cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Water for fresh water reservoir on road to Alaska

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, I plan to stay off campground most of the time in AK, except for like Denali, Homer, Valdez and a few other places. But sometimes you just need water and you seem not to find any, especially after a few days without CG.

Do you have any recommended place to fill up water in Yukon and AK. This would be just for washing and dishes. I will buy some drinking water at the stores.

I now a place in Fairbanks just as you get in town there is a big filling station, I think it is like 1 or 2 cents a gallon.

I read this from this site: http://www.alaskacenters.gov/alaskan-diseases.cfm
Giardia is a highly irritating parasite that you can get from drinking unfiltered water from streams and lakes in Alaska.

So this is not very encouraging. I could be OK for washing as long as you do not sip any.

Thank for your inputs.
Monaco Cayman 34 2003, Cummins 300HP
Bigfoot 2008, 10.4, F350, 2006, Diesel 6.0, Black, 4x4, long box, Air lift, Rancho 9000, Rear sway bar.
20 REPLIES 20

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the info.

We normally buy bottle water from big distributor for drinking only. We use available potable water if it is of good taste and marked as potable.

We do use some wet wipe when we are running short of water, they do great.

Yep, big winds in the prairies, we had it for days when we went west last time, but we kept going, sometimes you have to do what you have to do!
Bigfoot 2008, 10.4, F350, 2006, Diesel 6.0, Black, 4x4, long box, Air lift, Rancho 9000, Rear sway bar.

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
I find it interesting that you don't want to pay a bit for water for the fresh water tank BUT will be willing to spend the big bucks for bottled water for drinking.

Best strategy is to be very frugal with your water usage in the camper. Hand-sanitizer rather than water is a good option after using the toilet. Use the outhouses rather than your RV toilet. Baby wipes make a great "cheating" bath, not anywhere near as good as a real shower but effective in a pinch.
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
We usually ask at a gas station when we're filling with fuel if we can also fill with water. Has never been a problem.

Yukon gov't campgrounds have hand pumps only.
No rest area that I know of in northern BC or Yukon has water available.

Dease Lake on the Cassiar Highway has a community fill station along the highway.

Watson Lake has a community park, just a block or two behind the Super A grocery store that has potable water and a free dump station.

The Canadian Tire in Whitehorse does not have water or dumping available; haven't seen it at any Canadian Tire in B.C. either.
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

mayo30
Explorer
Explorer
Kiddo-yes life is an adventure,better make that a fried egg under your gas pedal when heading into our northwest winds in Saskatchewan and Alberta going up the yellow Head #16.

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the good suggestions. Especially for the Free water station..., I will note them on my log book. I did not remember the Milepost had some indication on Water point, I will check mine more closely.

I did not have real problem to get FREE water in my trip in 2012, I was filling up as often as I could. Too bad I did not note them on my log. This time we are three in the TC, I will have to plan a little more.

I travel the same way anywhere I go, on a budget. No matter if it is a $10,000 budget or a $1000 budget. This way I can strech every dollar and keep the rest for my next travel.

I do not go to restaurants, my wife is a chef!, I do my own mechanic, I wash my camper myself, I rarely use private campground, I put an egg under my fuel pedal, I try to travel when there is no head wind, I look for free water, I look for free camping with a view if possible, I look for free dump, I use free highway, do not worry, it is all part of the adventure!

afraid_of_bears
Explorer
Explorer
We had no problems finding water in Alaska.

We prefer boon docking over campgrounds.

We usually got water at the gas station when we fueled up the truck.

I also highly recommend the Milepost. Very informative book

Good luck,

joe_b_
Explorer
Explorer
Many of the government campgrounds on the Alaska Hwy, the Cassiar or in Alaska will have hand pumps for water with a "boil water notice" at the pump. Over the years I have never been turned down, when stopped at a roadhouse for fuel or to eat, when I asked if I could fill my water tank. Dumping may take a bit more looking around and asking in the communities close by. I have noticed the last few trips, that once the provincial parks become managed by a contractor, the sani dumps cease to be free, a couple of provencial's south of Prince George, had some sort of coin operated dump stations, which I didn't use but would have if needed at that time.

Unless a person just needs something to worry about, water and dumping just isn't an issue that I have ever noticed. Find it free, may be more difficult as in finding a free campground. Just another reason to carry a bag full of loonies, toonies and some $5 bills to pay the charge and enjoy the trip. LOL
joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2016 Fleetwood Flair 31 B Class A w/bunks
www.picturetrail.com/jbpacooper
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".

Luke_Porter
Explorer
Explorer
I think there usually is water at the Yukon campgrounds.
Yep, actually drove to all of these places---in the last eight years. Missed Rhode Island and New Jersey.

lucy6194
Explorer
Explorer
we paid 30 dollar to dump on Cape cod. Also agree with person who said if you think $10 expensive good luck on your trip. Fuel food get your wallet out get use to it you don't even have to like it.

AKsilvereagle
Explorer II
Explorer II
For those of you commuting in the Alaska Interior, there are three free water stations....

1) - -160 miles south of Fairbanks- Around mile 204 Richardson Hwy. east side turnout near Isabel Pass and Fielding Lake access road (potable - use at your own risk)

2) - -40 miles north of Fairbanks- Mile 30 Elliott Hwy. west side turnout (also potable - use at your own risk), however it's best to skip this water hole compared to the other option 30 miles south of this location

3) - -10 miles north of Fairbanks- Mile 0 Elliott Hwy. west side turnout in Fox (1/4 mile from Steese Hwy junction) - spring water station - constantly water tested and monitored) is where I always get my drinking water supply and for the pets, as I make my trips count twice per year when making the drive there stocking up on roughly 42 gallons of water at one time during spring or summer and definitely during fall as this station is open year round....during winter the ice around the shack builds up so bad it's hard to keep still with your footing as you have to hold the jug while filling up which isn't fun, especially when your gloves start to get wet...the last winter trip I took there to get water was -38 below F as the heat tape along the well pipe barely kept the water supply flowing.

Alaska DOT is responsible for the spring water station as funds are allocated thru their department, as Alaska DEC does the water testing and monitoring.

This is the old shack during May 2006 that has now been rebuilt in 2010 or so :

The new shack was moved away from directly over the creek here (and relocated right where the fence is shown in the picture background), as during any intermittent colder April and May seasonal temperatures would not melt the ice along the creek in a sufficient matter which in turn would temporarily put the water station out of service, thus now the well pipes were also rerouted and held up even better for the winter months :

This spring water station is essential for the many cabins and other residents that have no running water living along the outskirts from every direction, so expect to see a crowd of people averaging 3 to 5 vehicles waiting their turn to fill their jugs :

The only other local places in the Fairbanks area that have a pump/nozzle/pay water type stations that I am aware of are :

Fairbanks :

1)- Northeast corner lot of Old Steese Hwy. and Trainor Gate Rd. located between Club Alaska bar and Mattress Ranch building, which are across the street from Fred Meyer East store.

2)- Can't remember exactly where on College Rd., but thinking near (east of) Creamers Field area around the vicinity where the Culligan sign is located.

North Pole :

3)- Forbes Laundry located one mile south of the North Pole overpass along the frontage road next to the Richardson Hwy. (can't miss it) 8th Ave. and St. Nicholas Dr. - the water nozzle is located within the south exterior wall of the building (open access facing 8th ave.)

If you have the hose preset positioned ready and jugs lined up and lids removed before activating the water, you should be lucky enough to get water for 10c a gallon as the system is based on a timer.

The potential inconvenient and unreliable part of getting water here is you need to go inside the laundromat to obtain a slot card which is a vending machine mounted in the wall just like the kind at a car wash (push button for a slot card, re-insert slot card, insert money, take out slot card) and insert the prepaid slot card in the water pump unit.

On my frequency of stopping there, one out of four times the water nozzle would be out of order (which when I was low on pet water supply in the past during late winter and did not want to buy water or drive to Fox, I started carrying a one inch flex hose and use the sink in the shower rooms to fill the pet jugs with), and half the time the slot cards are out of stock if you do not have one so it would be best to be there during daytime hours while an attendant is present if one would want water at this location.
1975 Ford F250 2WD Ranger XLT (Owned June 2013)
460 V8- C6 Trans- 3.73:1 (196K Total Mi)
2000 Fleetwood Angler 8ft Cabover
Air Lift 1000 (Front)
Hellwig 3500 lb Helper Springs (rear)
Hellwig Front and Rear Sway Bars
Goodyear G971 LT Series (siped)

pugslyyy
Explorer
Explorer
Kidoo wrote:
Actually looking for free or nearly free water..., $10 is a bit expensive.

How often to you need water? I figure I need to do laundry, etc at a real campground every 7-10 days and need to fill dump 1-2x between CGs. I also figure half the time I can find a place to do it for free - so an extra $1/day isn't busting the budget.

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
:h,
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
In lieu of having no water, I'd gladly pay $10 for it.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

mayo30
Explorer
Explorer
Kidoo wrote:
Actually looking for free or nearly free water..., $10 is a bit expensive. I do not remember if the governement park in Yukon have water?
Well good luck on your trip if you think that is expensive!