a 33 ft. 5th wheel. I'm looking for an alternate route without going through Houston. How is Route 6, Grand Parkway, 36, 35, TX 288 and 332 to Surfside Beach? I'm originating in Wichita, KS and also trying to avoid Dallas. Any help appreciated!
5 REPLIES 5

RamTX
Explorer
Explorer
The Grand Parkway has NO toll booths. You will have to have an EZ Pass which is only good in Texas to use it unless you want to receive tolls plus penalties. I advise not trying to use highway 290 inside Grand Parkway since it is under construction. Parts of the highway are down to 2 narrow lanes in one direction with no shoulders. It is pretty scary for me in my truck, but maybe I am just nervous! Hwy 6 in Houston area is a very busy road. From Waco to Hempstead, Highway 6 is great-just take the loop around Bryan/College Station. What I would consider is in Hempstead take 159 to Highway 36 in Bellville. (You will have to go into the small town of Hempstead to get on 159. It is a country two lane road with little traffic. Last time I was on it, it was good.
2005 Dodge 2500 CTD ShortBed Quad Cab
08 Jayco Eagle Superlite 31.5FBHS
Line X
Superglide Hitch
Prodigy Brake Controller

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
When you get to Galveston you would be "down at the Balinese", but a hurricane blew it away a few years ago.

ZZ Top: Balinese

This is all that's left (unless they cleared it away):

2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
If you take that route you'll be "out in the sticks on Highway 6" but you won't pass through La Grange. Here's the song that made Highway 6 (a little bit) famous. We used to cruise in to Texas A & M on Highway 6. It's a beautiful campus if you get a chance to stop and see it.

ZZ Top: Master Of Sparks
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
darsben1 wrote:
I really like coming in through Surfside beach. There are opportunities to pull onto the beach and camp with no troubles.
Also a nice state park enroute to Galveston but I cannot remember its name

The drive from Surfside to Galveston is one of my favorites. You'll cross a small but passable toll bridge. I had to pull over and walk back because I couldn't reach the toll box from my TV.
Larry

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
I really like coming in through Surfside beach. There are opportunities to pull onto the beach and camp with no troubles.
Also a nice state park enroute to Galveston but I cannot remember its name
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind