cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wash state Bickleton hwy ?

Bigdog
Explorer
Explorer
Heading over to Central Wa after Labor Day with my aunt from Portland,she'll be 91 on Labor Day and she's taking me zip-lining at Skamania Lodge. We're going up to Yakima,her hometown, from there via Maryhill Winery,Goldendale,Prosser and I want to try the Bickleton Hwy out of Goldendale going to Prosser via Bickleton,Mabton and then down the hill on 22 into Prosser. I see on the map that there is a pretty good little run down into the Rock Creek Canyon. I would imagine that this route is used by a lot of farm trucks and should be passable for me with my Class A and toad.
I've done 97 several times and I really don't want to cry when I see the more than 20,000 acres that are burning now and I've also driven 221 a couple of times.
GO COUGARS
2001 Tradewinds 7390 LTC
330 Cat Turbo Freightliner Chassis
2011 Jeep Liberty(toad)

'88 Mustang 5 Spd 5.0L GT convertible (not Toad)
3 REPLIES 3

Bigdog
Explorer
Explorer
Now I do remember that it was in Wa backroads and I'll have to do it. I have both Wa and Ore books and have done a lot of the roads in Oregon and a few in Wa. One of these days,I'm going to sit down with the maps of Oregon and Washington and mark all the roads that I.ve taken. The only part of Wa I haven't spent too much time is the extreme NE corner and the extreme SE corner of Oregon or the Oweyhee River area. I have been to the Steens about 10 times over the years and still haven't ben east of 95,except on 20..
GO COUGARS
2001 Tradewinds 7390 LTC
330 Cat Turbo Freightliner Chassis
2011 Jeep Liberty(toad)

'88 Mustang 5 Spd 5.0L GT convertible (not Toad)

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can see full details of this with Google Maps terrain mode and streetview.

Earl Thollander (Backroads) has a sketch of the Rock Creek canyon. There are grades on this crossing, but lots of guardrails as well.

There is one right angle turn on the flat area to the north that almost caught me unawares.

http://www.theviewfromrighthere.com/blog/?tag=goldendale-bickleton-highway

Motorcycle video

pfidahospud
Explorer
Explorer
It is just a two-lane highway, and there is a definite grade just south of Mabton. I've done it with our trailer and wasn't overly concerned. Be sure to check out Bickleton's carousel museum, and the oldest pool table in the bar across the street. Neat little town.