cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Florida to Yellowstone 2017

Gambit80
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are starting to plan our 20th wedding anniversary trip for next year. We are planning to go from Jacksonville, Florida to Yellowstone, leaving on August 19th and traveling for two weeks.

We know this is a tight timetable, but it is the trip we want to do. What I am interested in is any information/input on routing. There are few stops we would like to hit, however, we aren't tied to any besides Yellowstone.

We would like to hit:

St. Louis Arch
Mount Rushmore
Yellowstone

The route back is still being decided, but we are trying to get an idea on all of this as we have never been out there before. Thanks for any advice!
Me(40), DW(40), DS(21), DS(21)
2015 Forest River Salem 26TBUD
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 QC, 5.9 CTD
26 REPLIES 26

Gambit80
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the reminder on Sturgis, I do know about the rally. I looked up the dates on the website and the rally is scheduled for August 7-13.

Thanks!

zcookiemonstar
Explorer
Explorer
Just in case you did not know. There is a huge 2 week motorcycle rally in Sturgis SD. at that time of year. If you are going anyplace near Mount Rushmore this might sway your plans. I don't know the dates but it is usually mid August.

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
I have been to YS 7 times from west PA. It's 2k miles for me 1 way. First time was in a 1982 class c at 60mph. We did the whole trip in 9 days when our oldest kid was 2(now23 in grad school) It can be done.
Sounds like your used to long distance driving. Don't let the retired people get you down, they have all the time in the world. We will to, someday. Go for it. A lot of good stuff out there, Bad Lands, Wall Drug, Tetons etc. When I'm just driving, I stay in rest areas, pull in about 10pm and leave at 5am. A lot less traffic
early in the morning. Sometimes when I'm excited and can't sleep I get up at 3am and drive. Your going to have a great time.
2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
This is probably more info than you asked for but thought I should share.

So we've done Yellowstone from Kansas and while not nearly as far as you have to travel we did do Custer, SD to Yellowstone to Mt. Hood to Oregon coast then back to Kansas this summer. Our average travel speed with stops for fuel, meals and toilet breaks was 55 mph. Highway speed was 65 mph. We averaged 12.02 mpg with a 2013 GMC 2500 HD towing a 10,500 lb 5ver. These are real numbers based on my actual experience. From Jacksonville google maps shows the south entrance to Yellowstone at 2208 miles. Your trip, in order to make it in two weeks will require 3-4 days to get there depending on whether you want to drive 10 hour days or 13 1/2 hour days. I've done both, while I don't mind those hours my wife hates more than 10. Assuming you're willing to do the 13 1/2 hours you'll need 6 days round trip. that gives you 8 days of Yellowstone and anything in between. St. Louis Arch is kind of cool if you've never done it. I wouldn't do it twice. I highly recommend Rushmore and Crazy Horse, Crazy Horse is better IMHO. We stayed at The Roost Resort in Custer, S.D. After that you can hit Devils Tower as a side trip to Yellowstone without spending the night. If you're not up to the 13 1/2 hours of driving and opt for the 10 then it's 8 days round trip with 6 days for Yellowstone or anything else. You could spend a couple weeks at Yellowstone and not see everything. Prepare for a lot of driving. The Yellowstone Grand Loop is around 100 miles. Depending on where you stay it's a 1/2 hour to an hour drive to see anything. Start early in the morning. We entered the park each day at 5:00 am and was back at the camper by 2:00-3:00 pm. This allowed us to avoid most of the crowds and made for a much more pleasant experience.

Getting back to your original request I would suggest the 10 hour days and then just spend 5-6 days touring Yellowstone. With two weeks I would forget anything else.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

Gambit80
Explorer
Explorer
We are almost in the same boat, however, this is almost like our Grand Beginning After Kids. We have twins who will be 21 by the time we take the trip next year. We had them young (19/20) and wouldn't change a thing, however, we did not have the "young married/have fun" time.

Don't get me wrong, love the kids and wouldn't change how we started, they have been camping with us for the last 8 years, but this will almost be like the honeymoon we couldn't afford or have the time to have. (Kids were before marriage, LOL)

My wife is soo excited next year can't get here quick enough!

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm looking at doing very similar next year also, but we are leaving from Atlanta, so we have about 6 hours less each way, a little under 2000 miles. We are hoping to leave on Fri night, and get 5-6 hours in, and then 2.5 days of driving after that, arriving on Monday. Great thread, and I'm looking forward to following it.

I did 900 miles a couple of years ago going from the Keys to ATL in one day. For us our kids will be out of the house in a couple of years, and kind of a Grand Finale vacation.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

Gambit80
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info, Skip. I did read up on Fishing Bridge, so I know the underwhelming reviews. However, at this time, I don't have a generator (I hope/plan on remedying this before the trip), so it would seem to the best one in the area as far as hook-ups.

Also, being centrally located is a bit of a plus, but I am willing to listen to other options.

As far as the naysayers, I don't look at it like that. I understand what they are trying to tell/warn me about. I get it. But as you say, the wife wants to try it and I am game. Distance driving doesn't bother me. Have done 15 hours to northern Ohio, 23 hours straight through from Jacksonville to Buffalo, NY (that was a tag team, however). Not to say I want to really do it for 4 days, but it is what it is.

Again, thanks for the info and ideas, everyone. We certainly appreciate it and look forward to more info!

Kaz
Explorer
Explorer
Gambit80 wrote:
My wife and I are starting to plan our 20th wedding anniversary trip for next year. We are planning to go from Jacksonville, Florida to Yellowstone, leaving on August 19th and traveling for two weeks.

We know this is a tight timetable, but it is the trip we want to do. What I am interested in is any information/input on routing. There are few stops we would like to hit, however, we aren't tied to any besides Yellowstone.

We would like to hit:

St. Louis Arch
Mount Rushmore
Yellowstone

The route back is still being decided, but we are trying to get an idea on all of this as we have never been out there before. Thanks for any advice!

Wow. We just drove most of the route (although we took months to do it) and it's hard to imagine doing it in less than 4 days each way, which leaves you about 8 days for the real stuff. Since it's your first time, I'd definitely plan on at least 4 days in Yellowstone. And I'd add at least a couple days in Grand Tetons, which we actually like better.

As to the route, I'd definitely agree with the comments above to avoid St. Louis, and skip the Arch. Doing St.Louis/Arch will slow you down and take time away from stops that are more worthwhile.

I'm a huge fan of Badlands and Mt. Rushmore. As noted above, you could drive through the Badlands, which isn't the ideal way to see it, but maybe better than nothing. For Mt. Rushmore, though, you'll want to spend some time there learning about the presidents and the reason the monument exists and, in my opinion, seeing the evening ceremony is as important as the monument itself. If you can, I'd definitely add these to the route, which only increases the distance on one leg by a couple hundred miles. Adding these, though, just reinforces the idea that it would be a waste of precious time to go see a big piece of curvy-like metal.

Be careful about Fishing Bridge in Yellowstone. As I've noted in other posts, as you can see from the reviews (see here: http://www.rvparkreviews.com/regions/wyoming/yellowstone-national-park/fishing-bridge-campground-nps...), there are two areas of that campground and one (unfortunately the one we stayed in) is without a doubt the worst National Park campground I've ever stayed at. Crowded, unlevel, weirdly configured, and a combination of dust and mud so severe that I found the campground to be uninhabitable. Some people say that staying at Fishing Bridge, despite its shortcomings, is worth it because Yellowstone is so big. I'm not so sure. Just think carefully about how the risks and rewards play out in your schedule.

FWIW, I agree that there are occasions (and doing what the wifey-poo wants on a 20th anniversary is one of them) where putting the pedal-to-the-metal and doing the must-do things is worth it, ignoring the naysayers. Good for you. Have a great trip!

Skip
Skip
K4EAK
2013 Thor ACE 30.1

Gambit80
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the information folks. My wife and I writing down the ideas and getting excited. Too bad it's another year out! Keep up the information, if you can or want to.

Please let me know of anything else. We have never been to this part of the country besides being in Denver for a week about 12 years ago.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Good idea Tom/Barb....if you're on I-90 heading to Mount Rushmore, definitely drive through Badlands Nat'l Park. It's a drive-through park. Get off at exit 131 and drive Hwy 240 through the park bringing you back out on I-90 at Wall. If you're game - get an ice cream or cold drink at Wall Drugs. You'll be seeing their signs hundred of miles beforehand. 🙂 Touristy, but interesting.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
two drivers on the freeway/interstate, can easy make 1000 a day in a good coach. fastest crossing we done, 50 hours Seattle to Albany Ny 4 driver, 2 hour shifts, keep this thing moving 🙂

Mt Rushmore is worth doing but it requires a day to leave I-90, see the monument, and get back to 90, so you might as well see the Badlands too. It's on the way when you leave 90 at Wall, S.D.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

brooks379
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a good trip I love Yellowstone but 4 or 5 days there and I'm ready to hit the road. I've been there 5 or 6 times. I really like going there around October, cooler and not so many tourist. YS is like the Grand Canyon it takes about 4 visits to really get to enjoy it because it is so darn big. It seems like some people on here have a hard time if they have to drive more than 50 miles a day ..lol. Drive out to YS, hang around 4 or 5 days and head home and enjoy the drive.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would leave Jax Friday afternoon/evening and drive past Atlanta that night. It's 500 miles from there to St Lou and stay at the CG recommended above. I usually try and stop on the far side of any large town but on Sunday morning traffic should be OK for the two day trip to Rushmore (1000 miles). I would go through Cody into Ystone's east entrance... 440 miles. This gets you to Ystone on Tuesday.
I would plan on a day and a half in the Tetons staying at Colter Bay. This lets you take 287 without backtracking to Rawlins and then I-80 to Lincoln NB then KC and St Lou. 2200 miles home in four days. Good luck.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Hey - it's your anniversary and many folks don't make it to 20 years anymore. This is special!! If she wants to see the Arch I'd recommend routing yourself that direction and spending the night at this RV park directly across from it. It is an awesome view at night....no need to go up in it - all you'll see are buildings of this big city. 🙂

http://www.goodsamclub.com/travel/campgroundsandrvparks/generalinfo.aspx?cgid=990000544

I agree that spending as much time as you have for a national parks is much better than not going at all. If you can both drive it will be a big help.

If you haven't already, check out Yellowstone's web site. It has lots of good information on things to do, road information, etc.

https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/index.htm

If you can route yourself to Mount Rushmore, definitely spend a night in the area and do it if you think you'll be stopping for a night around there anyway.

Have a great trip!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel