cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tulsa to Killeen Texas

tfdcc
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going from Tulsa on Hwy 75 through Dallas to Killeen Texas. Will it be faster to go straight through Dallas or take the 635 loop to the east? Thanks for the info. Chris
3 REPLIES 3

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Do what PawPaw said.

I live just north of Dallas near 75 and go thru it frequently. After 9 am and before 4 pm follow 75 to downtown Dallas. Approaching downtown 75 will become I-45 toward Houston. Follow i-45 south to I-20. West on I-20 to I-35E. South on I-35E. That route will have the best roads, easiest highway transfers, and lesser traffic.

Stay off of I-635. And don't try to transfer from 75 to I-35E in the downtown area. Lots of construction in the I-35E/I-30 area downtown. And I-35E just south of downtown has narrow lanes with curves you really have to be careful on. Going straight down to I-20 avoids all that.

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
I worked in downtown Dallas for several years. Have lived in Dallas area for 30+ years before going full-time, and with kids/ grandkids in the area still visit often.

I WILL NOT take I-35E from downtown Dallas with my truck/TT. I do take US-75->I-45->I-20->I-35E often. An easier, straight shot past downtown Dallas. The I-35E / I-30 Interchange requires too many lane changes too fast.

Taking the straight route vs I-635/I-20 loop depends upon time of day. Both roads are subject to rush hour delays. The straight thru has fewer non-freeway options if you get caught behind a backup. The Loop has more lanes and is quicker to clear accidents than the straight thru route.

The one thing to watch is where I-635 ends and becomes I-20. Be in the left lane when you get to the I-635/I-20 intersection. Watch for idiots on I-20 trying to cross five lanes of traffic from the far left to the far right in 1/3 mile to make the US-175 to Dallas exit.

The loop is less stressful for most folks.

Recommended times are between 10 am and 3 pm. Or before 7 am / after 7 pm.

Construction on US-75 north of Dallas is minimal delays through Allen/ Plano.

Construction on I-35 near Temple gets tight about 5 miles north of Temple and continues past Belton.

Nothing major, just no shoulders and 'small' lanes.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

dan-nickie
Explorer
Explorer
Straight through on 75 assuming you don't go during rush hour.
Dan and Nickie
2014 Forest River Berkshire 390RB