cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Waterton Lakes ?'s

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
We will be starting our exploration of the Canadian Rockies at Waterton Lakes NP. We will be coming directly from Glacier NP in Montana. There is a border crossing at Chief Mountain which is the most direct route. Another option is to go through Cardston. Coming in from the US, we'll need to exchange some cash to pay for CG's and incidentals.

First, does anyone know if they take credit cards at the entrance station to purchase an annual Discovery Pass? If not, then the route through Cardston is definitely indicated.

Second, even if I can use a credit card to get into the park, is there a currency exchange in Waterton Townsite? We'll need some cash for things like campsites, etc. to begin with, since we're planning on camping at Crandell Mountain CG (no reservations). Or does the CG take credit cards on site for camping fees?

Looking forward to our trip. Thanks for your advice.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)
10 REPLIES 10

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes wrote:

On the Weather Channel even the clouds stop at the border.

There is no wifi, either.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
96Brigadier wrote:
Ivylog wrote:
We will be entering through Chief Mountain mid June. I have found ATM's to be the easiest way to get cash and give the best exchange rate. Visa and America Express are honored world wide. Guess I've traveled enough so these are things I have not worried about. Even this part of Canada is not third world.

I found this comment pretty amusing... specifically "Even this part of Canada is not third world."

I'm scratching my head trying to figure out if that implies surprise, or implies there are parts of Canada that are third world, or something else.

Sitting out here in the Atlantic I guess I am sort of outside of the forest looking in.

I am also amused the way Canada is treated as some exotic foreign land. A huge place where cold air & hockey comes from. Little else is known about it.

On the Weather Channel even the clouds stop at the border.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info. I've entered Canada at a variety of places, but the Chief Mountain crossing is the only one where I didn't see anyplace to get currency before I needed it, specifically to pay for a parks pass. If the NP's take credit cards, then I can "buy" my way into Waterton where I can find an ATM. 😉

crabbin cabin wrote:
The trade off - I need a cg/park in the general Glenwood/ Basalt area for a summerlong site for my 30' MH. Any advice there?

PM on the way.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

96Brigadier
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
We will be entering through Chief Mountain mid June. I have found ATM's to be the easiest way to get cash and give the best exchange rate. Visa and America Express are honored world wide. Guess I've traveled enough so these are things I have not worried about. Even this part of Canada is not third world.

I found this comment pretty amusing... specifically "Even this part of Canada is not third world."

I'm scratching my head trying to figure out if that implies surprise, or implies there are parts of Canada that are third world, or something else.
2010 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Megacab Laramie, 6.7L CTD
Truck weight 8,448 lbs with hitch, wife, two kids, full load of diesel
2010 Keystone Cougar 293SAB
Pin Weight 1,800 lb, Trailer Weight 10,700 lb
(Loaded for camping w/ full water tank)

katleman
Explorer
Explorer
Chief Mountain is the crossing we used in 2009, no problems with the drive. We stayed just two nights, in Waterton itself, before heading on to Banff. June is fawning season for Waterton, the town is overrun by female deer, who come into town to give birth, as being safer from preadators.

You can get the Discovery pass as you enter your first park, with a credit card, in this case Waterton or just order it now via http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/ar-sr/lpac-ppri/ced-ndp.aspx

Have driven into Canada three times in recent years. Currency exchange tends to be expensive. I've just gone to the ATM and withdrawn an estimated amount of cash needed. Places will also take US, at a rate favorable to what you would pay to exchange.

There are several ATMs in Waterton, at least there were in 2009.
Visted via RV

crabbin_cabin
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes buy the national Park Annual Pass for all in your party, If you stay in any Canadian National Park 6 days or more that pass pays off. It allows entrance into all National Parks in Canada. On your exploration you can see/enter Waterton, Kootenay, Banff, Yoho, Jasper, Glacier ( the Canadian one near Revelstoke)
PM me ( a former national Park Warden) for more details. The trade off - I need a cg/park in the general Glenwood/ Basalt area for a summerlong site for my 30' MH. Any advice there?
Thanks, John

canadafan
Explorer
Explorer
ATM see :http://www.mywaterton.ca/currency-and-postal.cfm

I am pretty sure they take CCs at the townsite campground, not sure about Crandell, it's not always staffed.

IDman
Explorer
Explorer
I have never been anywhere in Canada that did not take U.S. currency but with the exchange rate costing you a few cents. As you spend U.S., they will give your change in Canadian money, so then spend it.

When you use a credit card, you will be chargef a foreign transaction fee by the credit card issurer.

You will enjoy your trip!

Powder_pig
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, you can use credit cards at the Park entrance. I suggest you look at purchasing a season pass for the Canadian National Parks as you pay it off pretty quickly if staying several nights and you have to have a pass or buy a day permit to go north of Lake Louise on the Icefields Parkway, assuming that is on your schedule.

I don't know about getting cash in Waterton but suspect there must be an ATM in or near the liquor store. You won't find a currency exchange (it is a very small town) but businesses will take your American money albeit sometimes at a poor exchange rate. There is a small grocery store in town but I would bring my basic foods with me if I were you. We use credit cards for most of our purchases in Waterton.

Waterton is a great hiking park with a couple of world class hikes (Crypt lake and the Akamina ridge) and many other really nice trails. If tenting, you are wise to stay in Crandell mtn campground since the townsite campground is very windy.

Emjoy!

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...