cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

West Through Northern Ontario Route 11 or 17?

Wrong_Lane
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like we have the sticks and bricks sold.

Planning to head west from the Maritimes to BC in late September. Driving a 37 foot Class A and pulling a toad (see signature)

No real deadline or fixed dates.

We want to stay in Canada for the entire route. It's a bucket list thing, drive across Canada.

So from North Bay, Route 11 to Thunder Bay or Route 17?

I know that Route 17 is scenic but everything I have read says 17 is twists, turns and hills while Route 11 is no scenery, just mile after mile of trees and rocks!

If 17 is as twisty and curvy as described I can't imagine it being a relaxing drive.

So, for those that have experience with these routes what is your opinion?
2006 Damon Challenger 348F Ford V10
2013 Ford Taurus SEL AWD
Blue Ox Aventa & Brake Buddy
19 REPLIES 19

almcc
Explorer
Explorer
We just did 17 this summer, doing the 400 to Sudbury and we went as far as Dryden where the highway starts to level out a bit as you get closer to Winnipeg.

Yes there are hills, the most challanging being the Montreal River hill north of the Sault, it's twinned going up so you can climb slowly. If your Rv has the capacity it shouldn't be a problem. There were lots of delays because of construction but a lot of that should be finished when you travel that route.

The twinned section from Sudbury going west is very rough as is some sections north of the Sault and around the Wawa area.

The road requires you attention and you will be a bit tired after doing those hills and turns but the scenery is great. If you need camp ground recommendations for a larger RV let me know, we have a 39 ft 5th wheel.

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
We drove Hwy. 17 a couple of summers ago. The scenery was great, lots of nice places to stop. You might run into some places being closed after Labour Day. One thing we would recommend is driving on the top of your gas tank. We found there were some long stretches with no gas stations (maybe 60 - 100 kms.) and no signs warning of this.
Top up in the larger communities and you will be OK.

If you can, try and spend a couple of nights at Whiteshell P.P. on the Ont/Man. border. It puts our P.P. to shame - also half the price of Ontario parks.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
We did the 17 last year. Conditions are good and the scenery is spectacular. I wouldn't say it was overly twisty, not to the point of concern, but there are some long grades to climb.

I would highly recommend a couple of nights at Sleeping Giant PP.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

Wrong_Lane
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks obgraham, I am inclined towards 17 as I can see trees and rocks here in New Brunswick.

I understand that some of 17 has been twined around Sudbury and Sault Ste. Marie with a median, any idea where and how much is multi-lane?
2006 Damon Challenger 348F Ford V10
2013 Ford Taurus SEL AWD
Blue Ox Aventa & Brake Buddy

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
Lived up there in my mis-spent youth.

11 is longer, road surface had its issues last time I drove it (10 years). As you say, it's flat and miles. Gets a bit twisty by Nipigon and west.

17 is likely a better surface. The hills and curves are gentle. It's the main route. That's the way I'd go.