cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Where to say in the city of Colima

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
We will traveling from Guadalajara to Puerto Vallarta and are considering going via Colima, a place we have never visited. I read here somewhere that someone had recently stayed at the Walmart there. We have a 32' DP towing a Jeep.
10 REPLIES 10

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
We finally decided to stay at Coconutz in Cuyutlan and drive the Jeep up. Good choice. Nice park, though I noticed when leaving this morning that I left pretty deep ruts in the grass. I could feel the rig slowing. I knew enough to NOT stop!

Any large rigs should check the ground first. Parts of grass has nothing but sand under it. My warning was a deep hole where is looks like someone sank a wheel.

The 50 Amp service was a nice surprise, bathroom/shower room sparking clean with soap, shampoo and paper towels. No wifi

Free wifi for RV park users available at the Fenix hotel a few blocks up the street but it was very difficult for us to connect to any sites. We managed to connect once to web mail and send one message then that was it. Next to days, all attempts resulted in "too long to respond" messages.

Also not the only ATM machine is NOT set up for international banking. We had to drive into Tecoman. Good news was there is no toll between Cuyutlan and Tecoman. Access to Cuyutlan is directly off the 200D not the libre, though there may well be one, though I don't know what it would be like for a big rig.

DeanRIowa
Explorer
Explorer
Please note: I am not sure the Walmarts in Colima are open 24 hours, thus security is less, not sure if that makes a difference to you.

Dean
2015 Summerland 2820 BHGS
2016 Silverado
DW Esmeralda, DS Mathew, DD Natalie

daveB110
Explorer
Explorer
About 9 years ago we did camp at the Colima Walmart, as it was then, finding a welcoming person to show us where to park as soon as we reached the parking lot! Things may have changed, we had heard of RV's going to an old airport, but where that was we never found out. And no other. So Walmart was good to us for two days no problem whatsoever. About that same time, the same trip, we heard a story from campers who had stayed at a Sorianas or similar other lot in Colima, where they got a knock on the door at midnight, telling them they needed to move off the lot.

DeanRIowa
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a lead for you to park your camper in Colima for the night from a blog I found. It appears the bloggers are still actively posting, thus I would contact them for possible information.

If you find the overnight stay works, it might be worth posting more information here. I would be interested checking out the spot next time I am in Colima. However, if I had to guess, I would say it could be: Hacienda del Carmen.

Good luck.

Dean
2016 Silverado

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
sparksmex wrote:
RV spots at lake La Maria 22 km beyond Comala

http://sparks-mexico.com/Assorted/LaMaria/index1.htm

That arch looks like it would be tight. Have you been through it and if so what are you driving? Our DP is 8 1/2 feet wide, 10'4" including the mirrors. Our vertical clearance is 12 feet.

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
DeanRIowa wrote:
I have been to Colima probably 20 times, but never once camping, so I am not sure about camping at Walmart, but Coconutz RV Park in Cuyutlan Colima is somewhere I would love to try when I retire.

Dean
Down on the coast won't work for us. We'll be coming from Guadalajara area enroute to Puerto Vallarta and just want to spend part of the day in the city of Colima then move on to PV next morning.

Coconutz looks good for another year when we are driving up the coast from Zihuatanejo.

sparksmex
Explorer
Explorer
RV spots at lake La Maria 22 km beyond Comala

http://sparks-mexico.com/Assorted/LaMaria/index1.htm

Talleyho69
We stayed at the small private airport one night years ago. Scary, weird, not recommending it to anyone!

JerBear
Explorer
Explorer
Just stayed at Coconutz. It is a great little campground and very close to Colima. There is camping in Comala (just outside Colima) but would not really recommend it for a large rig like yours. I believe there used to be camping somewhere close to a small private airport but not sure if that still exists.
JerBear
2007 CITATION Supreme 10'8" Truck Camper,Torklift Fastguns, Torklift Tiedowns,Torklift Superhitch,Reese Front Hitch, Honda EU2000i Generator, 2x100 Watt Solar Panel /MPPT Controller, 2500 Watt Inverter.
2006 GMC 3500HD DRW Ex. Cab Truck, Duramax/Allison

DeanRIowa
Explorer
Explorer
I have been to Colima probably 20 times, but never once camping, so I am not sure about camping at Walmart, but Coconutz RV Park in Cuyutlan Colima is somewhere I would love to try when I retire.

Dean
2016 Silverado