cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trip to Death Valley National Park from Illinois

marybethmc
Explorer
Explorer
Any suggestions on travel to Death Valley. We are driving a 35 ft class A. Leaving Illinois last week in August. Are there any private campgrounds near the area with electricity and water? I know it will be hot there and would not want to rely on my generator to keep my coach cool.

Also are there any challenging roads we will encounter coming to that area?

Thanks Marybeth McGreevy
23 REPLIES 23

Off_Pavement
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your April time frame might be perfect to see the Death Valley wildflowers depending on winter moisture. Some years are incredible! We live in Pahrump and visit the park often twice a week in fall, winter, and spring... not so much so this time of year.

Keep in mind the park is HUGE! There are over 300 miles of paved roads, and several hundred back country roads and trails. If you aren't taking your own 4x4 vehicle, I'd suggest renting a Jeep. The real interest of Death Valley to us is in the mountains that surround the valley.

Here is a link to a short DVNP 4x4 route video I made a couple years ago. It snowed in the mountains and was darn chilly at 3000 ft...

Off Pavement's Death Valley - Rhyolite and Titus Canyon
The Road To Paradise Is NOT Paved!
Please Support Multiple Use of our Public Lands!

Brian Hoag
www.rv-camping.org
'10 Sunseeker Class C - Gozer II
'13 Jeep JKU (Wrangler) - Billie

996Pilot
Explorer
Explorer
marybethmc wrote:
Any suggestions on travel to Death Valley. We are driving a 35 ft class A. Leaving Illinois last week in August. Are there any private campgrounds near the area with electricity and water? I know it will be hot there and would not want to rely on my generator to keep my coach cool.

Also are there any challenging roads we will encounter coming to that area?

Thanks Marybeth McGreevy

I suggest you read the first line of your question -- DEATH VALLEY.

It's not called Death Valley for nothing. It still holds the record for the Hottest Place On EARTH!!!! Not uncommon for summer temps to see 120 or more. Consider Death Valley from Thanksgiving to March 1. Then, be prepared for some mighty cold nights. Just Sayin
2018 Arctic Fox 811
2015 RAM 3500 SRW Laramie Longhorn 6.7 Cummins 68RFE Timbren SES, Lower Stableloads
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie 5.9 Cummins 48RE TRADED
2006 Outfitter Apex 8 TRADED

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2roll wrote:
IIRC when I first signed up there was a message or statement to suggest to make the first post in Forum Technical Support.
I assume that language has changed? Been a while for me.
Interesting. According to a search this is the OP's first post after joining in 2005. Don't see that every day.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Good plan to postpone. We have been there 3 times - going down from Pahrump or Lone Pine, CA.

I know St. Charles BTW. My wife and I were born / raised in Geneva. A looooong
time ago. 🙂
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
If at all possible, think about postponing Death Valley to March at the latest.

In very early 2014, we took a cross country trip from Richmond, VA to Los Angeles, CA. One of the major places I was definitely going to visit was Death Valley NP. Knowing how hot it can get there, we left home the last week in February.

Even in March, one day in Death Valley it reached 90. A "cool front" came through and dropped the temperature down in the 70's. There was just wind, and due to the wind, sand in the air. There was no chance for a thunderstorm or any rain, because both the hot air and the "cold" air had no moisture in it.

If you are lucky, the heat will be tolerable in April.

marybethmc wrote:
Thanks for all your suggestions. I think we will postpone Death Valley till April. I am sure everything would be taxed including us.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
1492 wrote:

IIRC when I first signed up there was a message or statement to suggest to make the first post in Forum Technical Support.
I assume that language has changed? Been a while for me.

Moderator's Note: Should you come across that message, let me know.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Drive really slow to arrive in January :B

You do realize it will be 90 at sunrise and 110 to 122 from late morning to late into the night? Otherwise Furnace Creek campground has some electric sites and water at the dump station along with a few spigots about every 10th site. There is fuel in the park so keep the tank filled for if you need to run the generator. Any power issues and this heat is deadly.

Roads are good but are 8 to 10 percent incline so don't push it. This will test the cooling and braking system of even the best maintained vehicles.

cekkk
Explorer
Explorer
You asked for suggestions on travel to DV in August. I suggest you don't. Seriously. It's been over a hundred here for several days, much hotter in the Valley. Trust me, it's no place for an RV! Imagine Illinois in August being cool in comparison.

We moved here a few months ago from central Colorado, where the current temp tonight is 52. That's where to spend August!

If interested, PM me for an easy, non challenging drive into Buena Vista, CO, from Illinois. You'll have more time to enjoy yourself. We lived an hour from there and found beautiful views almost 360 degrees around and close to many interesting sites.

Just an alternative to what might be a disappointing vacation experience.

Whatever you do, I hope you have a safe and memorable trip!

Hmm. I suspect DV in August will be memorable.
'11 Eagle 320RLDS '02 Ford F350 DRW 7.3 PSD
"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch and do nothing" - Albert Einstein."

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
X4 on the 'too hot'! We live nearby and have gone there a lot (not in the summer!) ..all the parks there are good, you won't be disappointed with any of them but as people say, even with good A/Cs, in the summer you are going to be sweating inside even with them running full tilt. The reality is no manufacturer expects you to go to Death Valley in the summer!

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mary, we Californios won't tax you that much!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Here's a suggestion if you still want to visit DV in August: Stay in one the nice and inexpensive RV parks in Pahrump, NV and drive to DV by car. If you don't have a toad, rent a car for a day or two to explore the entire park. Pahrump is only 60 miles from Furnace Creek. While in Pahrump, you can also visit Las Vegas 60 miles away. Make sure to visit DV early in the morning while the temps are at their lowest. Good luck!

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
rv2go wrote:
It can still be over 100 in April.
Yeah...
If you can figure out how to get outta the midwest between Dec and March you'll have a way better time in the hole
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
It can still be over 100 in April.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog