cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Vancouver Island

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Planning on visiting Vancouver Island arriving early to mid May. Any words of wisdom? We are near 55' LOA so ferry charges are a factor. Any preferences for which route to take for any particular reason?
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995
25 REPLIES 25

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I would think about back tracking and using Black Ball out of Port Angeles. That would reduce travel time from WI to I-5 north to ferry out of Vancouver.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Orion
Explorer
Explorer
From Whidbey Island, your closest route is the Anacortes -Sidney route. It should be running by May. Not only is it the closest, but they have had a big discount for RVs for the past several years.
Sometimes I sit and think deep thoughts. other times, I just sit!

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Veebyes wrote:
Port Angeles does not work for us. Looking at coming from Olympia to Whidbey Island for a few days then VI, back off VI then N headed to Alaska. Timewise makes no difference to us which terminal we use. Wondering which is preferable due to ease of use, cost, sights along route, demand for space, weekday vs weekend, time of day preferable, general local knowledge one over the other.

I would suggest that if you would like to avoid driving the traffic nightmare of Tacoma, Seattle, and Everett, from Olympia head up the East side of the Olympic Peninsula on Hwy 101 to Port Townsend then ferry over to Coopville on Whidbey Island.
Very relaxing drive!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Port Angeles does not work for us. Looking at coming from Olympia to Whidbey Island for a few days then VI, back off VI then N headed to Alaska. Timewise makes no difference to us which terminal we use. Wondering which is preferable due to ease of use, cost, sights along route, demand for space, weekday vs weekend, time of day preferable, general local knowledge one over the other.

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR

shawdowboss
Explorer
Explorer
I would go north on land and use BC Ferries. Easy on-off, and better ride and more frequent crossings, so you can avoid peak hours easier than Black Ball. Washington to Vancouver can be rough as its cross gulf, so winds and tide can make it rough. Also you have to deal with customs at the dock both ways with Black Ball vs the land crossings, need an hour prior to sailing to be at the dock.

Also black ball is downtown Victoria.

We stayed in Nainimo and drove to see sights. Only about an hour scenic drive to Victoria. You should go to Duncan and see the totems.

Ive done both ferries, and overall BC were better and easier. Black ball is an older boat vs a newer fleet with BC Ferries. Rates may be better with BC.

Can do VI on multiple routes from Vancouver BC depending on your stay point.

You can restock on VI, similar prices as Seattle and most us cities. No need to take a lot through customs on either ferry.
2006 Gulfstream Ultra 6331
33' Super C
8.1L V8 Gas

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
enblethen wrote:
I would use Tsawwassen in that case.

If you use Tsawwassen, you can also visit Point Roberts, The Washington state community that you need to drive through Canada to get to.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
Either Tsawasswn or Horseshoe bay terminals will get you there but will be very expensive. It would actually be cheaper to go from Port Angeles even with the extra distance involved.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I would use Tsawwassen in that case.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Back & forth from Vancouver. Looking at more than 10 days on VI.

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Many options.
If you are visitng Washington's Olympic Pennisula, I would suggest Black Ball Ferry out of Port Angeles to get to Victoria. Then come back to mainland fro Nanaimo to Vancouver.
Another thought would be to leave rig on mainland. There is very good transportation on Vancouver Island. Do a walk on and spend the night or two in hotel.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
From where?