cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Watch your speed in NC

Hokiehall
Explorer
Explorer
Just a heads up to those of you traveling to or through North Carolina. They appear to be cracking down on any speeding, even a mile or two. At least for a while.

NC Speed Limit
16 REPLIES 16

Hokiehall
Explorer
Explorer
While I do not condone speeding, at the same time, if you choose to do the speed limit or less, then please stay out of the passing lanes. Nothing irritates me much more than someone parked in the passing lanes traveling at 5 or 10 mph under the posted limit. You are more dangerous than someone doing 80 because people have to go around you on the right.

Stay in the right lane. Thank you.

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
I drive the speed limit in my daily driver, MH and toad. If you're behind me, go around or leave earlier. I see no reason to speed up and risk a ticket to make a stranger happy.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Customs vary from state to state. There are actually quite a few states with strict enforcement rules. A couple border on Texas, making a lot of money from Texans coming through who are accustomed to "ten over is minimum speed" on their own roads.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Likes to tow wrote:
If people would just realize what speeding does. It reduces your MPG, makes accidents more severe, makes everyone pay higher insurance rates, makes towing a trailer and changing lanes harder than it needs to be. Most people get into the habit of driving 10 miles per hour over the speed limit and cannot stand to run the true speed limit!! Don't you hate tailgaters trying to push you along faster? I welcome any state cracking down on speeding. It makes Rving so much safer and fun.

^^^^^ This.

Speed limits are not a suggestion. Just sayin':D
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

RandACampin
Explorer
Explorer
Horsedoc wrote:
For you people who "And I don't care how many other vehicles are behind me. Never have worried about them!"
Since you don't care about the vehicles behind you (obviously you care only for your self), would you please have just a little consideration for those who need/want to get around you and keep in the right lane? Just because you have all the time in the world, there are truckers and others who still have a job and schedules to meet. Keep out of the left lane!

And the center lane as well, if a 3-lane freeway.
HEY CHECK IT OUT!! http://www.rvingoutpost.com

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
For you people who "And I don't care how many other vehicles are behind me. Never have worried about them!"
Since you don't care about the vehicles behind you (obviously you care only for your self), would you please have just a little consideration for those who need/want to get around you and keep in the right lane? Just because you have all the time in the world, there are truckers and others who still have a job and schedules to meet. Keep out of the left lane!
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

Wadcutter
Nomad
Nomad
jplante4 wrote:
WyoTraveler wrote:
I've been driving for a lot of years. Never saw a speed limit sign that said "approximate speed limit plus a few". Seems like the number on the signs means what it says.

Pretty common for most northeast states to give 10 mph leeway, mostly because if they pulled over everyone exceeding the speed limit, they'd be too busy to do anything else.

It's pretty common almost everywhere outside of urban areas to give 10 mph more or less leeway but that is just the officer's discretion. But that's not the law. If the law says the speed limit is 70 mph then it doesn't mean +10 too. Some places are more strict than others.
Camped in every state

Likes_to_tow
Explorer II
Explorer II
If people would just realize what speeding does. It reduces your MPG, makes accidents more severe, makes everyone pay higher insurance rates, makes towing a trailer and changing lanes harder than it needs to be. Most people get into the habit of driving 10 miles per hour over the speed limit and cannot stand to run the true speed limit!! Don't you hate tailgaters trying to push you along faster? I welcome any state cracking down on speeding. It makes Rving so much safer and fun.

Hokiehall
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
even two years back I made a trip threw NC I,never seen so meny cruisers.

I must be lucky because I travel in North Carolina a lot and rarely see a trooper.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Glad to hear this! I wish Indiana would crack down! Especially around Indianapolis! I don't speed, never have, but I do run the speed limit. And I don't care how many other vehicles are behind me. Never have worried about them!

After all, "it's all about ME!" and "ME" don't want no speeding tickets!

pulsar
Explorer
Explorer
Hokiehall wrote:
enblethen wrote:
What is the speed limit for over 10,000 pounds in NC?

I don't think they make a distinction like some states do.

That is correct - the speed limit is the speed limit for all.

I'm in favor of slowing down those who believe that speed limits don't apply to them. Now, if I can convince Sarah.

Tom
2015 Meridian 36M
2006 CR-V toad
3 golden retrievers (Breeze, Jinks, Razz)
1 border collie (Boogie)

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
WyoTraveler wrote:
I've been driving for a lot of years. Never saw a speed limit sign that said "approximate speed limit plus a few". Seems like the number on the signs means what it says.

Pretty common for most northeast states to give 10 mph leeway, mostly because if they pulled over everyone exceeding the speed limit, they'd be too busy to do anything else.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Hokiehall
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
What is the speed limit for over 10,000 pounds in NC?

I don't think they make a distinction like some states do.

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer