cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Twin Falls to Las Vegas via 93

turbopilot51
Explorer
Explorer
Can someone please tell me what the hwy 93 is like from Twin Falls to Vegas? My main concern how desolate the road appears and where to get help if there is a mechanical issue. Is Hwy 15 through a better option? Thanks!
12 REPLIES 12

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Drove the route today. Easy drive just long. No road construction delays until East Vegas. Lots of haze from the fires so the distant hills were hard to see.

We always take 6 to 318 cut-off to save an hour.

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
93 is a really good road. Make sure you fill up in Ely! It's 120 miles to the next fuel - Ash Springs where the prices are high. (Buf if you need fuel, you pay.) Pahranagat is a nice overnight stop. If the free campsites are full, there's an old quarry across the street you can stay in. (I've done both.) There's a big Love's travel plaza right where 93 meets I-15. Fresh water is available at the gas pumps if - like me - you run down winterized and need to fill the fresh tank.
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some years ago we spent a night in a motel in Caliente, going E to W (via the ET highway). Across from us was a large open area and large historic RR station. Apparently the town used to be a major reststop for the trans continental passenger trains.

I also read that the town's motels where venues for polygamous weddings (from nearby Utah/Arizona).

The diner by the RR station had an interesting pressed tin ceiling, but unremarkable food.

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
We generally run this route each year in both directions. This spring the road surface was in pretty good shape, as much of the rough bits have been resurfaced. The weather is all important in Winter, as you can see really nasty snowstorms there until south of Caliente or Hiko.

It is pretty remote, though. You travel town to town.
Jackpot: declining these days, we now skip it.
Wells: Breakfast at Bella's. We don't usually patronize Bella's other "enterprise".
Ely: Gas and fast food. Hotels are spendy there. Town is scruffy.
Caliente: sometimes we go this way, as it is an interesting little town.
Ash Springs: emergency fuel stop. The bird sanctuary just south is a great RV overnite.
Final gas stop is at US93 and I-15, Luv's there.
Then the Vegas madhouse. All the road is always under construction!

richardcoxid
Explorer
Explorer
Looks that I duplicated bobsallyhโ€™s post so I will continue on.

Ely like most mining towns is located in a narrow valley, narrow, crooked, limited parking road however, downtown business route there is a rustic old hotel worth a visit (truck & RV parking 1-2 blocks away) then also there is a steam train ride from the RR Station/museum also well worth it.

Then- what is legal in certain counties in NV? You will pass by a โ€œadult houseโ€
2017 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax
2019 Outdoor RV (ORV) Timber Ridge 24RKS

richardcoxid
Explorer
Explorer
When you get to Ely, NV take truck bypass then Fed 6 and NV 318, better road, flatter (eliminates 2 mountain passes on Fed 93) eliminates a few miles.
2017 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax
2019 Outdoor RV (ORV) Timber Ridge 24RKS

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
We use that route twice a year coming and going from Yuma. Great road, can get a little boring but so much better than I-15. But you want to take RT 318 at Hiko to RT 6 just below Ely, NV. RT 6 than will take you to Ely. You eliminate some pulls going toward Great Basin National Park. It is also about 40 miles shorter.

donkeydew
Explorer
Explorer
that highway patrolman is looking for more than lost souls and will lighten your wallet real fast

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Couple places 100 to 135 miles between service. Nice road, we travel it once or twice each year.

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
Desolate. Pretty and possible snow in the shoulder seasons. I saw a truck camper off the highway a few hundred feet - I think he boondocked there - and he had his truck hood up. A highway patrol car was with him.
I suspect that the troopers occasionally run the highway looking for lost souls like that.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
It's a good route. Last time we drove it was in our car, but it's a good road and with gas stations in Jackpot, Wells, and Ely, no problem there or scenery. It's a scenic route in our opinion.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Community Alumni
Not applicable
It is desolate, but heavily traveled. Many WA snowbirds use it when coming to Las Vegas or AZ.