cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Utah to RMNP, Hwy 34 closed, now what?

FFWIFE50
Explorer
Explorer
I called the RMNP this morning to see if Hwy 34 was open and it isnt. it is closed and the Ranger didn't think it was going to open again this season. It looks like the alternative road to the park and Morraine Park would be the Peak to Peak Hwy? or is there another route?

Thanks for your help
9 REPLIES 9

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
4runnerguy wrote:
Thom02099 wrote:
The Peak-to-Peak is one way to go and certainly scenic. It's not the only way to go. You could also take I-70 to US 6 east of Idaho Springs and take US 6 in to Golden. In Golden, you could take CO 72/93 north to Boulder and pick up CO 7/US 36 in Boulder, taking that north through Lyons, and then US 36 up to Estes Park.

This would not be my pick of routes. Driving through Boulder mid-week means a lot of in-town, busy traffic. Personally, I'd select the Peak to Peak route. Great scenery and you avoid city traffic.

Agreed. Pointing out as an alternative, depending on OP's comfort level of driving in the mountains, possibly in the snow and/or slush. Choice of travelling at 8000-9000 feet versus 5000-6000 feet.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
Thom02099 wrote:
The Peak-to-Peak is one way to go and certainly scenic. It's not the only way to go. You could also take I-70 to US 6 east of Idaho Springs and take US 6 in to Golden. In Golden, you could take CO 72/93 north to Boulder and pick up CO 7/US 36 in Boulder, taking that north through Lyons, and then US 36 up to Estes Park.

This would not be my pick of routes. Driving through Boulder mid-week means a lot of in-town, busy traffic. Personally, I'd select the Peak to Peak route. Great scenery and you avoid city traffic.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bionic Man wrote:
Lauren wrote:
Coming from the west I think we presumed he was coming from the west.

Peak to Peak would be from the east side of the divide. 34/Trail Ridge is the only route from the west, and it is seasonal.

If coming from UT/SLC area, the best way would be I80 either to I25 and south or 287 south from Laramie. Both would end up at I25, go to Loveland, then West on 34.

This would certainly be a recommendation if coming from SLC. I think from other posts, the OP was at the Grand Canyon a few days back, so my guess is that they are in the SE part of Utah. Hence the other recommendations.

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
That is correct; however, Hwy 34 also comes to RMNP from the east but coming from the west many people take the Peak To Peak so as to not drive all the way to
Denver to travel north to take the 34 from the east.

Take the Peak To Peak.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Lauren wrote:

Peak to Peak would be from the east side of the divide. 34/Trail Ridge is the only route from the west, and it is seasonal.

If coming from UT/SLC area, the best way would be I80 either to I25 and south or 287 south from Laramie. Both would end up at I25, go to Loveland, then West on 34.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
FFWIFE50 wrote:
I called the RMNP this morning to see if Hwy 34 was open and it isnt. it is closed and the Ranger didn't think it was going to open again this season. It looks like the alternative road to the park and Morraine Park would be the Peak to Peak Hwy? or is there another route?

Thanks for your help

Now is the time to be using COTRIP.ORG judiciously! Your timing could be important in coming through the Rockies.

COTrip.org

You may have other issues in getting there besides the closure of Trail Ridge Rd/US 34 in RMNP. As of this posting time, I-70 from Eagle-Vail area, over Vail Pass, Summit County and the approach to the Eisehower/Johnson Tunnels and Georgetown are all reporting as snow/slushy/icy and in some places snow packed. Winter Weather Advisory is currently in effect; highs on Monday in that area are only going to be in the low 40s.

HOWEVER....it's looking better later in the week, both for the mountains as well as down here in the flats, with a warming trend. IIRC from one of your other posts you said you were coming through around the 15th? If so, that's supposed to be the pick of the litter day! Near 80 here in the flats, so areas like the Peak-to-Peak will be in better shape, even if they do get some snow overnight tonight and into Monday.

OR....if you want to remain on Interstates, take I-70 east to I-76 to I-25 and go north on I-25 to either the Longmont exit for CO 66 to Lyons, or continue on up to the US 34 exit in Loveland.

Let the weather -- and COtrip.org -- be your guide!

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
34 is likely closed over Trail Ridge. It should be open from Loveland to Estes. Come from the east and you will be fine.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Lived in Estes 8 years and been back several times since. I do not recommend Hwy 34 from the west - or going to the west - for rv's for many reasons. Not surprised it it closed until Spring at this point. Might open a day or so periodically but nothing you can count on.

Peak to Peak is the way we have used many times and recommend it from that direction.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax